Best Tensioner?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Best Tensioner?

mtbr member

Best Tensioner?

What is the best tensioner for vertical dropouts?

Thanks
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle

Thanks
    As in chain tensioner or axle tensioner?

If chain tensioner (for vertical drops), then my recommendation is the Rollenlager at http://www.rennendesigngroup.com/rollen_info.html

if axle tensioner (for horizontal drops), then my recommendation is the Redline axle tensioner. The Surly wing nut is a little portly for my tastes.

There are a lot of different brands making nice equipment, but these are my favorites.

Hope this helps.

dd..''

Cold. Blue. Steel.

Using a Soulcraft Convert

I am currently using a Soulcraft Convert chain tensioner. And I am giving it very high marks for the short amount of time that I have been using it. It is completely quiet due to the locking mechanism and the urethane roller which glides on delron bearings. Set it and forget it. When you need to remove your wheel, just push the button and the rig rotates completely out of the way. Best of all, when you need to get it back in place, you just return the arm and "Click!" it goes back to your original setting!
    The extra bonus is the instruction manual (or should I say, Ten Commandments) which is super informative and quite funny. You will actually learn more about setting up your SS from their words of wisdom. Nothing like a quality product from guys with a great outlook on life. Sounds like the SS creed to me!
    Have fun with your build,
    Adam
    Spinning and Grinning...

mtbr member

Eno

Thanks
    If you got the $, use ENO: http://www.whiteind.com/eno.htm
    No headaches with this eccentric hub.

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    Another happy Convert camper here. The instructions may seem like overkill for such a simple device, but if you take the time to install it properly you'll get miles of smiles in return. Ditto for the coefficient of spendiness. You're paying for bomber construction and set-and-forget convenience. I've got about 2K miles on mine without even the hint of a problem. Run it in push-up mode if you can for better wrap around the rear cog. The folks at Soulcraft are great if you have questions.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Thanks
    Eccentric bottom bracket, but it must be built into the frame.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

hot like a box of fire
    another vote for the rollenlager...

speaking of which i need to put an add up for my spare one.

mtbr member

Who carries it?

Who carries the rollenlager?
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member

Smile Try the Rollenlager website ...

http://www.rennendesigngroup.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Eno

I love mine!

Seaside stand up!
    ENO will never make you regret spending the dough...
    antonio

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by djkellycx
    ENO will never make you regret spending the dough...
    How do you get it to not slip? I can't keep mine in place. Every big hill results in a slack chain (and misplaced brake shoes).

Any cogent insights would be greatly appreciated.

dd..''

PS. I have already put grease on the bolt threads to get the proper torque spec and I have used very long allen wrenches (with the aid of an 'intimidator').

Seaside stand up!
    I can't say I've had that problem, I'm a big guy (210lbs) and I'm a better than average climber, so I torque on that ENO pretty good. This is a stupid question but its also not my 1st: is it a 135mm or 130mm? Same question in regards to your rear dropout spacing. Please don't be insulted, I'm not a mechanic, I'm just taking a stab at it. Any insights Ernesto and other ENO users? Mechanics?

PS. I've snapped the chain but the ENO never budged.. also I just tighten it by hand with my tools, and it never feels like I'm over-doing it.
    Last edited by djkellycx; 06-21-2004 at 09:46 PM. Reason: extra info
    antonio

mtbr member
    Yep, it has been quite perplexing for me too. The rear drop-out spacing is a perfect match to the hub spacing. Everything seems to be in order. It is probably just technique, 180mm crank arms, etc.

dd..''

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I must say, another vote for teh RollenLagrer - available at www.rennendesigngroup.com.

I have used the Soulcraft (nice), the Singleator (not my cup of tea) and the Rollenlager is BY FAR the best Tensioner out there. It has been a rock star on my bike. Dont waste your dough on other trensioners - do it right the first time. Get the RL.

Hope you enjoy.

Brain

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by big.brain
    I must say, another vote for teh RollenLagrer - available at www.rennendesigngroup.com.

Brain
    Man, thanks for the kind words.. all of you!

We at Rennen have been working on that piece for a while now, so we are psyched you like it.

Feel free to contact me with any questions. [email protected]
    Rollenlagers are IN!!

Check it out at www.RennenDesignGroup.com

Birdman aka JMJ

Another vote for ENO eccentric

Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    If you got the $, use ENO: http://www.whiteind.com/eno.htm
    No headaches with this eccentric hub.
    Love it... only "problem" is having to reset chain tension if you remove the rear wheel (say, to fix a flat). If you change freewheels often, there is some minor disassembly.. Other than that, it's sweet and easy.

JMJ
    Last edited by Birdman; 06-23-2004 at 12:41 PM. Reason: typo

The man who fell to earth

I'd say pass on the Soulcraft..

I've used the Soulcraft convert for about a year now, and although it is constructed with quality in mind, it is overpriced and frankly doesn't work properly. Mine has slipped (resulting in slackened chain) since I got it and I installed it precisely to the manufacturer's instructions. It does hold chain tension just barely enough on its own for the chain to not slip off, but to really keep the chain properly tensioned (in the desirable push up mode), I had to tie the adjustable arm to the chainstay with a zip tie (and cut and remove the zip tie each time I want to remove the rear wheel). Plus it has a little lever/knob on the adjustable arm (used to disengage the tensioner and swing it out of the way) that is nothing more than a small spring roll pin....it fell off somewhere along the line and hasn't been seen since (although I can still use the tensioner, but not without significant hassle/use of tools). All in all, not worth the premium price one bit IMHO.

Plus, if you get a single roller tensioner like the Soulcraft or the Rennen (or any others) you are very limited in your ability to swap out various cogs with the same chain. For instance, on my bike (converted GT Zaskar), if I set it up for a 32:16, and then try and swap out the 16t cog with a 17t or 18t cog, I can't fit the chain over the cog...it's too short. So I have to either put an extension on the chain or cut another one to the proper length to accommodate each unique cog and/or chainring combination (although there is *some* overlap with certain limited number of ratios). The only way around this is to have a tensioner that takes up a reasonable amount of slack. I ride with an SS buddy who just uses an old Shimano derailleur and he swaps out gears all the time, no fuss, no muss, no swapping chains. Plus his tensioner always holds the correct tension, no slipping BS.

Rohlhoff makes a nice dedicated dual roller tensioner, but I think its about as pricey as an XT derailleur.

Thanks

Now... harder to kill.

Melvin

I have a Paul's Melvin on my soft-tail SS and it does a great job. I think the spring tension on the two pulleys is a real benefit of there's any movement out back. For a hard-tail it might be overkill, but go for it anyway. What else are you going to spend you money on?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 415m3
    What else are you going to spend you money on?
    ahhh bike parts... don't ya love it.
    Rollenlagers are IN!!

Check it out at www.RennenDesignGroup.com