Best Singlespeed Kit?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Best Singlespeed Kit?

I'm thinking of converting my 29er to Single Speed. I notice that both Performance and Nashbar have kits that include most things needed for the conversion. However, they both get not very good reviews. Is there another kit out there that's better or should I just buy what I need separately? In the reading I've done this is what I think I'll need:

Spacers
    Cogs
    Lockrings
    Tensioner
    New Chain
    Bash Guard
    Chain watcher

Eventually maybe a new chainring/crankset, but for now I think I can make do with just keeping the middle chainring?

mtbr member
    I can't help you with a tensioner, but...

I use Surly cogs and spacers, and a SRAM 8-speed chain. E-13 makes decent bash guards, but they are a little heavy. Salsa makes a cool sawtooth one! I also like the N-Gear Jump Stop chain guide. I use that on my 1x9 Pugsley, and my wife's bike...

mtbr member
    Jenson has a kit you can customize, but there are some things you can't remove: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/build...ize.aspx?bk=37

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I just finished installing Surly cog and spacers. The instructions tell you exactly which spacers to use with their cog to get the right stack length and 50mm chainline. It was a piece of cake.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I have two single speeds, both of tensioners. On my budget ride I just bought the Performance kit and it's been trouble free. It's not a bad place to start. If you end up not liking one bit or another you can upgrade.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    go to ebay and search for godspeed. best tensioner for the money
    Bike Building and Painting

Crystavox Single Speed Bikes

Members who have read this thread: 0