BMX parts- Mtbr.com

Thread: BMX parts

Thread Killer

BMX parts

has anybody used bmx cranks, bb's, and chainrings for a singlespeed? or is there some sort of glaring compatibility issues i didn't notice...like different crank arm lengths, or bb widths?
    I ride a 26'er with tubes and rim brakes.
    Yeah, I'm basically living in the stone age.

@adelorenzo
    Just get the Euro bottom bracket and you can run BMX cranks on a mountain bike. I have Profile Racing cranks on two of my bikes, they are awesome.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have Sinz Expert square tapers on my GT Outpost Trail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Aren't BMX chainrings 110 bolt circle like standard 5 bolt cranks?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by autoduel
    BMX chainrings are single bolt. I don't know what the distance is, but it's definatelynot 4 or 5 bolt like mtb chainrings.

mtbr member
    A lot depends on which BMX bit you're trying to use. Those I have looked at seem solidly built, but often heavier than you'd want on a XC bike.

There are some great SS rear hubs for BMX, but too narrow for most MTB applications.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    This is an interesting topic, even if I suspect its been done in the past. Could a few of you who have incorporated bmx components on to your bike please post pictures and describe what you used?

Hoosier
    The only BMX part I used was minor- chainring bolts. They are shorter and worked with my single chainring when I did my conversion.
    SS is like beer...its an acquired taste.

mtbr member
    BMX cranks (i.e., tubular chromoly arms with a single bolt chainwheel) will work fine with an SS MTB. The only issue is spindle length. Most BMX spindles are made to work with 110mm rear spacing. Profile makes a longer spindle for MTB applications (135 mm rear spacing), though.

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    Profile cranks & BMX sprocket:
    Scratch_build4.jpg
    My frame has an American BB, so I was able to use the Standard Profile BB. You could get their Euro BB kit and be good to go. In the back I run a White FW. To get a proper chainline I had to move my sprocket out further than I initially intended. So, make sure you get the proper length spindle - you can call Profile if you're unsure what you need...

Tom P.
    Last edited by one piece crank; 01-05-2009 at 09:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

BMX Parts

I also have Profile cranks (180mm) on my Monocog. I used a Redline euro bottom bracket with a Profile spindle and DK BMX chainwheel. The chainwheel is a 36T -- much larger would probably not have had enough frame clearance with my combo (Nexus hub). I'm also using a KMC BMX chain.

The bottom bracket outer center bolts sandwich everything together. The correct chainline is obtained by using the proper shim washers between the bottom bracket bearing and the crank arm. The washers are included with the bottom bracket. As far as the correct spindle length, figure out the chainline distance from center, account for chainwheel thickness, add spindle insertion length into crank arm (about 2/3 insertion or so for the Profiles), and multiply by 2. I also made sure the crank arms had about the same frame clearance on each side.

I'm also using 4" rise Robinson BMX cruiser handle bars, a 69mm reach Marzocchi BMX stem, and Animal BMX bar end plugs. I like the more upright position, the chrome, and the sweep of the bars.

As for the BMX chain rings, there are all kinds of 110mm 5-bolt BMX chain rings that could be used.

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    blue78,

I would have used that stem if I'd found it! My original target was 70mm, but do to the severe mixed-use I planned for this bike I settled for 53mm Fly BMX stem. Now that I'm acustomed to it, I'm not sure the additional 16mm would be worth the effort. Still, it's nice to know it does exist!

Tom P.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    my bb and my crank set is all bmx parts and the chain as well
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Nice monocog.Very bmx cruzer like.

@adelorenzo
    Quote Originally Posted by autoduel
    BMX chainrings fit over the spindle and are locked in place by a single bolt. However, you can get a spider that fits on there to run single, double or triple rings in all commonly available measurements.

likes beer
    every build I do incorporates some BMX part......its just part of who I am

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    My monocog is in the process of being redone currently.

But I run,

Redline filghts
    Profile chainwheel
    Profile chain tensioners

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by manida
    every build I do incorporates some BMX part......its just part of who I am

Me too, there are alot of similarities

mtbr member
    try checking out ebay they usually have some stuff on there

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm new to this forum, so I don't know if I'm committing a crime by not introducing myself first, but here goes...

On my current singlespeed (which is actually my old geared hardtail reborn with new dropouts), I'm running 180mm profile bmx cranks with a euro-bb conversion and 135mm spindle. The one difference I'm seeing between my setup and the rest of you guys is my use of a four-bolt "spyder". Its similar to the five-bolt two piece sprockets of old but allows the use of newer, conventional four bold mtb chainrings in tooth counts that are strange to the bmx world, like my 32. And yes, autoduel, MOST of the old two-piece bmx spyders were 5-bolt 110 pattern. I can supply pictures of my setup if anyone wants. My spyder is mfg by profile, it's a real ***** to find on their site but is available thru them or your lbs. If lbs can't find it, tell them to look on qbp's website, it's there, only available only in silver, not black as advertised. Be prepared. I almost forgot, for a tooth-count as small as 32, you need to take some material the ends of the spyder closer to the chainring bolt, or the chain rides up on top of the spyder. A 34t can be run with no modification. Um...

Profile spindles in 135 width are ti or solid chromoly only. The cromo ones are heavy mother-effers, and the ti ones are stupid expensive. A few years back, fsa or someone was making a cheap-ish ti profile spindle, but I haven't been able to find one new anymore. I also haven't looked very hard, because I'm fat and don't really trust ti spindles with my weight combined with the length of my crank arms. I'm thinking about just milling the **** out of my cromo spindle to drop some weight and add a little flex without too much risk of breakage. Anyway, I think that's it... fitting bmx cranks on your mountain bike is easy-cheezy, as long as you can get a spindle long enough.

mtbr member
    danscomp.com sells a couple ti spindles theres tons more sit but dont have time to list the all
    and as far as running bmx parts on a mountain bike if it fit and work run it

mtbr member
    I just installed some new Profile Cranks on my SS, the color was a close match so I just had to do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yo!
    mtbr member
    If you want to run a BMX style crank designed on the MTB platform, check out the Deity Vendettas.

mtbr member
    i think most MTB platform pedals are gawdy and weak looking. I don't trust them so i run some sealed Odyssey Jim C. pedals with extra-long pins.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    My Monocog with BMX parts.

Redline Flight cranks

Profile chainwheel

Profile Chain tensioners

Stolen bar ends

Old school 1980 Proline graphics

as manida said, it's just part of who I am......
    Attached Images Attached Images

likes beer
    Are you reading my freaking mind? THIS is what I was planning on doing to my Monocog....pretty much exactly. WOW. Im amazed to see this here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

I think any Monocg owner with BMX roots, especially the early 80's has had this thought cross their mind.

I think everyone of us remembers when they first saw the white Prolines, it was one of those iconic bikes, even if you didn't own one.

mtbr member
    Nice! The decals are bringing me back. I think I'm getting inspired.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR Streetgang
    Nice! The decals are bringing me back. I think I'm getting inspired.

I was really happy the way the decals came out.

I really like the look of the Reba with the old school graphics......

Members who have read this thread: 0