Blown bearings in one piece crank.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Blown bearings in one piece crank.

2 weeks ago i put new cups, bearings and all that into a scrap frame i picked up....it was running fine...felt smooth pedaled good.

I take it apart today because i have decided to paint the frame...and the bearings are all blown up and the balls are falling on the floor!!!!? Anyone know what would cause this to happen?

Could the crank arm not be wide enough? Could if of happened when i was removing the crank arm? Did i crank something too tight? I did pack them with loads of bike grease. I made sure to get the right stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sounds like they were overtightened. You could always get a converter and some different cranks.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    might of been...but when i used them everything pedaled fine and all that..wasn't like it was hard to pedal or anything...

i did leave a big washer out...but i had no idea where it was supposed to go...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    When you used them they probably felt fine, but how did they feel by hand?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    When you used them they probably felt fine, but how did they feel by hand?
    what do you mean? They didn't seem hard when i moved the pedals with my hand to check...

I did look at the bearings and they looked pretty weak though... The craftsmanship looked slighty bad on it...

Members who have read this thread: 0