Bike Cleaning- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bike Cleaning

Low Rep Count

Bike Cleaning

Ok, so I have been getting out on the bike lately and the trails look frozen in some places but then turn into moosh in others. The bottom line is that the bike is fairly caked with mud. Since the temperatures have been in the freezing ranges at night I pretty much can't use my hose on the house. Basically, I am more concerned about pipes freezing and busting. Two days ago, I ended up using a bucket full of water and hitting it with a brush. It took me at least 20 minutes out there trying to get all the mud off the bike and then I finally dumped water on it to rinse it off. I then got out the towels and began drying it all off and relubing the chain...only to go out the very next day and get the bike all mudded up.

Just curious what you guys that are out riding in the crappy weather are doing to try to keep your bike clean. Hell, I ended up lining the back end of my car with a plastic tarp (don't have a bike rack) to keep the inside of my car clean since I drove to a different trail area yesterday. Basically, this is sucking right now. But I have been riding so that is a plus.

Expert Crasher
    Try using some cooking spray on the frame, just avoid the brakes/brake track/rotors. I've done this once, it helped clean up a bit.

On the other hand, mud won't hurt it too much as long as you keep the chain clean and are diligent maintaining any of the bearings that are not sealed (headset/hubs depending on your components).

I have a large painters brush, it's pretty handy at knocking off large chunks of dried on mud.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Same as for 4x4s... Wash off the mud before it dries. Otherwise it's a *****.

Personally I hate riding in mud. But I am lazy and usually only wash my entire bike once or twice a year.

30-ton War Machine
    Part and parcel here in the PNW. When we built our house I had a hot-water hose bib installed. That and living about 10 minutes from the trailhead helps in keeping the mud "wet". Armor-all, wd40 or Pam cooking spray all helps in keeping the mud moving.

Out spokin'
    I'm with edgerat. If the mud is frozen on, chip it off. If it's not frozen, hose it off. Lube the chain and go again. Replace parts as needed. Welcome to the Northwet.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Pam is a good trick to help with clean-up after a day of muddy trails. You may want to go with the sprayer to clean it just try to stay away from bearing races. Using a scrub brush to remove mud is like wet sanding your bike with 100 grit paper! Bad idea. Happy Trails

BTW, Pam is not my wife's name.
    Ride, Race or just polish it.... Do it till you smile!

CB2
    Jam Econo
    In the Winter, I let it melt and dry in my basement, and brush off the big stuff. If I'm feeling frisky I'll break out the store brand furniture polish and shine it it up real good...real good.
    I will wipe down the drivetrain, dry and lube it immediately when I get home (if needed).

Kneel Before Your Master
    Sometimes I think cleaning them too much is worse than just leaving it. All the water can't be good for it, but its so hard to leave my bike sitting there all dirty.

Low Rep Count
    Well, I let it dry. The frame now has some added support at all the joints. The ground was pretty much frozen today so the tires are clean now anyway. It is supposed to snow over night so depending on how things look in the morning, I will either ride and then clean it when done or I will spend some time cleaning it in the garage tomorrow.

Much better traction out there today though and no new mud collected!

Low Rep Count
    Looks like the storm stayed east of us and we only ended up with light flurries that did not stick! So, I will be out on the bike again tomorrow!!! Pretty excited. Basically, I will have gotten out on the bike for 4 out of 5 days.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I hear where you're coming come. I do the whole bucket thing too, it does kinda suck.

A friend of mine uses a large garden sprayer (I think 2 gallons, but you can get 3 gallon ones). He has even brought it with him to the ride and sprays off the mud before loading his bike.

It's not a full cleaning, just gets the bulk of the mud off before it dries on. I think I might get one.

But when I do a full cleaning, I do wax the bike, which I think helps to keep mud and dirt from sticking in the first place.

Members who have read this thread: 0