Which bike.....help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Which bike.....help

Ok....so I have been itching for a 29er. I have a FullSussy 26" that is my main bike. Not sure how I will like a 29er so I have been toying around with getting one of the Bikes Direct SS to try it out and have narrowed my decision to either an SE Stout or Cliff 29.1. I like these because in case I hate the SS I can hang a RD and make a 9spd.

Here is the twist and where my decision gets harder. I have a guy on Craigslist here selling a 2010 Specialized RockhopperSL SS for $500. The bike has been ridden on pavement only. My issue is, while this may seem like a no brainer, the Hopper is a singlspeed for life since there are no braze ons for shifter cables and what not.

So, $350ish for bikes with Vbrakes or mech discs that can be upgraded to geared bikes...or...

$500 for a current model name brand SS with good parts spec that can't be geared later...

My thinking is the parts alone on the Rockhopper will be worth the chance...advice...?

local trails rider
    I already like SS, so I'd go and see that Rockhopper: I'd want to see for myself that it is in good condition and the right size for me.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    buy the hopper, it's a much better bike. You arent stuck with it for life if you don't like it, you can sell it and probably get all of your money back. The bike already depreciated, and he is taking the hit so you dont have to if you decide to resell it. If you buy one of the other bikes, you will take a loss. The odds of you not liking the SS are really slim, judging by the usual trend. You almost never hear "this just isnt for me".

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I am 6'1" and the frame is a 19". Feels perfect....actually met him and rode it in the lot. The bike is brand new(which I am worried about....still had a tag on the front skewer, something sketchy?) Talked to the police and my LBS....cops won't run the S/N and said bikes get stolen everyday. My LBS said there is not much anyone can do if there has been foul play. It bugs a bit but....I did my due dilligence. Hate to pass up a deal like that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    ....I actually have been letting him sit on it for about 2 weeks since I looked at it. Texted him today to see if he still had it. He said yes....and that he would take $500 for it.

Apr 2007
    Rockhopper is a no-brainer choice. Get it.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Reppohkcocr for sure
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Members who have read this thread: 0