Ahhh the pain....

Best Susp Fork for SS?

Like the title says....if you were buying a susp fork for a SS, what would you buy?

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    fox terralogic...

if only i could cash in rep i might be able to afford one....

dammit...
    Click Here for Forum Rules

Apr 2007
    Haven't tried the Terralogic, but I heard it's cool. I've got a Reba that I'm happy with.

BTW, what's the difference between a SS fork and a regular fork?

Did I catch a niner+?
    I use a Lefty and I think it's perfect.

However I would really want something like what Specialized has done with the interia valve in a fork. Get that rigid uphill feel while plush on the DH. Or really anything with a remote lockout on your handlebars has my win for best fork.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Fox Terralogic. But the cost is a touch high...

I have a Fox Vanilla RLC. It's rad. I want a Fragile Forks rigid fork. Can't seem to find them on the internet right now though... If anyone has any info, pass it my way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

Pedaler of dirt
    What would make a fork SS specific? Usually it's frame geometry, terrain and riding style that dictate which forks you need, not gear choice.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I like my 1997 Marzocchi Z1... but it's tough to argue with a Fox terralogic. The F100RLC can be had for around 350 from ebay.
    Friends don't let friends ride geared bikes

Is that Bill rated?
    What are you using the SS for? Put another way, whatever fork is good for the trails you want to ride. I spend time on gnarly tech trails and find a longer coil sprung fork that is very active suits my needs, you may not.
    Well, it was a good try.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    cant go wrong with a fox f series rlc. go with the 15mm thru axle.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

Fox fan here (biased).

Fox or Rockshox I wish I had sprung for 15qr setup, but the 9mm setup was too sweet to pass up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Fox or Rockshox I wish I had sprung for 15qr setup, but the 9mm setup was too sweet to pass up.
    Could always improve the front end with a 9mm DTSwiss RWS thru axle... not quite the same as a 15qr, but better than standard QR.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

I like the noodle steering now that I'm used to it.

The shimano XT wheels are not the stiffest lateraly. My other 29er s.s. has cheapo WTB wheels that are STOUT-very nice wheelset (Laserdiscs on LX). That Fox fork is only 100mm and the whole setup is stiffer. Better? I like both! My 26 has 15QR and I don't think the upgrade was worth it. If you START with 15qr it is worth it.

mtbr member
    fatty headshok.
    Let's ride...

mtbr member
    Older vanilla 125 RLC here. 4.18 lbs too heavy. Can be tuned to perform similarly to an inertia valved fork...Also can be run at 80 & 100 travel...
    Smooth as butter...Can be had on eBay for 200 or so...

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by marzjennings View Post
    What would make a fork SS specific? Usually it's frame geometry, terrain and riding style that dictate which forks you need, not gear choice.
    while i generally agree, i think that with the tendency for standing and climbing, the love of efficiency and the lack of desire to fiddle with stuff on your handlebars, people are going to recommend a fork with an inertia valve or a good platform moreso for ss riding than geared.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    while i generally agree, i think that with the tendency for standing and climbing, the love of efficiency and the lack of desire to fiddle with stuff on your handlebars, people are going to recommend a fork with an inertia valve or a good platform moreso for ss riding than geared.
    ^^^^^This. It's why I chose to get a 15mm Fox Terralogic for my SS. Properly set up the fork does what it should both up and down hill.
    Barry
    Yeah well, that's just, ya' know, like, your opinion, man.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    The way I hear some people talking about bob while standing I think they must have learned how to climb from a salmon! No human should have to flop and thrash that much
    Last edited by boomn; 07-28-2011 at 01:31 PM.

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    No human should have to flop and thrash that much
    You've obviously never witnessed my skinny ass McD fry sized legs.

Thanks for the edit. I was having trouble visualizing bobbing fish.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post
    You've obviously never witnessed my skinny ass McD fry sized legs.

Thanks for the edit. I was having trouble visualizing bobbing fish.
    You have an excuse since you're a trout!

Yeah, I had to re-re-read my original post to realize it just didn't make much sense

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

That Vanilla sounds good

I have WAAAAY to much money in 3 Fox forks. $ 200 for a used sounds good. I wish I would try a Vanilla. Maybe next build.

Jul 2006
    The way I hear some people talking about bob while standing I think they must have learned how to climb from a salmon! No human should have to flop and thrash that much
    seriously....
    i got rid of my fork with inertia valving because it wasn't as plush as i'd like. I still don't notice pedal bob at all. If pedal bob is effecting your climbing abilities, then it's time to re-evaluate your suspension settings and riding techniques.
    I have a rigid bike as well, and i actually notice more energy being wasted in the climbs and more dabs on that with my hardtail, especially on techy climbs.

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    seriously....
    i got rid of my fork with inertia valving because it wasn't as plush as i'd like. I still don't notice pedal bob at all. If pedal bob is effecting your climbing abilities, then it's time to re-evaluate your suspension settings and riding techniques.
    I have a rigid bike as well, and i actually notice more energy being wasted in the climbs and more dabs on that with my hardtail, especially on techy climbs.
    Yeah but, you suck at riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    There's no excuse not going with a Lefty fork. Best out there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Susp Fork for SS?-black-sheep-full-suspension-29er-001-medium-.jpg  

Let's ride
    Lefty with remote lockout(XLR). The rest of yuz are fooling yourselves with your flexy pogo sticks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    is the lefty that really much better to justify the price premium?
    Friends don't let friends ride geared bikes

WNC Native
    Haven't ever tried a Lefty, but my 2011 Terralogic fork was awesome.
    I ran it 2 clicks out from full firm. Nice and firm on climbs, way less brake dive, and it still railed a smooth berm like a rigid fork. Yet on impact of a rock or root, it would open up and go into the travel.

