Bike transportation questions.....- Mtbr.com
    Bikes not Bombs.....

Bike transportation questions.....

OK... I trust most of you guys/gals here on the SS board. So I can expect legit answers this time... right?

I turned in the Tacoma truck (which transported my bikes very well and quite simply) for a new Scion XB company car ( not quite big enough to put inside without taking off front wheels). I have been looking for a top of the vehicle bike carrier and have narrowed it down some... either Thule or Yakima.

Any of you SS'ers have any real world experience transporting your bike(s) on a top of the vehicle carrier? What brand/models? What to look for? Any assesories that are a must?

This should be good for cannon fodder for awhile.....let er go....

Yeah... I know... no drive thru's....with the bikes on top.

Thanks

JS
    Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... -

hot like a box of fire
    well i'm a cheap baSStard, so i go with the front wheel off and into the back of the dirty hatchback method, but let me compliment you on the xB. I'm really digging the mini milk van look.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I use the Yakima rack with Steelhead bike carriers. This system has been through a few cars and I've had no problems. They seem to be bombproof. I would also get the front wheel carrier to keep dirty wheels out of the car.

I've never used Thule so I can't give an opinion on them but Ihear they are OK.

mtbr member
    I use an old Yakima roof top system with fork mounts and the short wheel trays. I don't like the long trays because they connect the front and rear crossbars together, forcing you to remove and store the rack as a single large assembly.

For transporting a single bike I use a fork mount (Biketight) mounted to a 1" x 6" board that fits across the bed of my S-10 Blazer. A bike can be wheeled in backwards and the fork secured to the Biketight. Works really well. You probably have enough flat floor length in the Scion to do the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cross4
    I use the Yakima rack with Steelhead bike carriers. This system has been through a few cars and I've had no problems. They seem to be bombproof. I would also get the front wheel carrier to keep dirty wheels out of the car.

I've never used Thule so I can't give an opinion on them but Ihear they are OK.

Ditto that.... I've been using a Yakima rack on my car for about 4 years now. No problems at all. I have separate front wheel mounts, but after my brand new wheel launched itself into traffic (and amazing rolled into an adjacent parking lot unscathed) I took them off and started packing the wheels in the trunk. I would definitely recommend Yakima though... they make good stuff.

-Josh

mtbr member
    If you ever haul other people's bikes definitely look into the mounts that let you put the whole bike up top without having to remove the wheel. It's more convenient and if you happen to have a friend with a lefty fork it's very nice.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    I've owned both. I like Yakima better. The Steelhead mounts can be moved around or taken off easier than the VeloVise. Also, the round bars make the accessories conform to your car better.

As for the mounts where the front wheel remains on, I have a Yaki King Cobra. It's pretty tall, and it's nice how it doesn't have to touch the frame.

"Mr. Britannica"

ditto

Have used Yakima for prob 10 years. New stuff is nicer, but Steelhead w/locking skewers doesn't give much clearance for mtn bike forks. I don't use discs but there could be some interference there, although the fix is easy (bend or cut tray). Interesting that the front wheel mounts used to come w/bike mounts- not any more.

All that said, inside is always better and at least a couple of bikes ought to fit inside a XB, no? It would be much cheaper to buy/make a simple front wheel mount than get a rack, plus you usually gotta take off the front wheel to mount anyway. If you're not used to driving with bikes on top and have a garage, you could be in for it. Also, some employers won't allow racks on company cars- you might want to check first.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    We have the Yakima bars w/ the Sportworks rooftop version called "Bob Ratchet."
    2 bikes, wheels on, on the roof, solid.

Here's the wife and a friend going riding with the bikes mounted up top.