Best SS comment ever?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best SS comment ever?

So I was riding up a local trail the other day. This was a failry shallow part of the trail and it's a sorta tought climb, but certainly not the hardest in the area. A guy comming down said this as we passed:

"You are all that is Man!"

That's certainly a lot better than, "rockin' the singlespeed," or, "right on, another singlespeeder!" both of which I've gotten recently.

And I've gotten way more comments about riding singlespeeds recently than I did in the past. It's strange 'cause it used to actually be weird, but now I see another singlespeeder every other ride it seems. Maybe it's mainstream enough that people know about it and recognize it more now?

Out there
    Aug 2006
    that is great

I am trying to find the origins of the phrase but I am only turning up SUPER TROOPERS (2001) which I suspect is not it (*cough*).

NB: The correct reponse (also from ST2001) is "Hail to thee!"

mtbr member
    The only comments I've had are:

"That bikes is lovely, in a weirdy beardy sort of way!"

... And

"You'll be growing a beard and wearing sandals next!"

Sheesh some people just don't understand!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Hey, I made a comment to a singlespeeder this weekend, I think it was
    "On your left!"

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004

my best

i was riding with a group of 4(to be honest they let me have a nice lead before they started up) up a long exposed trail, about halfway up another ss'er stops his descent to let me by, we just say hi to each other, then at the top of the climb my buddies catch up and they say the other guy told them they were wimps and they better push it cause the guy in front of them was on a ss and he was kicking their ass!
    disclaimer: i (NO LONGER) live with my mom...

Quote Originally Posted by pinkheadedbug
    that is great

I am trying to find the origins of the phrase but I am only turning up SUPER TROOPERS (2001) which I suspect is not it (*cough*).

NB: The correct reponse (also from ST2001) is "Hail to thee!"
    Yep. Rammathorne says it right after winning the maple syrup chugging contest.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    When I was grinding up a hill in Leadville during this year's race, a bloke pedaled by and said, "Mysterious pagan god!"
    Worked for me. It immediately took the place of my previous mantra, which was, "Will. Not. Hurl."

mtbr member
    haha, that is awesome!

blet drive
    i like the one " oh yes another leg buster"

Single Speed Junkie
    This summer took a trip out to Oregon with a guide service as the wife gets to worried when I fly solo. Upon leaving the bike shop everyone was getting their bikes out and fine tuning everything. While the single speed was sitting just out of the way. When the group learned that I'm not riding a FS geared bike all laughed and could not beleive that anyone would be so foolish to take such a bike on an epic "Your riding that?" was fairly common response even from the guides. I just smiled and had a great time riding the trail with them. Riding a SS in with other that was geared was not an issue the entire ride only on the up hills as I always caught them and had to pass. Only time I ever felt leftout was on a downhill / flat road section, but was the only one to stop for the berries as well. Good time and will bring my SS on all epics from here on out.

ali'i hua
    my best:

"hey, you forget your gears?"

Not because I'm fast.....
    "Nice day for a hike, eh?" I was off the bike pushing at the time.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by crux
    This summer took a trip out to Oregon ... all laughed and could not beleive that anyone would be so foolish to take such a bike on an epic...
    Your experience could not have occurred at any of the bike shops in Eugene, Oregon... at least not one that caters to mountain bikers. I'm guessing either a road oriented shop or more likely, another city in Oregon entirely?

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Members who have read this thread: 0