Rocket Boy

Bianchi SASS chainstay problems?

Hi,

Got a question for you SS riders. I am about to buy a 2004 Bianchi SASS. I'm getting it for cost. I have recently heard rumors about the chains/seat stay junction being weak and/or cracking. Can anyone give me any information about this? Anybody know anything good or bad about this bike? I'll be putting a Marzocchi DJ III on it and using it for XC SS racing.

Thanks in advance,
    Arby

Steel and teeth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arby
    Hi,

Got a question for you SS riders. I am about to buy a 2004 Bianchi SASS. I'm getting it for cost. I have recently heard rumors about the chains/seat stay junction being weak and/or cracking. Can anyone give me any information about this? Anybody know anything good or bad about this bike? I'll be putting a Marzocchi DJ III on it and using it for XC SS racing.

Thanks in advance,
    Arby
    I think it was the SISS and I heard they had fixed the problem that led to the repeated failure. All in all, I heard Bianchi has been pleasant to deal with in terms of the warranty.

These threads should offer more information:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...=bianchi+crack
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...broken+bianchi

b1umb0y

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by b1umb0y
    I think it was the SISS and I heard they had fixed the problem that led to the repeated failure.

b1umb0y
    I have never seen a post of a broken chainstay on a SASS. (Obviously some of the SISS frames had problems.)

Has anyone actually had their SASS chainstay break?
    (No guessing or speculation please in order to clarify the point. You know what I mean...I heard from a friend of a friend of a friend's brother that somebody somewhere had a problem maybe.)

The man who fell to earth
    I have the alum '02 DISS, which has been terrific; a light, strong frame which has held up great. In '03 they switched to the steel SISS and for some reason they had a bad chainstay design and/or a bad batch of frames with poor welding in that area. This resulted in many SISS frames cracking there. Then in '04 (and continuing this year) they came out with the chrome SASS, also steel. As far as I know they redesigned the chainstay area on the SASS and/or improved the welds, which from every account I've seen so far (and I've seen a few at this point) have not broken. Plus I ride with a clyde who's been hammering down hills on his SASS for about a year now, and he has experienced no problems.

That's not to say it's not possible to break a SASS, it's possible to break any frame if you beat it hard enough. But I'm pretty sure the SISS chainstay problems ended with the SASS. If you like the bike, I'd go for it in a heartbeat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    BTW, for purposes of full disclosure , I have had a SASS without problems for a year and am a Clyde myself. I really enjoy this bike.

Steel frame, big 2.4" tires, mechanical disc brakes, and a finish that easily wipes clean (chrome). What's not to like?

Rocket Boy

I got it! Photos for Show n' Tell:

Hey guys,

I picked it up after work today, heaved it on my shoulder and pedaled it home on the fixed through 5 o'clock rush hour traffic here in downtown Baltimore. Made it home safe n' sound, swapped out the fork, seat and pedals then took it for the closest dirt I could find. I'm loving this bike! I can't wait to race xc in the ss category!

Steel and teeth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arby
    Hey guys,

I picked it up after work today, heaved it on my shoulder and pedaled it home on the fixed through 5 o'clock rush hour traffic here in downtown Baltimore. Made it home safe n' sound, swapped out the fork, seat and pedals then took it for the closest dirt I could find. I'm loving this bike! I can't wait to race xc in the ss category!
    So... you had a chrome SS on your shoulder while riding a fixed chrome pista in Baltimore traffic... That is cool.

Great pics!

b1umb0y

Fixed and single.
    there is one thing you may want to keep an eye out on is the headtube/downtube junction for fatigue. Granted the frame is steel, with a rake like that due to such a burly fork, hopefully your intentions are pure in terms of XC racing.

Steel and teeth.
    Quote Originally Posted by mordecai
    there is one thing you may want to keep an eye out on is the headtube/downtube junction for fatigue. Granted the frame is steel, with a rake like that due to such a burly fork, hopefully your intentions are pure in terms of XC racing.
    Damn... I guess I better turn my 1x1 back down to 85mm.

b1umb0y

Fixed and single.
    You know what I mean blum!

Steel and teeth.
    Quote Originally Posted by mordecai
    You know what I mean blum!
    I guess you're right... it is a Bianchi.

b1umb0y

Fixed and single.
    I didn't want to say it out loud.

Fixed and single.
    By the way Arby, sweet video on your site! My girlfriend lives in Mt. Vernon.

try driving your car less
    That looks so nice! Cool to have matching SS rides for street and dirt.

A few things about that ride the way it comes specced:
    The headset is cheap, and might not make it through the season. I replaced mine immediately, taking a nearly new cane creek from another bike. They say the same about the BB, but the BB on my bianchi CUSS is still living. and they say that the chain is junk and you might as well replace it right away. I didnt do that, but did replace it after a season. It was noticeably heavier than a regular 8 speed sram chain. I didnt realize that there could be such a difference.

Finally, my buddy had those cranks and found he could flex them to contact the frame (different frame). swapped them out and the problem went away. many people complain that those cranks are super flexy. my bianchi came with raceface cranks and they have been fine.
    Only boring people get bored.

The man who fell to earth
    Congrats on your shiney new SASS arby. There are a few things you might want to keep an eye on based on my various DISS/SASS experiences. The list below is what I've seen on my DISS and a friends SASS and from what I've heard from many other Bianchi xxSS owners. Some of the issues may have been resolved by Bianchi/Spot/LBS by now (I'd certainly hope so anyway), but if not:

1. The rear spot hub can bind up. Keep checking the rear wheel for ease of rotation. If it starts binding fix it right away or you might smoke your bearings (plus you'll have trouble climbing hills too). Check the hub reviews for the lowdown (or search here).

2. The headset is cheap and you should replace it eventually, but it should last a while if you keep it clean and greased (mine lasted over a year in terrible conditions).

3. I went through the stock Avid pads riding in mud and muck literally in a matter of hours. They suck from my experience, EBC golds have held up better plus they're cheaper. (although the EBC's have a special problem all their own)

4. The chainline was off - I had to move the chainring to the outside to correct. Also, the master link retaining spring clip was on the bashguard side causing a click everytime the it passed by the bashguard - switch it to the other side to eliminate.

5. The KMC chain is garbage, replace it with a better one.

6. The Truvative ISIS BB won't last long. Mine lasted about a month, I've seen several other people who have gone through them like prune juice and salsa through a goose. I switched back to XT square taper and Race Face turbine cranks and haven't looked back.

I think that's it, otherwise the bike rocks. Enjoy it man!