A BIG dilemna....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

A BIG dilemna....

Well, my wife and I are planning a big trip to New-Mexico, Colorado, Utah... for 3 weeks, driving from Canada. I've been riding exclusively SS for the last year. Been mtb'ing since '93. We ride trails, I really enjoy climbing. But, I've never been to those places, although I have spent a week at Sedona a few years back, riding my Giant Trance.

Not knowing what the trails/riding are like in Santa Fe, Crested Butte, Moab and all those great places we always hear about, am I better off hopping back on my Trance or staying with my SS??? I don't know if I'll be able to repeat a trip like that in the future so I want to enjoy as much as possible.

If I find a way to bring both my bikes, when will I know which one to take???

Please provide your input and suggestions, I'm having a hard time deciding...

Thanks in advance,

Johnnydrz

thread killer
    bring your geared bike, just don't ever shift.
    next time

[QUOTE=spazzy] Might as well sell your bikes, E-riding is much more productive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Colorado

Totally up to your personal preference and fit level, but...

I live in CO, ride SS 90% of the time and still have the same dilemma every summer to deep in woods! I took my Slayer to CB last year - after all, I didn't think I could've "enjoyed" the whole experience with my ss, although I probably I could have suffered through it. Plrenty of people do, apparently. Don't be fooled by those old logging or mining "roads" that turned into trails - you'll realize miners and mules a century ago were really tough bunch. Klunkers footage show dudes pushing and puking on CB trail - yeah that's the feeling (sure they were drunk but hey). But if your wife is not as strong as you are, then you should take SS just to make it up with a handicap - she may ride ahead of you, and that's important for a trip like that.

SS is my choice in Fruita (almost next to Moab) as it is more of fantastic roller coaster trail with some steeps here and there that you can push yourself if you are determined.

Durango is probably like CB where extended climb will put the suffer-o-meter higher past fun level. Continental divide area - I'd inclined to take geared bikes from the same reason. Denver surrounding area - full suspension and gears are totally overrated if you are used to SS.

My 2 cents. Either way, have fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Stick with your single speed!
    What's your gearing?
    If you are worried about being able to ride you ss pick up a 21 tooth cog and maybe push a 32 x 21 while in cb.
    You will be fine riding a ss in moab and cb

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnydrz
    Well, my wife and I are planning a big trip to New-Mexico, Colorado, Utah... for 3 weeks, driving from Canada. I've been riding exclusively SS for the last year. Been mtb'ing since '93. We ride trails, I really enjoy climbing. But, I've never been to those places, although I have spent a week at Sedona a few years back, riding my Giant Trance.

Not knowing what the trails/riding are like in Santa Fe, Crested Butte, Moab and all those great places we always hear about, am I better off hopping back on my Trance or staying with my SS??? I don't know if I'll be able to repeat a trip like that in the future so I want to enjoy as much as possible.

If I find a way to bring both my bikes, when will I know which one to take???

Please provide your input and suggestions, I'm having a hard time deciding...

Thanks in advance,

Johnnydrz

mtbr member
    My actual gearing is 32X19, on a 26" bike. I'm always ahead of my wife while on my SS... pisses her off sometimes ;-) I've gone up Pittsfield in VT (57 switchbacks all the way up the mountain) also Waterbury VT. But every place is different. Also, my shape is getting better with every ride.

I think that the other question that is building up in my head is: hardtail or full suspension? I'm in a semi-process of SS'ing my Trance.... would be about 6 pounds more but...

Johnnydrz

Apr 2007
    32x19 on a 26"?? Yeah, you'll be fine.

Also, people ride all those trails on a rigid bike, so you can definitely do it on your hardtail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Ha, sounds like you'll be on SS. Report back how it went, would you?

mtbr member
    I will report back for sure! I'm still in the planning phase right now though... 3 days to get there, stopping at Walmarts overnight to sleep...making sure my bikes don't get stolen...

Trying to make sure this will be THE trip !!!!

Johnnydrz

Members who have read this thread: 0