Best XTR Spline type ring?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best XTR Spline type ring?

Believe it or not I have lucked into a set of M950 XTR arms that the previous owner didn't want due to the 180mm length. I know of both the Spot and Jericho ring, are there any others I should look at? Or is there a distinct advantage to either one of these over the other? (aside from availablity which might make the decision for me) Also if there is a recent thread that has beat this topic to death I apologise-

My current set up is XT cranks with a 4 bolt Jericho machined ring, but I was able to get this through a distributor and didn't have to wait for an order with the company. I'm thinking that this crank and an Eno Freewheel ought to finish off the new Voodoo for a while.

I appreciate the input.
    Scott

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXSS
    Believe it or not I have lucked into a set of M950 XTR arms that the previous owner didn't want due to the 180mm length. I know of both the Spot and Jericho ring, are there any others I should look at? Or is there a distinct advantage to either one of these over the other? (aside from availablity which might make the decision for me) Also if there is a recent thread that has beat this topic to death I apologise-

My current set up is XT cranks with a 4 bolt Jericho machined ring, but I was able to get this through a distributor and didn't have to wait for an order with the company. I'm thinking that this crank and an Eno Freewheel ought to finish off the new Voodoo for a while.

I appreciate the input.
    Scott
    Sorry I cant answer your question as I dont have any experience with these rings.

I am also interested in them, though.

I have a CODA Terantula crankset. It currently has a spider attached, but I think it also is splined under that lockring.

Can anyone tell me if they know....Is the Coda crank the same as those older XTR? It is around the same vintage, (about 5-6 years old now).

Thanks,
    Sam

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

spider

AC makes a spider for AC & XTR cranks. They have 4 and 5 arm spiders in 104, 94 & 110 bolt patterns. Check out www.cambriabike.com and go to the cranks section. Run about $35 and then you can use any rings you want.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Boone do a ring that goes straight onto the spider. You're talking big money for one of those, but you did say best....

Sam

mtbr member
    Boone is best

mtbr member
    I just took an old XTR ring, and cut the worn chain ring off, sanded down and polished the remaining spider and then reattatched an XTR middle ring. I wish I had a picture, but it looks ALMOST as good as anything those other companies are selling for $100.

Appalachian Singletrack'n

Spider is the best for me

I have tried the Jeicho (broke easily) and the Spot (wore quickly) and now use an AC spider and Salsa rings and am much happier. The splined rings look cool and are light but just donít hold up to the type of constant riding and bashing that I dish out. Cambria has the AC spides in stock usually and there is a guy on Ebay selling another version fairly often. Buying a new $100 chainring just because I was a little ambitious as to what I can clear is no fun to me.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Spot type ring available - 35T - NEW!

Quote Originally Posted by ATXSS

I appreciate the input.
    Scott
    Scott,
    I have a brand new Spot type (knock-off) 35T one-piece ring that I picked-up off of eBay (from Bruce Bell, if memory serves me)...
    It's sort of a burnished ti color (machined aluminum, not actual ti like Boone rings).
    If you're interested, drop me an e-mail: [email protected]OSPAM
    (hopefully you know the routine here - just drop the "NO SPAM" before you send e-mail.)
    Incidentally, I bought this ring for use with M952 XTR splined set-up and my crank length selection has since changed altogether, which means I now cannot use the ring with my current set-up and the ring is now for sale.

Thanks. Take care.
    EL_MATADOR
    EL_MATADOR

mtbr member

Boone Ti ring is my choice...

although I don't have one yet. I had a set of Boone rings in the early 90's, Strong and light.
    http://www.booneti.com/cr/cr.html

Good luck with your decision,