"Bob" on my fully rigid 1x1????- Mtbr.com
    TR
    Angry bunny

"Bob" on my fully rigid 1x1????

I have ridden my Surly 1x1 rigid a couple of times now on a paved route around my town and have noticed a weird bobbing feeling while pedaling. Any thoughts as to what is causing this??

Tyre pressure??
    Crap pedalling style??
    Just get used to it as it is normal??

I am running IRC Trailbears and am running them at about 40psi if that is helpful.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I have found that suspension can smooth out a rough pedal stroke. If you have not ridden rigid for a while it can feel choppy.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

TR
    Angry bunny
    Cheers Shiggy
    Interestingly I found that it is mainly when I am on flatter sections (perhaps when I am on the verge of spinning out).
    I don't have any problems with it when I am climbing. Mmmmmmmm climbing.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Yup, high cadence is when you are most likely to have a bouncy pedal stroke - on any bike.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Me Bob 2

I went on ride #4 on my SS convert (from a Stumpy hardtail) and I too noticed a bobbing. I have front suspension but it didn't seem to smooth the stroke. It only seemed to occur on gentle downgrades on hard, flat surfaces when my cadence was near max - about when pedaling will do nothing at all. Otherwise, for climbing or out of the seat descending, I'm loving the SS.

I wondered if it was my frame geometry (which I loved when I had gears and feels right sofar as I know about SS) or the fact that my cadence is near max.

I'm considering a true upgrade to SS specific geometry but so far the conversion is working for me. It's interesting to others have felt the bob.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    If I understand correctly, this happens when you try to spin past your limit, and it feels like you're bouncing in the saddle. I get this all the time going downhill on my fixie because eventually my legs can't keep up with the pedals while spinning smoothly. If you spin a lot at high cadences, it'll go away, or at least it'll move up to a higher cadence.

the cool nerd

flex

or, if my friends are correct, you could be feeling the effect of 1x1 flex. One of my riding partners swears that when I'm dropping him on my 1x1, he can see the rear clearly flexing over the rocks. Of course, he can't see it for very long

scott

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

The bob

Quote Originally Posted by TR
    I have ridden my Surly 1x1 rigid a couple of times now on a paved route around my town and have noticed a weird bobbing feeling while pedaling. Any thoughts as to what is causing this??

Tyre pressure??
    Crap pedalling style??
    Just get used to it as it is normal??

I am running IRC Trailbears and am running them at about 40psi if that is helpful.

Sure you are, this should be expected. If you are just getting used to the higher cadence of the ss you'll note the bob at the top end of your cadence. The cure: be conscious of your pedal stroke. Just like on your road bike, be aware of your stroke all the way around the revolution of your crank. As soon as your cadence gets high its easy to neglect the up stroke on the pedal, resulting in the bob. If you use a clipless pedal you'll be more apt to have control of the pedal stroke all the way around the revolution. Obviously this happens less off road when there is more constant pressure being applied all the way around. But on downhills, flats and pavement you'll need to work on this skill. \

A simlple exercise that you can perform to develop a more even and efficient pedal stroke is to alternate pedaling your bike with one leg for a few minutes at a time. Feels goofy, looks goofy but it works. This is how the road bikers work on what they call tempo. As much as dirt riders seem to forget it, tempo skills translate very well to being faster off road, ss or geared.

later

b