Bikes for work scheme- Mtbr.com
    I ride a Swarf

Bikes for work scheme

Hi

My work is offering a sallary sacrifice scheme which include buying a bike (intended for use to ride to work on 50% or more of its riding time...which it will). The deal means I pay about 250 quid for a 400 quid bike (can spend up to a grand, paying about 600 pounds) over 12 months...woo hoo.

I was going to get a PC on the scheme, but thats for 3 years (which commits me to work for 3 years) )but I am thinking 3 years is a long time and anything could happen, and I need a commuter bike so I don't have to keep using my fsr just for work like at the moment.

I was thinking of getting the Spesh Langster, but it doesn't have mud guard mounts...so I figured keep it british and get an On-One Il Pompino.

Hopefully Halfords the shop/chain will be able to source one, they are getting back to me tomorrow.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Wow that's sweet, too bad companies over here (US) don't do the same thing.

I ride a Swarf
    It really is quite a sweet deal. Its quite nice how it works, basically you say your salary is less than it is, and you don't pay tax and national insurance on the reduction, so you get the item cheaper. Quite cool.

They are also doing a dental plan...I have austin powers style teeth lol...I am british after all lol. and the plan even cover conditions pre dating the plan according to the web site. so as long as i can find a dentist that will knock me out (I HATE DENTISTS) I might be able to get em sorted!

Stu

mtbr member

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart B
    It really is quite a sweet deal. Its quite nice how it works, basically you say your salary is less than it is, and you don't pay tax and national insurance on the reduction, so you get the item cheaper. Quite cool.

They are also doing a dental plan...I have austin powers style teeth lol...I am british after all lol. and the plan even cover conditions pre dating the plan according to the web site. so as long as i can find a dentist that will knock me out (I HATE DENTISTS) I might be able to get em sorted!

Stu
    I didn't that the UK had dentists! Sorry for that. Pompino would be a very cool commuter and work pays for part, sweet deal.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Let us know how you get on with Halfords - I'm sure my employers would do the same sort of thing but my local Halfords leaves a lot to be desired in terms of range and staff knowledge.

I ride a Swarf
    Quote Originally Posted by robkhoo
    Let us know how you get on with Halfords - I'm sure my employers would do the same sort of thing but my local Halfords leaves a lot to be desired in terms of range and staff knowledge.
    Will do....unfortunately it has to be through Halfords. The bikes for worl ppl seem ok, but I don't trust the monkeys at the local store where it will probably have to be delivered to. I have seen three of them standing around one bike trying to get the gears indexed!

Stu

mtbr member
    Is there anything on the net about this? could do with some info myself.....

Ta, Djuc

Retro Grouch

Good job! That's how I got my Bontrager

Hi

My work is offering a sallary sacrifice scheme which include buying a bike (intended for use to ride to work on 50% or more of its riding time...which it will). The deal means I pay about 250 quid for a 400 quid bike (can spend up to a grand, paying about 600 pounds) over 12 months...woo hoo.

Stu
    Back in 1998 the City of Santa Cruz (CA, USA) offered an interest free loan up to $800 for a bike, hoping you would use it for commuting (no promises); then they took it out of my paycheck for a year; ended up being about $35 every other week. I really didn't even notice the difference. Years later I actually did commute to work on a bike, even on the Bonty (as a SS) a couple of times. It's a great deal; commit for a year and go for it.

1G1G, Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aka brad; 10-07-2005 at 06:08 PM.

I ride a Swarf
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuc Wun
    Is there anything on the net about this? could do with some info myself.....

Ta, Djuc
    I think the company that is involved in the organisation of all this is www.motivano.co.uk

Stu

Mangina?
    Hi

I was going to get a PC on the scheme, but thats for 3 years (which commits me to work for 3 years) )but I am thinking 3 years is a long time and anything could happen, and I need a commuter bike so I don't have to keep using my fsr just for work like at the moment.

I was thinking of getting the Spesh Langster, but it doesn't have mud guard mounts...so I figured keep it british and get an On-One Il Pompino.

Hopefully Halfords the shop/chain will be able to source one, they are getting back to me tomorrow.

Stu

it is grand indeed.

i do this in australia and can sacrifice upto $15500 tax free a year to pay for things like laptops, rent, credit card debt, etc. although my wage is shite instead of losing 800 on tax i end up losing only 350 a fortnight on tax when salary sacrificing...

here in australia though you are only able to do it if you work for a health system or community organisation.

Members who have read this thread: 0