Best SS 29er crank--money no object!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Cool-blue Rhythm Best SS 29er crank--money no object!

Hey all,
    If you were building the 29er Single speed of your dreams and wanted the lightest, stiffest crank to fit that oversize BB, what would you have? The Raceface Next SL fits the bill, but needs a bashguard, the Specialized S-Works is sweet, as is the FSA. What are your thoughts?

thanks--

Birthday Collector
    Not sure that an Oversize BB would be on the SS of my dreams - maybe an eccentric - I really like the look of that Fifteen G crank. Trick crank/spindle interface and it looks nicely made. Middleburn would possibly be there too, or a White Bros. Something a bit different, but wouldn't get too crazy spendy, as cranks and rocks tend to interact once in a while...
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

mtbr member
    well if your looking at a frame that will work with the Spec S-Works cranks it your only option!

give us some more info, what frame are you using? what is your BB? is it 68mm?, 73mm?, BB30? or OSBB30?

for the record I have 15g 180mm on my single speed and love them, not the lightest but pretty darn stiff
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Singletrack Slayer
    I love my Noir carbon cranks and would love a single speed version form my SS 29er dream bike. Light and stiff
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

i don't give a shift
    Rotor's 2x9 3D cranks:

I'm gonna have to kill ya
    Everyone has different goals

I bought my "dream" cranks for my current build which was some weight weenie KCNC jobies, although the lightening cranks posted recently in the WW form look nice (KCNC look nicer IMHO)

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The bike is the new Specialized Stumpjumper S-Works 29er SS. It has an oversized BB which I believe is equivalent to BB30, but Specialized doesn't call it that. I'm thinking that I'll likely go with the XTR cranks, but the Rotors look cool and I appreciate all the comments.

mtbr member
    The Spec Cranks are very nice. but you can't go bad with either the XTR or Spec cranks.

if it was my frame I would get the spec cranks just so I wouldn't have to run an adapter with the cranks
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Thanks...

but I think the XTR cranks fit without adapters, too, according to the guys at my LBS. The whole BB/crank fit thing is annoying to me, and difficult to figure out--too many standards, IMHO. Also, the S-Works cranks, while beautiful and light, won't be available until January. I'd hope to ride the bike before that! Patience is a virtue that I sorely lack, but I'm getting better. It's not like the XTRs are a bad choice, just maybe not the most stylin'.

mtbr member
    The XTR will require a derylin/nylon press in adapter/bearing cup with bearing that presses into the BB30 shell than your XTR will slide in. Your LBS should be able to order them direct through Specialized.

Team Awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by collideous
    Rotor's 2x9 3D cranks:

Do you know if the rotor cranks have a standard spider interface? I'd like to get a narrower q factor, and lose my chainring bolts.

Does anybody have any info on this? Or, has anyone set these up SS?

i don't give a shift
    Quote Originally Posted by playpunk
    Do you know if the rotor cranks have a standard spider interface? I'd like to get a narrower q factor, and lose my chainring bolts.
    Q-factor is 163mm and BCD is a lovely 110/74mm.

mtbr member
    I would run a Saint or XTR crankset with a single speed chainring of your choice (stainless, 7075 aluminum or even titanium custom) and a Chris King external bottom bracket. I assume it's an oversize BB that has sleeves that fit the different proprietary "technologies" you're looking to fill. That'll set you back about $400-500. I suppose that would be money no object since you can buy a complete SS bike for that the price of your crankset. I'm aiming at not offering something that is so underground and rare with a lack of replacement options that it becomes antiquated a year after its introduction.
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    an xtr made into a ss would be pretty awesome but im a big fan of kcnc and you could convert that to SS. or if you want something that will NEVER break get middleburn. if i could afford a ss middleburn i think thats the way id go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just received my s works frame and it comes with the hardware for the BB so you can use Shimano cranks, you will not need any other bottom bracket from what I can tell.

um hmmm
    Nov 2009
    Cannondale SI bb30 cranks .. thats the way to go.

Members who have read this thread: 0