Best short winter ride strategy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Best short winter ride strategy

The snow is coming here already. Won't be here long for now, but it will be here to stay soon enough. I like to get a couple of short lunch rides in a week, mainly to get outside and in the sun a little. Would it be better to 1) ride my cross bike for 1:15 nearby, or 2) get a 16 or 18 tooth cog and ride the SS on the road, and use the fairly steep road climbs right near my house? I know--it is probably the best to alternate, but you I just really enjoy the big effort with the recovery on the SS. Thoughts appreciated.

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    The road sucks. Cross ride will be soo much better.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I'd choose option c:
    Get some big fat tires and ride offroad.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Awesome option--if I had it

[QUOTE=CB2;8581640]I'd choose option c:
    Get some big fat tires and ride offroad.

Despite my fairly rural location, I don't have great immediate access to nice trails like that. Basically landowner issues. I do ride our rail-trail in the snow though and it is a nice alternative, but ends up taking a lot more time out of the work day.

Apr 2007
    I ride road on my roadie SS during the winter months. On occasion, I head south on a mtb trip.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Been thinking about that...

Yeah, been thinking about building up a road SS. I have a rolling 10-15 mi loop that a bike like that could make me work really hard on. Any direction I go I get into extended climbs on the eastern side of the Alleghenies, but perhaps, like the MTB SS, a road SS might liven up what is "normally a road that just gets me to the ride." Would just stay away from the long climbs here.

Yeah, that's basically a cliff where the road stops in the photo, and that's the average gradient. Garmin says there is a section that is 26% for a half-mile. Great descent though, just like a rollercoaster--new people yell out loud when the road drops out from underneath of them. That's the stuff I run into on the road just about any direction I travel from my house. But I do like climbing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best short winter ride strategy-18percent.jpg  

Apr 2007
    Steep. Where I ride, I'm at about 10-15%. I'm geared 48x18, though. I'm sure you'd be able to find a good gearing for your roads. I've got one ride up a canyon that I've always wanted to do (18% grade), and I've got a 22T set aside for that. Coming down would be interesting, as I'm on a fixed gear...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    Steep. Where I ride, I'm at about 10-15%. I'm geared 48x18, though. I'm sure you'd be able to find a good gearing for your roads. I've got one ride up a canyon that I've always wanted to do (18% grade), and I've got a 22T set aside for that. Coming down would be interesting, as I'm on a fixed gear...
    I would say most of the climbs near my are between 9-13%, with steeper sections. But I guess those steeper sections are what hits you on the SS, just like off-road. I do have a wonderful old steel frame up in the attic just sitting there. Guess I could look into what I would need to get to put that on the road.

Thanks for the thoughts!