Black Hills Single Speed Championship- Mtbr.com
    HIKE!

Black Hills Single Speed Championship

Sunday, July 16. Rockerville, SD (12 miles south of Rapid City, near Mt Rushmore) See more details at www.bhmba.org

The 2005 Black Hills Singlespeed Championship was hotly contested, this year looks to be as well. Tattoos (but not mandatory) for the winning male and female. Lots of fun to be had, and a great time in the beautiful Black Hills, if you are out here on vacation, put it on your schedule!

www.acmebicycles.com

HIKE!

oh, forgot to mention

... maybe even a special prime for any 29er riders that podium.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Information Please

OK,
    I could not find any specific course info on the link (just e-mail address) Save me the effort of playing the e-mail game with the contacts, and give me the specifics.
    Course desription, and cost?

TIA,

C.

HIKE!

$10

Well, it's $10 for BHMBA members and $15 for non-members. $20 for geared bikes and they get $5 back if they can look me in the eye and say they didn't shift (rewards good liars, or honest people) after the race. Any cash donations help build a Dirt Jumping Park in Rapid City (see www.bhmba.org)

No t-shirts, a few donated bits of schwag, no elaborate trophies, but a tattoo gift certificate for the winning male and female (not mandatory). Low key, race promoter gets a 60 second headstart, that sorta race.

The course is about 11 miles, 1,800 feet of climbing, really single speed friendly undulating terrain, forested, rocky in spots, opening dirt road climb for a mile before settling into a short 2 track section to allow for plenty of passing before hitting the singletrack.

Q's?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

sounds good.............

sparrow,
    Sounds like a cool race. How many laps total? How is the camping scene, or is it mostly hotel for out of towner's??

C.

Quote Originally Posted by sparrow
    Well, it's $10 for BHMBA members and $15 for non-members. $20 for geared bikes and they get $5 back if they can look me in the eye and say they didn't shift (rewards good liars, or honest people) after the race. Any cash donations help build a Dirt Jumping Park in Rapid City (see www.bhmba.org)

No t-shirts, a few donated bits of schwag, no elaborate trophies, but a tattoo gift certificate for the winning male and female (not mandatory). Low key, race promoter gets a 60 second headstart, that sorta race.

The course is about 11 miles, 1,800 feet of climbing, really single speed friendly undulating terrain, forested, rocky in spots, opening dirt road climb for a mile before settling into a short 2 track section to allow for plenty of passing before hitting the singletrack.

Q's?

HIKE!

It's sorta one and a half laps

The starting dirt road climb intersects the main loop, so it's up the road, onto the loop's final couple of miles, then back around the whole loop once. Totalling 11 miles.

Lots of USFS land for off the books, boondock type camping, just get off a graded road over 100 feet, and no open fires. Other pay campgrounds in Hill City (about 20 more miles south) or closer in in Rapid City, just a 12 miles north. And motels abound. It is land of the tourist.

You've got Reptile Gardens, Bear Country, Rushmore Cave, blah blah, and it is all fun. Go Kart Racing, indoor cosmic mini-putt golfing, a major league petting zoo for the kiddies and camping, lining Hwy 16 between the race venue and Rapid City.

40 racers last year, not huge. No numbers given out, just shout your name as you cross the line. Heck, since I'm racing, too, riders may have to write down their own finish order until I get my butt around the loop.

mtbr member
    The starting dirt road climb intersects the main loop, so it's up the road, onto the loop's final couple of miles, then back around the whole loop once. Totalling 11 miles.

Lots of USFS land for off the books, boondock type camping, just get off a graded road over 100 feet, and no open fires. Other pay campgrounds in Hill City (about 20 more miles south) or closer in in Rapid City, just a 12 miles north. And motels abound. It is land of the tourist.

You've got Reptile Gardens, Bear Country, Rushmore Cave, blah blah, and it is all fun. Go Kart Racing, indoor cosmic mini-putt golfing, a major league petting zoo for the kiddies and camping, lining Hwy 16 between the race venue and Rapid City.

40 racers last year, not huge. No numbers given out, just shout your name as you cross the line. Heck, since I'm racing, too, riders may have to write down their own finish order until I get my butt around the loop.

Hey Sparrow,

I don't know if you remember me, but my wife and I stopped in to visit with you a few weeks ago. Thanks for the local trail info BTW.

In all the Rapid City tourist rundown stuff, you missed probably the most important for this crowd. The Firehouse Brewing Co. Ummmmmmm...... Smokejumper Stout is my favorite!

Maybe I should bring the El Toro over and spend a day with you guys. I looked at the link you posted, but I did not see any entry fee listed. Do you know how much they are going to run?

Thanks for the info.

Tom from Gillette
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Nice...............

sparrow,
    Sounds good, thanks for the info.

C.

This place needs an enema
    ... maybe even a special prime for any 29er riders that podium.
    Yer givin out Hopey's to all the big-wheelers that finish?

Can't wait to tell everyone...

MC

banned

Q's?
    That sounds like a nice trail! I wish I was riding when I still had family in the area (my late grandparents lived in Lead).

HIKE!

Hopey's, Jones Bars, Gravity Droppers....

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Yer givin out Hopey's to all the big-wheelers that finish?

Can't wait to tell everyone...

MC

Oh, the possibilities!

HIKE!

Race is on July 16!

Pictures of the course here:

http://www.bhmba.org/Events/EventsBHCA007R.htm

that may give you an idea of the trail and terrain, sorta. Raffeling a 2006 Kona Unit 29 Frame at the race, 18" and you must be present and registered for the race to win!

$10 for BHMBA members and $15 for non-members. $20 for geared bikes and they get $5 back if they can look me in the eye and say they didn't shift (rewards good liars, or honest people) after the race. Any cash donations help build a Dirt Jumping Park in Rapid City (see www.bhmba.org) No t-shirts, a KONA UNIT 29 Frame to give away raffle style, no elaborate trophies, but a tattoo gift certificate for the winning male and female (not mandatory). Low key, race promoter gets a 60 second headstart, that sorta race. The course is about 11+ miles, 1,800 feet of climbing, really single speed friendly undulating terrain, forested, rocky in spots, opening dirt road climb for a mile before settling into a short 2 track section to allow for plenty of passing before hitting the singletrack. Park and register at Rockerville, 8:30a-9:15a, race starts promptly at 9:30

Members who have read this thread: 0