bmx cranks for ss?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

bmx cranks for ss?

i know i've read that some of you are running bmx cranks on your ss. didn't come up with anything on search, so here goes.

i was lurking around the LBS for parts for my explosif 29 build and came across a set of redline bmx cranks that looked pretty sweet. anyone running bmx cranks and what do ya think? i believe it was the adjustable bb that was used to adjust the chainline that made them work well. anyway, whatcha think?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    As long as it has Euro cups, adjustable chainline, and you don't have abnormally with cahinstays it should work just fine.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buconine
    i was lurking around the LBS for parts for my explosif 29 build and came across a set of redline bmx cranks that looked pretty sweet. anyone running bmx cranks and what do ya think? i believe it was the adjustable bb that was used to adjust the chainline that made them work well. anyway, whatcha think?

I run a Redline BB and crankset on my 26" Kappa cruiser, and it rocks. Very stiff, and the floating spindle allows you to get infinitely picky with the chainline. I'm talking perfect alignment. Never off-roaded it, but those things are over-built for ham-fisted teenagers launching off of 9' vertical jumps. Like ihatemubike said, just be sure you get the Euro kit, not Spanish or American. They take any 9/16" pedal spindle as well.
    “The only Zen you find on tops of mountains is the Zen you bring there”---Robert M. Pirsig

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FODM
    I run a Redline BB and crankset on my 26" Kappa cruiser, and it rocks. Very stiff, and the floating spindle allows you to get infinitely picky with the chainline. I'm talking perfect alignment. Never off-roaded it, but those things are over-built for ham-fisted teenagers launching off of 9' vertical jumps. Like ihatemubike said, just be sure you get the Euro kit, not Spanish or American. They take any 9/16" pedal spindle as well.
    pretty much nailed it there. I am one of those teens launching off 9' jumps and I use bmx cranks for my mtb. Just make sure they are Euro...not american, mid, or spanish BB's. I buy all my bmx stuff from www.danscomp.com
    Singlespeed since September 24, 2006.

In FTF We Trust
    I ran a set of SE BMX cranks on my ti. SS for a little while (180mm). They were hell-for-stout and worked great but they were a bit too wide q-factor-wise so they got replaced with a set of White ENO's. The BMX cranks are up for sale now (hint-hint).
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Profile cranks drew blood...

On my down stroke, during climbs and technical sections, my ankle would sometimes clip the end of the spindle. Stained my socks and was really painful due to the lack of muscle and fat in that area.

I have since switched to a truvativ downhill cranks. Very solid but not as solid. The no blood/pain factor makes up for it.

Members who have read this thread: 0