This bike is great!- Mtbr.com
    WWYD?

This bike is great!

Hey all, I've been riding this closeout KHS softail frame for a couple weeks now as a '69er SS and It rides fast and points and goes through twisty singletrack better than a 29er IMHO. The handling is unreal, leaning into corners is really responsive. I don't know about riding custom bikes but I lucked out here with a great fit. The whole bike cost about $500. Used the stock rigid 26er fork. Just adding a 29er wheel was the easiest mod I've ever done to a bike. Maybe it can give you some ideas to your old 26 SSs.

The 20mm of travel in back makes for a smooth ride and helps with the traction. The whole idea of front suspension to me is for trails with lots of drops and steps. But with 90% of my riding smoother trails, this is all I need.

The headtube angle is 68 degrees and there is a huge difference when going blasting downhill versus uphill when the wheel will flop around on uphills if you don't pay attention.

The smaller rear wheel definitely tracks better on switchbacks I keep thinking its spinning faster than the front and it helps shoot you around.

My regular SS is a Monocog and the difference is noticeable; the 29er floats better over stuff and the 69er handles tight track better. I love having to make these choices!

Check it out:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Any sense of "front wheel flop" with it?

mtbr member
    Nice work. I rode a Surly 1x1 as a 69er for while and I really liked the way the bike handled when leaning into turns. Didn't have as slack an angle as your rig but still noticed some flopping at lower speeds and climbing. Once it was moving it felt great.

WWYD?
    Yeah, the front wheel will flop when climbing the steeps. Its not too bad since I'm standing up when I'm climbing. The only part where it will "catch" me is when climbing up a steep switchback; while swinging wide at the apex and turning in the wheel it can lift up easy. It can work to my advantage going over a root or rock when climbing, but if you aren't paying attention, like being anerobic, I end up unclipping. ;^(

I'm wondering if swapping out the 80mm stem to a 100 will help the handling?

I don't have any issues riding the flats or rolling stuff other than the bike seems to roll a lot faster than a 29er entering a turn and exiting.

I'm still loving the bike, you can find a drawback in any design but this one works for the trails in the Bay Area.

Trip the Bike Fantastic
    That bike looks great! Can't wait to have it meet the new caSStellano conversion.

mtbr member
    I bought one too and I freaking LOVE IT! Now I gotta look into doing the 69er thing.

WWYD?
    Quote Originally Posted by rolondo
    I bought one too and I freaking LOVE IT! Now I gotta look into doing the 69er thing.

mmm...red...mmm

hubs look like hopes?

Nice build, I'm looking into a derailleur hanger chaintug to make it a 1X8 option too!

WWYD?
    Another question; did you take apart the rear shock and rebuild before riding? Mine started squeaking after one ride and from seeing other posts here and on the web I greased the hell out of it and added some dimes in the piston chamber between the elastomer and shell for a little more preload. Used three dimes for my 220#. I've got a 30% sag with about 20mm total travel.

And don't use tri-flow or oil, for an after mud ride maintenance, it made the shock squeak. Had to rebuild again.

mtbr member

All you'll need is a new wheel!

Easy Peasy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This idea is intriguing...Is this possible with just about any 26" bike? Anybody know about a SISS/SASS. I have a SASS with a SISS fork.

WWYD?
    Quote Originally Posted by GP-TJ
    This idea is intriguing...Is this possible with just about any 26" bike? Anybody know about a SISS/SASS. I have a SASS with a SISS fork.
    I used the KHS 26" fork, easily fit the 29er wheel. I think the fork is suspension corrected. Its a simple enough mod that if you don't like it you can change it back in minutes. I've been making little adjustments during my rides. I like the lower pressure in the front tire, with about 26 psi. The back has a little over 30 psi in it, thinking of bringing that down to see if I can get any more traction with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't have any 29 wheels but some friends do. I will have to check this out. Maybe I can borrow a 29" wheel to test it. I did ride a 29" bike last week and it was pretty nice. It was also a custom frame so that probably made a difference too.

Thanks for the info.
    GP

(slight return)
    Nice one Johnnyb, but I thought that when you cut your self your blood ran redline. . Funny, I just saw this thread, but was up at that same spot taking pix of my newly pimped up monocog today.

-slide

WWYD?
    Quote Originally Posted by slide mon
    ...I thought that when you cut your self your blood ran redline.
    Chris,

Good one, bu-dum-bum! The budget just lets me frames and swap around parts these days. Tim turned his Fango into an SS. Sounds like we ought to go out and suffer as a group one of these days. If you got regular spds, take it for a spin. I swear you can feel the wheels turning at different speeds!

So, where's the pix of the p-mc?

jb

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I took the front wheel from my Redline D440 and put it on the front of my 26" Rocky Mtn. SS. Clearance was OK with the Salsa Cromoto fork, but it felt really weird....like the front end was too high. Because I've got caliper brakes, couldn't ride it like that, so I'm still wondering. Anyone know where to get the widget that you bolt onto your fork to raise your brakes up the correct amount? This would be a very low cost conversion, if I could make it work....

WWYD?
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggity
    I took the front wheel from my Redline D440 and put it on the front of my 26" Rocky Mtn. SS. Clearance was OK with the Salsa Cromoto fork, but it felt really weird....like the front end was too high. Because I've got caliper brakes, couldn't ride it like that, so I'm still wondering. Anyone know where to get the widget that you bolt onto your fork to raise your brakes up the correct amount? This would be a very low cost conversion, if I could make it work....
    You have a long stem? I'm running an 80mm with a 6 degree rise. I have a bit of offset with the fork, I'm not sure how to measure it and it helps with smoothing out the movement. The tire clearance with an Exiwolf is an inch.

The front end feels lighter, I can definitely lift the front end easier going downhill than a 26er bike. I think the headtube angle is like 68-69 degrees. I have the XL frame, the length of the headtube is longer than my redline 29ers. And the headtube is pretty stiff, I haven't had any issues steering other than I've started rolling faster through corners and had to countersteer more often.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yah, my stem's 100mm. Maybe I'll try a 90mm or so, and/or go with a bar with less rise.
    Those widgets I refer to are by Mavic...caliper brake adjusters? I gotta find these so I can try this out...

Members who have read this thread: 0