Best tire/rim combo for rigid 29er?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best tire/rim combo for rigid 29er?

Currently riding Ardent 2.4 on Flow EX. Considering Chronicle or Chupacabra on Blunt 35. Thoughts? Opinions? Drivel?

Also, now considering DT XM 481, Easton Arc 30, and WTB Asym i35.
    Last edited by BmoreKen; 10-29-2015 at 06:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Goals...?

Personally I am pretty happy with 2.35" racing ralph on the front and 2.25" on the rear. It's a light and fast setup. If you are riding a lot of heavy gnar you may want more tire but in terms the trails I normally ride or race the ralph has been a good performer. Mine are setup on I9 rims.

Really wide tires and rims are interesting but for most trails they are overkill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by febikes View Post
    Goals...?
    Take a bit of the sting out of the gnarly stuff without sacrificing the agility of a rigid setup.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    How much tire clearance to you have? I would think if you can run 29+ stuff go for it. I have blunts w/ 2.35" Ikon and 2.4" Ardent and like it. I wouldn't mind trying a Ti or Carbon post and bars at some point though.

mtbr member
    I ride rocks almost every ride. Running Ardent 2.4 on Flow at 18 psi rigid. I've also run Blunt 35 with a Knard up front at about 10 psi.. Thinking or trying the Blunt with an Ardent 2.4 soon.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I run Blunt35's with nobby nics 2.25 rear and 2.35 front. It's sandy and loose all the time so that's a good combo. I want to try the Bonty up front but I'm not sure it will fit my Niner carbon fork. I think I might try 2.4 Conti Mtn Kings first.
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member
    If you can fit a 29+ in your fork, it is worth a try. The cheapest option is the Gravity Vidar tire that can be bought on Amazon for $40 shipped. Make sure you use a good low pressure gauge and play with tire pressure to find what works best. With these big tires, even a 1-2 psi change can feel significantly different.

Also keep in mind that the bigger tire will raise up your front end and slacken the HTA a bit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have a gravity vidar working great up front on a flow EX.

Total game changer to me. I'd recommend everyone riding rigid try it out!

No need for Blunt. I am running Knards on Flow Ex with zero issues. I ran it on Blunt 35 last year and I don't notice any more squirming. I do notice the better bead hold on the Flow's which is much more confidence-inspiring. Had a few burps with Blunts. Not fun.

mtbr member
    Anyone have any experience with DT XM 481, Easton Arc 30, or WTB Asym i35?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    No need for Blunt. I am running Knards on Flow Ex with zero issues. I ran it on Blunt 35 last year and I don't notice any more squirming. I do notice the better bead hold on the Flow's which is much more confidence-inspiring. Had a few burps with Blunts. Not fun.
    i agree. on the flow when i get pressures low enough for the tire to squirm the rim is bottoming out way to frequently anyhow. I used to run 30psi in my 2.4's to keep the rims from hitting and am down to 15psi with my 29+ front. makes for a much less shocking rigid ride and great cornering traction. I am not worried about weight or speed too much so i doubt i'll ever switch back to a standard tire up front.

never tried it out as a rear tire because i don't have a bike to fit it on but frankly i think i'd hate spinning up a tire that heavy on our twisty singletrack. standing a lot anyhow so i feel like a 2.1 or 2.2 is all the cushion i need in back. call it a reverse mullet? party in the front, all business out back!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    One of those rims will be on my next build. The i35 most likely since it's wider.

Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

Quote Originally Posted by hardmtnbiker View Post
    One of those rims will be on my next build. The i35 most likely since it's wider.
    612g. Ouch. That's almost fat/plus bike territory.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    True that's hefty. I have i30 Blunt 35's their light but not welded and get dinged up pretty easy. If I go i30 then maybe the DT Swiss @ 525gms. I've had DT Swiss rims and they hold up really well.
    612g. Ouch. That's almost fat/plus bike territory.

Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member
    If money were no object, I'd go with a pair of Derby rims. I currently have a Dually with a Chupacabra up front and a Blunt 35 with a XR2 Team on the rear of my Stooge. It's a good combo, but yes the Velocity rims are soft, so you'll need to invest in a Rim 'Rench. I have Derbys on my geared bike and they're awesome. You can run a lower pressure and if you strike the rim, it's no big deal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thinking if I splurge on a new Crave that I might give the DT 481's a shot. I have the XM 490's on my SS hardtail and like em a lot. That bigger patch has got to be noticeable.

Same Hope hubs so they know it's me coming.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Anyone I know that has Derby's loves them. But those guys run them on full squishies. I'm not sure if the rim would beat you up too much on a rigid but I guess with their super wide rims you can put 3" tires and ease the pain.

Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member
    I have mine on a hardtail and my friend has them on a Surly 1x1. Two friends on FS as well. They're awesome.

mtbr member
    I've run 120tpi Knards, Vee Trax Fatties and now Dirt Wizards on my rigid SS Krampus. All are fragile if you're hammering rocky trails, so be careful and bring plugs. A Maxxis Minion 2.5 DHF is a great front tire on a 30mm rim. Burly with great traction and surprisingly good rolling. I've run it at 14psi on a blunt35 (and dinged the heck out of the rim) and at the same pressure on a NOX carbon with great results. Tires are much less likely to randomly (and painfully) burp on the Nox rims..

mtbr member
    Flow EX with a Minion 2.5. Bombproof. Every time I try 29+ its a huge waste of money and end up back with this.

Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan View Post
    Flow EX with a Minion 2.5. Bombproof. Every time I try 29+ its a huge waste of money and end up back with this.
    Such a heavy tire, though. I like Goma 2.4's. Although I wish someone would come out with a "lightweight" 2.5" tire.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    have you tried the cheapo innova tire? it is decently burly compared to most XC meats but of course it is no minion. definitely way tougher than the 120tpi knards though and has a tread pattern that actually grips the ground. i was using goma 2.4 and the specialized purgatory before this and it seems about equal from a toughness standpoint. it is no DH tire but definitely not a race weight XC casing either....

mtbr member
    Why is it a waste of money?

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Just having new wheels built now for my rigid. Running the new 30mm Easton Arc rims, and I'm planning on running a 2.4 Ardent rear, 2.5 DHR front. When I don't need all that grip, I like the new Teravail Sparwood 2.2.

mtbr member
    The first time was $400 for a wheel and $100 for a Knard when they first came out. The tire just sucked in every way the rim was heavy and crap for tubless. Then I waited along time for the dirt wizard,man was I hoping that this would be the perfect rigid tire finally got one and the side walls where like toilet paper thin rode it one time was afraid I would shred it first ride , was bouncy or smacking the rim. Sold that tire after one ride.
    Went back to the tried and true Minion and Flow 17psi bash the crap out of it never have to worry about anything ,traction tubless set up ,they last forever. So they weigh what 100 grams more. Still lighter as an assembly than a plus tire and plus rim. The plus thing is just not for me. One thing people don't seem to get is that all those big blocks of rubber in the tread act like absorbers and the ride is very smooth with out the bouncy balloon effect . You asked so this is how I feel.

mtbr member
    The first time was $400 for a wheel and $100 for a Knard when they first came out. The tire just sucked in every way the rim was heavy and crap for tubless. Then I waited along time for the dirt wizard,man was I hoping that this would be the perfect rigid tire finally got one and the side walls where like toilet paper thin rode it one time was afraid I would shred it first ride , was bouncy or smacking the rim. Sold that tire after one ride.
    Went back to the tried and true Minion and Flow 17psi bash the crap out of it never have to worry about anything ,traction tubless set up ,they last forever. So they weigh what 100 grams more. Still lighter as an assembly than a plus tire and plus rim. The plus thing is just not for me. One thing people don't seem to get is that all those big blocks of rubber in the tread act like absorbers and the ride is very smooth with out the bouncy balloon effect . You asked so this is how I feel.
    Appreciate the opinions. I recently tried a Chronicle on a WTB Scraper i45 and hated it because it was very heavy and didn't provide the cushion I'd hoped for. To get the cushion benefit, I had to run lower psi, but lower psi resulted in dramatic self-steer feeling that sucked. At higher psi, the self-steer went away, but had no cush, just carrying around extra weight. And the weight of the rim plus tire gave it a strange feel with a regular Flow/Nevegal in rear.

Now I'm going to try a Chupacabra on a WTB Asym i35, see how that works out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Stans Flows have a great seal and I have a set that sits in my garage, still holding air after a year of no use. They're also very durable,I have no issues with them. I just prefer the way the Schwalbes 2.2 to 2.4 ride and feel on my wider Blunts

Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    That's the rim and tire combo I going for on my next build
    Quote Originally Posted by BmoreKen View Post
    Appreciate the opinions.
    Now I'm going to try a Chupacabra on a WTB Asym i35, see how that works out.

Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member
    Sounds like fixgeardan's experience with 29+ is with one tire? I would agree that the Knards suck but I think 29+ is awesome with the right tire! I've only run plus sized tires on the front and definitely don't notice the weight and it absorbs the small bumps as well as any suspension fork. Front tires usually last 2 to 3 times longer for me than rear tires so as a front tire only it's not too expensive. Not sure that I would want a 29+ rear though both because of the cost and the weight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Plus size rear

You make a good point about plus size tires in the rear. It may not be needed and a lot less cost to buy standard size tires anyway. I do think the wider rims help you get more milage from tires. I've changed my "fast wearing" Schwalbe NN's and RR's less since I bought my Blunt35's
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanTemplar View Post
    Sounds like fixgeardan's experience with 29+ is with one tire? I would agree that the Knards suck but I think 29+ is awesome with the right tire! I've only run plus sized tires on the front and definitely don't notice the weight and it absorbs the small bumps as well as any suspension fork. Front tires usually last 2 to 3 times longer for me than rear tires so as a front tire only it's not too expensive. Not sure that I would want a 29+ rear though both because of the cost and the weight.

Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member
    WTB Asym i35 / Chupacabra is an incredible combination of agility and cush. Lightweight enough that you don't feel like you're driving a tank, but the 3" meat gives good cushion minus the self-steer feel the Chronicle had. I was running tubeless 17 psi on my bike pump gauge and 14 psi on the digital gauge. Basically found the sweet spot where there was just a tiny bit of self-steer, but really not noticeable on the trail. Plenty of clearance with Whisky #9 fork.