Best value rigid carbon 29er fork?- Mtbr.com
    808+909 = Party Good Time

Best value rigid carbon 29er fork?

Hey all

I understand the term value is subjective but what are the best rigid carbon forks for the money these days? Cheaper the better naturally but looking for reliable well tested options not just cheap.

Probably straight steerer in the 480-490 range.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I'd rather buy a good brand that's lightly used, I can vouch for a bontrager Bowie, never owned a carbon part but it came on my 2015 Superfly SS and it is outstanding, 5,000 rough ass miles and it hasn't flinched. Theres a chisel fork on the classified on pink bike, ad was from august but 150$

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chumbox View Post
    Hey all

I understand the term value is subjective but what are the best rigid carbon forks for the money these days? Cheaper the better naturally but looking for reliable well tested options not just cheap.

Thanks!
    I've been racing the Ritchey fork this past year and it hasn't flinched yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Downcountry AF
    Flinching: the new measure of carbon fork quality.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Hey all

Thanks!
    I've ridden 24hrs of op on this, plus thousands of hours training in every season. I'll do another solo with this, and it won't flinch.

Trail 490 - Carver Bikes

Thanks all so far. Some good suggestions in there. I hadn't come across the Carver Trail 490 and I can get a pretty good deal on it shipped to Australia, so it's looking like a good option, and looks pretty un-flinching.

mtbr member

Best value rigid carbon 29er fork?

Why does it have to be carbon?

Iíve got a J&L titanium fork on my 29er. Itís been a while. Light and strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by tk1971 View Post
    Why does it have to be carbon?

Iíve got a J&L titanium fork on my 29er. Itís been a while. Light and strong.

Do you like the feel of it? Last ti fork I used was flexible as all get out and this is coming from someone who rides 28mm forks on several bikes.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    Do you like the feel of it? Last ti fork I used was flexible as all get out and this is coming from someone who rides 28mm forks on several bikes.
    I love the feel. Not as flexy as my last fork which us a carbon Nashbar straight tube fork, which I think I broke because just before I replace it my caliper adjustments would be perfect on the repair stand, but when Iím on the bike I can hear rubbing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I'm pretty happy with my full carbon chinese fork. Been on there almost a year with no issues. I'm pretty much an ultra clyde and riding a SS.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/bran...311.0.0.tuJUDC
    Even cheaper now! My only complaint is that the TA is a little clunky looking and its prob not the lightest fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaiii View Post
    I've been racing the Ritchey fork this past year and it hasn't flinched yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    BRUNSWICK?!?

I'm a wilmintonian myself

(not to derail the thread)

EXORCIZE
    I hadn't come across the Carver Trail 490
    I'm in the market and have decided on the Carver Trail 490. Good specs, good price, not ugly, and choice of 100 or 110 axle.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

Quote Originally Posted by NeonRyder View Post
    I'm pretty happy with my full carbon chinese fork. Been on there almost a year with no issues. I'm pretty much an ultra clyde and riding a SS.
    Even cheaper now! My only complaint is that the TA is a little clunky looking and its prob not the lightest fork.
    This has tweaked my interested for a cheap throw on for my current ride. Hmm. Can't find the weight on the page, do you know roughly what it is?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Review on the page says 540g

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    BRUNSWICK?!?

I'm a wilmintonian myself

(not to derail the thread)
    Just part time. My S-I-L lives in Monkey Junction and I always take a bike when I visit. I'm north central, between Raleigh and Greensboro.

Quote Originally Posted by santabooze View Post
    I've ridden 24hrs of op on this, plus thousands of hours training in every season. I'll do another solo with this, and it won't flinch.

Trail 490 - Carver Bikes
    I'm told we're not allowed to say they don't flinch...
    Last edited by jcaiii; 10-24-2017 at 05:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've been on the Carver for the past 11mo. Can't complain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best value rigid carbon 29er fork?-2-06.13.17.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Niner RDO. You can find them used for a good price and if you're patient they do go on sale once in a while. I've done a couple thousand miles on mine and like it a lot.

mtbr member
    I just snagged a Specialized Chisel, used, for $120 shipped. Hopefully its decent, but its only a few bucks more than a steel rigid.

