Bianchi S.I.S.S- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bianchi S.I.S.S

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Bianchi S.I.S.S

I've read a few post in the past regarding people who are breaking their S.I.S.S. More then I would normally read! Mostly I read: It just broke, or it cracked at the chain stay, it sucks but I'm curious WHY it really broke? I guess I'm looking for more details then it just broke.

Is there a happy group of SS that LIKE/LOVE their S.I.S.S like I do??? My S.I.S.S is my MAIN ride for close to a year now & I like it a lot, NO problems at all, NO creaks, NO breaks @ the chain stay etc.

Arrrr.

Ok so far

I got my SISS last June and have not had any problems with it yet. I weigh about 155-160 and ride the trails around northern VA. Maybe I am easier on my bikes than others or just lucky, but all of my bikes seem to hold up well. It could just be a factor of Bianchi making a great bike at a good price point that got a lot of bikes out on the trails and the law of averages sees more failures. Anyways, I never heard of Bianchi addressing the problem.
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Rode mine for over a year....

Quote Originally Posted by zaskar
    Is there a happy group of SS that LIKE/LOVE their S.I.S.S like I do??? My S.I.S.S is my MAIN ride for close to a year now & I like it a lot, NO problems at all, NO creaks, NO breaks @ the chain stay etc.
    I rode the heck out of my SISS for over a year. I just replaced it with a 1x1 but only because the 19.5" SISS was a little too small for me and the 20" 1x1 fits like a dream. I never had any problems with any component of my SISS - not the rear hub, not the frame -nothing. I give it 5 flaming turds!!! (That said, anyone want to buy my SISS frame? )

mAsTeR SaYS FAsTeR
    Apr 2004
    I am a happy SISS rider. The only problem I have had has been with rear chainstay tire rub, solved with switching to a narrower rear tire. 15.5" frame, rigid fork, 125 lbs.
    I would be very sad if it broke.

www.justthebonnet.com
    I've been beating the crap out of mine for since january, agrressive xc, plus I ride it to the trailhead so it gets it share of curb jumps and stairs. No problems at all. The 2.4 tires do rub a little on the chainstays and there is a little flex when you crank on the peddles causing the tires to rub the chainstay, but no problems at all.
    If I get two years out of a frame (the way I ride it) I'm personnally happy.
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

The man who fell to earth

My DISS has been great...

I have the '02 DISS (the aluminum version of the SISS), and no problems at all with the frame, it feels very solid. I ride with another guy who has a BUSS or CUSS (can't remember which one) and his frame's doing great too (his is about 4 years old). Another guy has the newer SASS (steel), and although he hasn't had it very long, no problems.

I don't know why some of the SISS's have been cracking, but from what I heard these frames are mass produced in Taiwan. The welders there are actually very good (some of the best in the world in fact) because they are so experienced. But perhaps when the production of DISS frames ended (which were aluminum) and they transitioned into steel, they didn't quite have their design and/or welding/fabricating techniques fully debugged. Several (if not all) of the previous Bianchi **SS generations were manufactured from aluminum, so they may not have properly and fully worked out their steel frame's design and/or production techniques before launching the release of the SISS. In other words, they probably produced and sold hundreds and hundreds of steel frames before they started getting their first returns...which was the first feedback that something was wrong with their production protocol.

Has anyone had a problem with the newer SASS frame? Hopefully by now they've got the steel schtick down.

I've read a few post in the past regarding people who are breaking their S.I.S.S. More then I would normally read! Mostly I read: It just broke, or it cracked at the chain stay, it sucks but I'm curious WHY it really broke? I guess I'm looking for more details then it just broke.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

SISS joy

These photos were taken when I weighed close to 200 lbs. I rode my SISS like this a lot and never had one problem with it. I've inspected the frame and it looks as solid as it did on day 1.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Sass

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy-Stardust
    Has anyone had a problem with the newer SASS frame? Hopefully by now they've got the steel schtick down.
    I have had the SASS for about 2 weeks. No problems yet but I certainly have not put it through its paces as I am a new mountain bike rider. I'll post if there is a problem.

BTW My logo is SOLO_ONE when I ordered a 2004 KHS Solo One in March, but they came back and told me it might possibly be available in July...but they weren't sure.

All's well that ends well though. The SASS is great so far. Though I haven't heard anybody mention it before, the chrome frame is extremely easy to clean up after a ride and is also quite durable. Not to mention the Avid Mech Disc brakes are a real blast!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

No problems here either...

and it's my primary beater bike. I guess you can say the SISS is a great value.