Bianchi DISS Questions.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Bianchi DISS Questions.

I have an 02" DISS that I used for single track cross country, until recently I have converted it into my all around city bike for comuting and playing around in town. I chopped the riser bars down so I can fit inbetween cars, and upgraded to RaceFace cranks and bottom bracket with a 36t front ring (I was spinning out w/ 32, but I live in SF and need 36t for the hills). I also run Specialized Armadillos and haven't had a flat in a year.
    I would like to upgrade to a new wheelset in the near future w/ new hubs etc. But would it be possible to run a 700c wheel, or better yet a 29er wheel for more abuse? I still ride the trails in Golden Gate park, and the Presido on weekends and road bike wheels would be pretty skinny for the sand (the Armadillos are still wide for a MTB slick). The bike is size 21.5" so it has a horizontal top tube, and almost looks like a road bike with slicks. Does this make sense? Their seems to be alot of clearance at the fork and rear triangle?
    Thanks all

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I too have a DISS, mine is a large. I really love this bike, the geometry is spot on. I have totally upgraded the bike, the only thing that is original is the frame.

You can use a 700c or 29" wheels, they're the same size, the only difference is the 700c uses a 130mm hub/ width, where the 29 uses a 135mm hub/axle width. The 29" would probably be a little burlier also. If you go this path, you'll have to use a smaller tire, something like a 30c would probably cut it pretty close. Forget it if you want to run a 29" 2.1 mountain bike tire. A good way to see what will fit is to remove your front wheel and compare the diameter to a 700/29" wheel and see if the diameters are similar with a tire that tou would like to use.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for the info. You are right I love this bike. Every time I want to get something new I just change the diss. I was even going to make it a fixed at one point. I do still take it on trails, but mostly mashing on city streets, so if I do 29 it will be with some type of slick, or road suited tire.

Members who have read this thread: 0