The original Niner fork was the best riding rigid I ever ran, but those are pretty spendy (relatively).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Niner RDO. You can find them used for a good price and if you're patient they do go on sale once in a while. I've done a couple thousand miles on mine and like it a lot.
    I have one as well, it's on my giant XTC that I ride exclusively in the winters. It's a great fork, and the lightest and stiffest I have ever used. But, that's the problem, 0 compliance, it will rattle your teeth out of your head.

For me its great for training but nothing too long or I'm hurting.

But that's me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by santabooze View Post
    I have one as well, it's on my giant XTC that I ride exclusively in the winters. It's a great fork, and the lightest and stiffest I have ever used. But, that's the problem, 0 compliance, it will rattle your teeth out of your head.

For me its great for training but nothing too long or I'm hurting.

But that's me.
    Interesting, I didn't realize the Niner is that stiff and unforgiving. I always thought it was pretty good but I run it on a Ti frame so maybe that's confounding the overall ride characteristics.

I also have a Planet-X/On-One (or whatever the branding is) monocoque fork on an old aluminum GF Rig with AL bars that I run in the wet months. That's my benchmark for teeth-rattling stiffness but I don't mind it for fun JRA days. I have no complaints with that fork for the price but I don't think they make it anymore. I suspect it would be a much better choice than those sketchy no name Chinese options.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Iíve been very happy with my Whisky No9 fork. Not exactly inexpensive, but great quality and great value....and it rides awesome. It absolutely rides/feels way better than the Karate Monkey fork Iíd been riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    Interesting, I didn't realize the Niner is that stiff and unforgiving. I always thought it was pretty good but I run it on a Ti frame so maybe that's confounding the overall ride characteristics.

I also have a Planet-X/On-One (or whatever the branding is) monocoque fork on an old aluminum GF Rig with AL bars that I run in the wet months. That's my benchmark for teeth-rattling stiffness but I don't mind it for fun JRA days. I have no complaints with that fork for the price but I don't think they make it anymore. I suspect it would be a much better choice than those sketchy no name Chinese options.
    That makes sense, I never ran it on my TI bike as I ordered the bike with the Carver trail fork.

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro View Post
    Iíve been very happy with my Whisky No9 fork. Not exactly inexpensive, but great quality and great value....and it rides awesome. It absolutely rides/feels way better than the Karate Monkey fork Iíd been riding.
    Good to know you like the ride quality of the Whiskey fork. That's the same fork I have on my new SS but it's hard for me to say definitively how it rides as the whole setup is new. I'm also using carbon bars and a 2.6" NN on a 30mm rim so I'm pretty well insulated. The end result is fantastic but I can't tell how much the fork contributes to ride quality.

If I didn't get this fork I would have gone with a Carver carbon fork. Best bang for the buck IMO. I have an older XC 465mm carbon fork from Carver that I'm quite happy with. I'm sure the newer 490 Trail fork is even better.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Good to know you like the ride quality of the Whiskey fork. That's the same fork I have on my new SS but it's hard for me to say definitively how it rides as the whole setup is new. I'm also using carbon bars and a 2.6" NN on a 30mm rim so I'm pretty well insulated. The end result is fantastic but I can't tell how much the fork contributes to ride quality.

If I didn't get this fork I would have gone with a Carver carbon fork. Best bang for the buck IMO. I have an older XC 465mm carbon fork from Carver that I'm quite happy with. I'm sure the newer 490 Trail fork is even better.
    Itís my first carbon fork. I was skeptical too. I thought ďit would just be lighter......but itís still rigid. It canít be that different?Ē But my awesome LBS assured me it would be MUCH better, and they gave me an awesome deal. They were right. Love the ride of the Whisky fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonRyder View Post
    I have a friend riding a Chiner fork from ebay and he's very happy with it so far. It's tough to write them off completely with the prices they're at.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmygato View Post
    I have a friend riding a Chiner fork from ebay and he's very happy with it so far. It's tough to write them off completely with the prices they're at.
    I was anxious about any Chinese carbon parts until I realized that the stock fork in my bike was a rebadged Chinese one. Since that was stickered by the bike company I had faith in it and once I found out the manufacturer I figured if it was good enough for them, it would be good enough for me.

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk