Black sheep? EBB?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Black sheep? EBB?

I've been riding a steel ss, but the frame doesn't fit that great, top tube is a bit long for me. Would love to get a custom bike built. Thinking of Black Sheep. Not sure if I should go steel or Ti? Also have not ridden with EBB? What are the + and - of EBB vs. the horizontal drop outs?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Ebb +/-

Eccentrics are nice in that you can run vertical dropouts with a disc and have the caliper fixed in place. With horizontal you are either forced to run rim, or a caliper in crescent shaped holes which allow you to slide the caliper into the correct position. I have also seen a vertical dropouts/fixed caliper plate that screws on the chainstays, so you can move the entire dropout/caliper plate in order to tension the chain. I only have experience with eccentrics and my biggest gripe is that it creeks. Periodically, it requires extraction, cleaning and greasing, and the tightening screw should be monitored. It will come loose, and you will drop your chain. Another criticism is that when you rotate the EBB it changes the fit of your bike. As the bottom bracket moves forward or back you may need to adjust your seat position to correctly position yourself over your pedals. This in turn affects your fit in that you would be more or less stretched out. But once find your correct ratio you will no longer need to reposition your EBB/seat. I think all the designs have flaws, but mainly if left unattended. The idea of a brake caliper getting loose and sliding around crescent shaped holes scares me as does the idea that the dropout/ caliper plate may come loose. Regardless, get a singlespeed, maintain it, enjoy!

Members who have read this thread: 0