Big Momma's got a jacked up chain tensioner- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Big Momma's got a jacked up chain tensioner

Hey all, newbie here. Not just a newbie to the forum, but a newbie to mountain biking as well. (Please cut this noob some slack if he posted this in the wrong section) So here is my story: I just bought a used SE BM Flyer with a bent chain tensioner. Are these chain tensioner thingies easy to replace? It really doesn't appear too hard by the looks of it, but i just wanted to check and get a pro's opinion. Also, are chain tensioner's for single-speeds universal? In other words, how do i find the right one to fit my bike?

Many thanks,
    -the new guy

I'm just messing with you
    if you can't look at the chain tensioner thingies (aka chain tug) and figure out how they work, then yeah maybe you do need a pro to help

otherwise ... yeah they're easy to replace and yeah they're pretty much universal.

and - welcome
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

banned
    Sep 2007
    It also could be something as simple as a bent hanger, which is what you derailleur is bolted to. Sometimes, they can be straightened out and work fine.

Out spokin'
    Suggest you post a photo. There's more than one kind of tensioner.

Also more than one kind of Big Mama.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

meh... whatever
    welcome to the forum!

generally the der hanger will bend before the "thingy" will, so without a pic my guess is the hanger needs to be straightened/replaced. post a pic and we can all stop guessing and give you a more "pro" answer!
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

I'm just messing with you
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Suggest you post a photo. There's more than one kind of tensioner.

Also more than one kind of Big Mama.

--Sparty
    In the initial post, he said it's an SE BM flyer, The BM stands for "Big Momma". I figured it's just got a generic BMX-style chain tug, probably made by the same hands that make them for Redline, etc.

But yeah, pictures are always good

Found this photo via dirt rag - looks like this one's about to loose its rear wheel. But, it shows that I'm wrong about the tensioner, if that's the setup the OP has.

Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Members who have read this thread: 0