biggest difference between singlespeed and bmx bikes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

biggest difference between singlespeed and bmx bikes?

Is there any kind of trail a mt bike can go that a BMX can't? Just curious...

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    Quote Originally Posted by fit24hrs
    Hmm... let's see... BMX vs. SS MTB:
    - BMXs have sh!t brakes
    - most BMXs have max. 20" wheels, but some have 24" wheels (that's a grey area to define between rigid 24" SS MTB and 24" BMX)
    - most of us SS MTB have 26" wheels some have '29"ers', now compare a 20" wheel and a 26" (or '29"er') taking on a rock garden, guess who comes out first

To answer your question, any and I mean any trail a BMX can tackle, a SS MTB can take on easily. Unless the SS MTB is a kerb crawler, off-road is it's game.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    They're all bicycles

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonowee
    Hmm... let's see... BMX vs. SS MTB:
    - BMXs have sh!t brakes
    - most BMXs have max. 20" wheels, but some have 24" wheels (that's a grey area to define between rigid 24" SS MTB and 24" BMX)
    - most of us SS MTB have 26" wheels some have '29"ers', now compare a 20" wheel and a 26" (or '29"er') taking on a rock garden, guess who comes out first

To answer your question, any and I mean any trail a BMX can tackle, a SS MTB can take on easily. Unless the SS MTB is a kerb crawler, off-road is it's game.
    How about the gear ratio difference? Don't BMX bikes use a taller gear than SS? That could make climbing difficult.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    How about the gear ratio difference? Don't BMX bikes use a taller gear than SS? That could make climbing difficult.
    Yup.

The "fit" of the bikes are very different, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks for the replies. Gearing ratio can be easily changed and it's aguable that smaller wheels make better climbers. Some BMX parts are REALLY nice and can cost just as much as a tricked out SS. I do notice that upper end BMX's are about the same price as midranged SS's, however. Anyone own both?

drm
    old enough to know better
    Jul 2004

yup

I own a Ventana El Toro and and S-Works Hemi. Take my son to the local bmx track everyday before kindergarten and then hit the trails while he is in school. He rides a Hemi Mini. I'm going to have a 24" singlespeed built for him the second he is big enough. Hopefully he will want to race bmx next year, but if not he is building skills to ride the trails with dad.

hot like a box of fire
    Thanks for the replies. Gearing ratio can be easily changed and it's aguable that smaller wheels make better climbers. Some BMX parts are REALLY nice and can cost just as much as a tricked out SS. I do notice that upper end BMX's are about the same price as midranged SS's, however. Anyone own both?
    I plan on picking up a 24" cruiser when I come across a deal. It's really sort of silly though to compare two types of bicyles simply because they both have one-speed drivetrains. Almost anything is "arguable" but that really doesn't mean it's correct, let alone practical. Riding a BMX offroad in the same fashion as one would typically ride a SS mtb would be hellish over any considerable distance. Of course attempting to ride a typical mtb on BMX trails (i.e. dirt jumps) will also be a highly educational and likely painful experience. The disciplines are vastly different and BMX bikes are highly specialized, to lean towards one is to make concessions in respect to the other.

Can riding BMX make you a better SSer? and vice versa? absolutely.

BMX parts can be quite nice if you can deal with the weight. I run 3-piece bmx cranks with a chainwheel on my SS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i may be wrong since i am not a BMXer... but my understanding is that BMX geometry is slated towards being very quick handling for the track, jumps etc. in the long run, it could be very twitchy on a XC type trail of many miles. in any case, i definitely dig some of the 26" BMX Cruisers and would think they would be cool urban assault rides...

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004
    I used to ride my robinson 24" cruiser on some of the colorado front range trails. holy sheet was that hard. not just the workout, but the pounding too. BMX bike rigid with a capital R - I - G - I - Dee! BMX bikes really aren't the worlds greatest for climbing or for that matter downhilling. Doable? 100%. Worthy everyday trail bikes? Prolly not.

I dig BMX bikes and I used to use mine as a trail bike, but sometimes I am sofa king we todd did.
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

cause it's fun
    Jan 2004

Similar but Different

A BMX bike should have a sloping top tube for optimal standover, where a MTB SS will be taller to allow for sitting and peddaling. Sitting and peddaling on a BMX bike is not comfortable, and shouldn't be. However standing, sprinting, bunny hopping and jumping is. I can do these things much better on my BMXer.

I do prefer a sharp head tube angle on my SS. I appreaciate a quicker turning, and a more responsive feel on the SS. It fits my riding style.

Typically a BMX bike is going to run loooong cranks. 185 and 190's are common amoung the bigger/older riders. For example I have a 32" inseam and run 185's on my BMXer. In comparison I run 180's on my MTB for better ground clearence. I also run a 46/16 on the BMX bike, compared to a 34/16 on the SS. I know you have to factor in the larger wheels, so I'm not sure how that measures out.

I've ridden my SS on a BMX track, and it felt verry sluggish. I also would never take my BMX bike on a 20 mile ride through some of my favorite local trail. Different bikes for a diferent purpose.
    bus driver wanna be

Derailleurs owned: 0
    44:16 on a BMX is about the same as 32:16 on 26" SS.

both roughly 52 gear-inches

Quote Originally Posted by Nat

highly visible
    I'd rather take a Schwinn cruiser (also a singlespeed!) than a BMX bike on my local trails.

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    I'd rather take a Schwinn cruiser (also a singlespeed!) than a BMX bike on my local trails.
    haa ha... good one, I've heard that cruisers are surprisingly trailworthy.

I went to my local bmx track, didn't work, especially bringing a XC bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0