Bonehead Math - Steerer Tube Length and Minimum Insertion to Stem- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Upset Bonehead Math - Steerer Tube Length and Minimum Insertion to Stem

OK, I have been slowly building up parts for my "budget" SS build for about 5 months. I finally got my frame sanded and rattlecanned and got my headset pressed in. I install the crown race on my $8 ebay GT cromo fork and slide it through the headset...

I can't believe my miscalculation, but I only have 15/16" of steerer above the top of the headset. The steerer is still uncut. My stem is 1.5" tall and I am wondering if this amount of insertion is enough. I am guessing not since the standard top bolt just touches the top of the star nut, so I need a longer bolt at the very least.

Any advice, other than to get a new fork with a longer steerer?

Thanks.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    It's been my understanding that the steerer tube should be no less than 5mm (1/4") below the top of your stem, but I could be mistaken. Although this sounds right.?.? Yeah, I'm pretty sure thats correct........yeah.

mtbr member

budget it is

Quote Originally Posted by ccwenk

Thanks.
    Nothing that would be cheaper than another fork at $8.

(e.g. get a new steerer tube pressed into the fork)

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    A stem with less "stack height" will do the job. You need to get one with less than 30mm (about 1-1/4 inch) I'd say; if its less than 25mm, you can run a spacer underneath!

Cheaper stems tend to have more stack, because its a cheap way to design in strength without adding a lot of weight. The Easton Vice stem has a 1" stack, would be perfect (if its the right length / rise for yah), but it costs almost $50! It might be you could find a cheapn low-stack road stem and run shims to hold the bar... but it will probably be flexy.

Best and cheapest solution looks like new fork. You can probably e-bay the old one, too, given the rage for ridged SS going on...

H8 H8 H8

Saago

Quote Originally Posted by ccwenk
    OK, I have been slowly building up parts for my "budget" SS build for about 5 months. I finally got my frame sanded and rattlecanned and got my headset pressed in. I install the crown race on my $8 ebay GT cromo fork and slide it through the headset...

I can't believe my miscalculation, but I only have 15/16" of steerer above the top of the headset. The steerer is still uncut. My stem is 1.5" tall and I am wondering if this amount of insertion is enough. I am guessing not since the standard top bolt just touches the top of the star nut, so I need a longer bolt at the very least.

Thanks.
    I was just in this situation. An Avid SAAGO stem with a collet style clamp will fix you
    up right. I just got one new in box off e-bay for about $25. You might find a used rigid
    fork for less than that, but it's an option. The guy I bought it from has a bunch of them
    in a pretty good assortment of sizes. It's a nice stem.

ZB
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

6x7=Dont Panic!
    I'm running a stem on a short steerer and have no problem. Its a ritchey stem and they said that its fine to use it on a short steerer as long as the top of the steerer comes to the center of the top stem bolt. Or you could always get a used thomson. That clamp covers a lot of surface area and should work very well with a short steerer.
    Herro prease

semi-evolved simian
    How much steerer tube do you need ? I've got a cromo fork gathering dust in the back of the garage that you'd be welcome to have if it's long enough.1 1/8" steerer or 1"? If not that one then I'm sure someone else on the forum has one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It is 1 1/8" and I need 8.5" of steerer.

I am considering just biting the bullet and getting the Surly or the Kona P2 fork. I found the guy on ebay with the SAAGO stems, but technically I don't have enough steerer even for that. I have 23mm of steerer protruding above the headset and the SAAGO wants >26mm.

If someone does have a rigid fork that meets the above criteria that they are looking to get rid of, let me know. I hope this doesn't set off the SPAM police. Thanks for the offer.

Members who have read this thread: 0