Bontrager Race Lite SS Cranks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Bontrager Race Lite SS Cranks

Has anyone tried these? Polished/anodized gray, in 7050-T6 aluminum = Gorgeous. I wonder if a Boone spiderless chainring could be made for this?

http://www.bontrager.com/Mountain/Co...ranks/5804.php

Isis only, but with a SKF BB should be a sweet setup.

Edit - Just realized these are spec'd on the GF Rig. What do you think, Rig owners?
    Last edited by pinepig; 08-23-2006 at 11:00 PM.

No Justice = No Peace

nice

and they are available in 180mm....
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

mtbr member
    i saw those i the shop today, very sweet, looked as nice as XTR's or Holzfeller's

mutaullyassuredsuffering

not good I hear....

My buddy has been racing with those this season. He says that his bb worked itself loose regularly and that the beautiful coating flaked off his cranks. He swapped them out for some middleburn cranks. I have a new set on my bike with 1 mile on them so I was not excited to hear this news......

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by used2Bhard
    My buddy has been racing with those this season. He says that his bb worked itself loose regularly and that the beautiful coating flaked off his cranks. He swapped them out for some middleburn cranks. I have a new set on my bike with 1 mile on them so I was not excited to hear this news......
    Good thing we changed to a non-plated, Super Aluminum finish and re-designed the guard to be even cooler looking!

Expect them to begin arriving in the next 6 weeks.
    "A wheel is greater than the sum of it's parts...", Me (I think)

R I D E S T E E L
    Those look amazingly identical to the Truvativs, like those in this ebay ad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Truvativ-Stylo-S...ayphotohosting

The newer ones are just about identical. A friend had the new Stylos with the integrated BB on his 1 x 9 and they creaked like all he**. Ended up ditching them.

I'd put money down that they're the same thing, just with a different badge. A lot of the newer products out there are products developed overseas, (Tawain, China, etc.) then the designs sent over via catalog to different manufacturers who buy into the products and stick their name on them. Not exactly innovative thinking. And I think it explains failures with a lot of products that aren't necessarily proven.

They look sharp, but I think the Middleburns, ENOs, or even Shimanos would be a safer bet.

Just hit it with speed
    They came stock with my Fisher Rig

Edit: Just read the bottom of your post about them being stock, officially my most useless post

I probably would not be the best to give you a review on them. All that I can say is that they do look pretty damn sweet. The pictures don't do the color justice. I've managed to chip mine but besides that they feel like tanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yes, Bontrager cranks have been made by Truvativ for many years and it is no big secret. Apart from low end stuff the designs are different. I'd say it is a good route to go...get the Bontrager team to do the design then get it made by Truvativ who are one of the best chainset makers out there.

On a different note I know the cranks on the 2005 Rig had a powerspline not an ISIS bottom bracket. Powerspline b.b.'s have a bad rep but look fairly similar to ISIS, so check carefully what bb you need before buying one of these chainsets.

Members who have read this thread: 0