Biocentric II - HELP- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Biocentric II - HELP

Hey guys. I am currently trying to set up a single speed and have a few questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Will the biocentric II work on a bb30 and does anyone know what the ID (internal diameter) of the bottom bracket is? I recently tried pressing in E46 Problem Solver but the cup was way to big. I'm trying to setup a carbon frame from China with a shimano xt crank set single speed.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Quote Originally Posted by mmanuel09 View Post
    Hey guys. I am currently trying to set up a single speed and have a few questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Will the biocentric II work on a bb30 and does anyone know what the ID (internal diameter) of the bottom bracket is? I recently tried pressing in E46 Problem Solver but the cup was way to big. I'm trying to setup a carbon frame from China with a shimano xt crank set single speed.
    According to Niner, BBII designed to work specifically with their frames only. They suggest you don't use it on other frames even if you can get it to fit properly.

It's worth noting that they recommend against using the BCII with their own Air 9 carbon frames as well because the carbon press fit bottom brackets can distort the BB shell. Their single speed specific One 9 has an aluminum reinforced bottom bracket shell.

Edit: The Biocentric 30 is designed for use with a PF 30 bottom bracket shell, but Niner only recommends it for their aluminum frames. They don't really talk about compatibility with other bike brands.

mtbr member
    Pretty much what Ogre said, the Biocentric II will not work in a BB30 bottom bracket shell. The diameters are different.

This may work though: Eccentric Bottom Bracket for BB30 & 24mm (Shimano) Cranks - Red

Then again, it may crush the carbon bottom bracket shell.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I have a friend who set up a BB30 China frame with a beer ebb. The frame had an aluminium bb shell. It worked fine until the bb shell broke loose of the carbon frame and then spun in situ. There was nothing fixing the shell in place other than the carbon wrapped around it. SSing puts a lot of strain on the bb area. So whilst you can get it to work (with the right bb shell) I would not say it is a reliable way of SSing a carbon frame.
    As mentioned before the EBBII is for Niner frames only built with the oversized BB shell - One 9 RDO, Sir 9, ROS 9 etc. The Niner EBB30 is for PF30 BBs such as their Air 9 alloy and RLT 9.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I saw this and contacted Wheels Manufacturing. There might be a problem with their system pressing all the way into the alum shell. I think my best bet is Beer Components (since that's what was set up in there before me - I got the frame from a friend who single speeds). I'm hoping beer components will work with a 24mm spindle. Thanks Guys!

Saving lives with knives.
    I have one in a PF30 shell. Works flawlessly.

http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/w...ic-949407.html
    Formerly known as iceaxe