It could be set to be very, very plush too.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Is that Bill rated?
    Have had nothing but maintenance issues with the three leftys that I have had in my past. Don't know as that experience could be overcome.
    Well, it was a good try.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I have used the float 100 and both a 26" and 29" REBA. I would give the Fox a slight edge in overall feel but the Reba has been less maintenance for me, my Fox blew through seals in quick order, well under the recommended maintenance interval. My 26" reba had the Poploc my 29" doesn't, I do miss that. Both are pretty easy to work on. Both are very nice stuff and will come down to personal preference based on something subjective like color or marketing hype. I will say all the BS marketing terms RockShox uses are a bit aggravating.
    2008 Kona Kula 2-9 SS 2010 SWorks Epic
    Riding trails you maintain is more fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Fox F100RL Remote, recently picked a new take-off up cheap, swapped out a F100RLC on my SS. No more one handed riding, same great Fox ride quality, etc. Great upgrade.

Let's ride
    Quote Originally Posted by b0mb3r View Post
    is the lefty that really much better to justify the price premium?
    So far, it is worth it. I have a 2011. I've heard some of the older, 07/08 110SL Leftys were problematic.

Jul 2006
    I wouldn't go with a crak-n-fail product after they just laid off 200 people so they can move operations to Taiwan.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't go with a crak-n-fail product after they just laid off 200 people so they can move operations to Taiwan.
    I agree to a point, but that at the same time that just means the bad taste is fresher in our mouths than from all the other companies that did the same stuff 10 years ago. I'm not sure what to think about them right now

Jul 2006
    I agree to a point, but that at the same time that just means the bad taste is fresher in our mouths than from all the other companies that did the same stuff 10 years ago. I'm not sure what to think about them right now
    yea, but to do it in this economy where the unemployment rate was 13% in that area was pretty harsh. If they did it just because it was a last resort before shutting down, that's one thing.... but their parent company had record profits that year. That just says pure greed.

mtbr member
    yea, but to do it in this economy where the unemployment rate was 13% in that area was pretty harsh. If they did it just because it was a last resort before shutting down, that's one thing.... but their parent company had record profits that year. That just says pure greed.
    Good point. That said, the parents company's profits may (or may not) have been from other areas of the company and many companies don't believe in subsidizing poorly performing divisions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I'm a month into a new relationship with a Magura Durin and so far it's been pretty damm sweet. It's got the trifecta of being plusher, more stiff, and lighter than my old Manitou R7. Magura seems to have a good rep for reliability but time will tell. BTW it is also the easiest fork to get dialed in that I've ever had.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I have an RL, RLC and XX. If I was buying a fork today, I would buy another XX. The Fox forks seem to have a little more small bump compliance but also more brake dive. I don't have the newest terra logic but my RL is 2008 my RLC and XX are 2010. They are all good forks and I have manged to put remote lockouts on my Fox forks with a little personal engineering. There are 2 reasons I would buy the XX above the Fox. The x-loc remote lockout with floodgate is great. The Fox with a remote is WAY more money and basically no better.

For a singles speed and really for any bike, once you have had a remote, there is no going back.

One thing that is different and some people might not like it. When the Fox is locked it is locked unless there is a really really big hit. When the XX is locked, it still has a small range of very dampened movement (like an inch) and then the blow off is adjustable with the floodgate from almost as hard to blow off as the Fox to fairly easy to blow off. So if you are one of those guys that wants a really really locked out fork, get the Fox. I find the almost locked out XX more to my liking.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    i will chime in on the lefty as well. i love the thing

SS Pusher Man
    Gotta say, really liking the Reba RLT Ti w/20mm Maxle on the El Mariachi. Smooth frok.....and stiff. Can lock out to about 95%.....but rarely need it that locked out.....usually leave it 2 clicks out from full lock.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

The need for singlespeed
    Forgive my out-of-the-loopness, but to which company are you referring?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zaskaranddriver View Post
    Forgive my out-of-the-loopness, but to which company are you referring?
    cannondale = crack and fail my take on it anyway. Goes with the lefty topic also.

The need for singlespeed
    lolz

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    The Lefty is light. But there is no easy remote (they will say that the lever is fairly high) and it is subject to fairly frequent maintenance. I like the overall concept of the Lefty, but since I have to remove the front wheel every ride the Lefty is a no go since you also have to take the brake off to remove the front wheel. Also, a local really fast guy that is well respected put a lefty on his geared bike (he mostly rides SS) and after 3 months changed back because he felt that it wasn't as good at dampening even though it was way stiff.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

Let's ride
    But where are the other forks made? By the above, we're left with buying White Brothers forks...

I get your point, and share it. I HATE companies that chase greed and lay off US workers to offshore jobs.