Bicycling (mag) SS convert article...- Mtbr.com
    Bikes not Bombs.....

80 percent of the time....

I am standing still.... Guess I will just take the cog off and put it in my pocket.....for the 20 percent when I am actually moving....

JS
    Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... -

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Bicycling (mag) SS convert article...

I didn't see any post on this so I thought I'd throw it up here. Anyone else catch the one pager in Bicycling (I know, pretty weak) Magazine on converting your hardtail to an SS. Interesting and good to see some SS coverage in such a mainstream mag. But the BEST is their advice on gearing - "Experiment with different gear ratios until you find the cog that lets you pedal at your favorite cadence 80% of the time." Um, have any of you found that gearing yet?! Yeah, I like to spin at about a 70 rpms which I can do 80% of the time with a 17T... as long as I stick to mall parking lots in central Nebraska. Anyway, good to see some coverage. Less than perfect advice though. S

paintbucket

I hear they're great

for looking cool on the way to the coffee shop.

My favorite line is "Pedal until the chain is around the chainring". I've read those few paragraphs several times and I'm still not sure what they're talking about. I think its the moving the rear wheel forward part (this with a tensioner) that's throwing me off.....
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    Sissy. Your problem is your favorite cadence. What you need is a bit of readjustment. Make your favorite cadence out to be about twelve and - presto! - everybody wins, and the magazine is right, which is what counts.

What became of the lifted bike? Have you put an order in for a new one, or relegated yourself to proper MTBing all the time? I think we're going to epic-ize the weekend, interested? I'll make sure it's SS friendly, as I don't really have a choice. Should be shuttled for about six hours, but I need to work out the details with my mapman, LeeMan Duncan. (Who got a sick new full-sproingy Ellsworth.) OK, ramble over. Adieu - S
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Yo, Sdizzle. No can do on the weekend. I've got a buddy in and we're headed west - GJ/Fruita. Mostly camping and backpacking, but I'm gonna squeeze a ride in too.

Yeah, I've been cranking on the SS recently and will be continuing to do so for another month probably. Insurance was cool though and Larry M is hooking me up with a fully decked out Ventana X5. Not bad. Just gotta wait for their next production run to be finished. In the meantime, enjoying the heck out of the ENO SS.

We'll hook up and ride together one of these years... S

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    Quote Originally Posted by DSR
    We'll hook up and ride together one of these years... S
    Going to Oz on May 16th, for pretty much the whole summer, so we should get together before that. You still entertaining the Bike Patrol thing?
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

34N 118W

Good job! not bad...

some cool things about this article/issue:

*the SS article was written by a chick. You go girl. (how 2002 is that phrase?) Not a bad start for a mainstream mag tho. Better than panning it ala MBA.

*a piece on the wood fenders from River City Bicycles. Dang, them nice.

*a plug for One On One bike studio in Mpls, MN where "we live and die by the singlespeed".

good stuff I say! Aye!
    HW
    Last edited by Hollywood; 05-04-2004 at 09:34 AM.

blame me for missed rides
    um, am i the only one seeing SS Jerry's reply to another thread (re: stand up pedalin) appearing on top of this thread (re: bicycling article)?

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by weather
    um, am i the only one seeing SS Jerry's reply to another thread (re: stand up pedalin) appearing on top of this thread (re: bicycling article)?
    I'm seeing it too.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    what day you thinking? im free all sat to ride, and earlier sunday. jenny has a race up in ft col i'm going up for. maybe something horsetoothy sunday? or what else is up that way?
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    For what it's worth, Mike Cushionbury, Rodale employee and test editor of Bicycling / Mountain Bike raced the expert SS race at Sea Otter. Cush was 10th with a time of 3:06.

34N 118W

nope, Jerry's ok

Quote Originally Posted by weather
    the article mentions finding the ratio that lets you "pedal at your fave cadence 80% of the time..."

blame me for missed rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    the article mentions finding the ratio that lets you "pedal at your fave cadence 80% of the time..."
    problem is the reply is placed above the thread starter.

btw, what happened to your pink avatar, yo?

mtbr member

I totally missed that article

Whenever I buy a mag or get one in the mail, I first quickly flip through it and then when I have more time (like when I'm at work) I'll read the articles. Somehow I missed that one...weird. I guess I subconsciously thought there would be nothing written about SS as usual.

Wooglin...I think what she means when she says "Pedal until the chain is around the chainring" is that to get the chain on the ring and cogs once you have the proper chain length and tension is you put the chain around the cog and then rest the chain on the top of the chainring and pedal to allow the chain to fully wrap around the ring. I think.

The end of the article is what kills it though..well, except for the part about christening your new SS with a beer. She says you will "be the envy of all as you cruise about town..." From this I take it this article was to convert your old HT into a cruiser/latte getter rather than a full on singletrack machine...that's why we apparently have a full suspension in the garage.
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail.
    But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying
    "Damn... we fcuked up!"

34N 118W

time to ride

James -

did you read the article on making time to ride? Thought about you and your situation after I read that.

mtbr member

Yup, that was the reason I bought the mag

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    James -

did you read the article on making time to ride? Thought about you and your situation after I read that.
    Wow! Someone other than my wife had thoughts about me. That's a good thing right? hehehe!

That was the first article I read. For the last couple of weeks I've had my SS road bike in the rear seat with a bag of riding clothes and whenever I get the chance, I go for a lunch hour ride. Basically riding out for half an hour and then back for the last half hour. Now I'm itching to go fixed or flip/flop anyways. Did I tell you (and anyone else reading) I found a mid 80s Bianchi road bike in all it's Celeste glory at my local Sally Ann? I was gonna convert it to fixed but it's too big for me so I'm thinking of selling the frame and fork and various parts along with it. Funny thing is the bike was missing the handlebars but it did include a pair of road shoes attached to a set of Look pedals. Weird eh?

Thanks for thinking of me. I thought of all you left coasters as I watched the silly movie they called "10.5" the other night.
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail.
    But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying
    "Damn... we fcuked up!"