Best rigid SS for Pisgah trails?- Mtbr.com
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015

Best rigid SS for Pisgah trails?

What's the best rigid SS for the trails in Pisgah?
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    What's the best rigid SS for the trails in Pisgah?
    *subscribed*
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Up In Smoke
    Any will do, is your question about gearing?

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Any will do, is your question about gearing?
    No, it's about whats the best rigid SS for Pisgah trails. I have a bunch of different cogs for gearing.

Nov 2015
    I should clarify what I mean. I mean the best rigid SS for the Pisgah trails like Black MTN, Bennet, Buckwheat, Farlow,Bracken, Laurel MTN, Pilot rock, Heartbreak, kitsuma, star gap. This place is tough on bikes so need something with no moving parts.

WNC Native
    Well I was gonna say ask Dicky........
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Well I was gonna say ask Dicky........
    More people ride rigid SS in Pisgah than Dicky, I see them everywhere. Never slowed down enough to get a bike check. One guy did have a Jones something or other it's really long probably real stable. The best SS frame for Pisgah is not the same as the best SS rigid for Pisgah. Only so many frames can take a rigid fork. The best ones would have like 120-140 up front but those can't take rigid.

mtbr member
    Id probably say a Karate Monkey or Krampus, since Surlys are boat anchors. Black Mtn, Bennet Gap, etc all beat me up pretty good on a Yeti SB5, I dont imagine your run of the mill Kona Unit is going to hold up to those trails for very long. I also had a Nimble 9 that I ran a rigid Whisky fork on the bottom bracket was real low but it actually didnt ride too shabby. Thats a real beefy frame too, so its an option.

Downcountry AF
    Ideally I would say a Kona Honzo or a Transition Vanquish, but I don't know of a carbon fork long enough. Modern "trail" hardtails are coming with at least a 120mm fork now. Hard to find aggressive geometry designed with a 100mm fork in mind.

Based on what I know of your riding I'm assuming this will be bike that gets raced and thus you'll be looking for carbon not steel?

The two bikes that come to mind are the Niner Air 9 RDO and the Pivot Les. Both are SS compatible.

https://ninerbikes.com/products/air-9-rdo

https://www.pivotcycles.com/en/bike-...#geometry-link

Third choice- Salsa Timberjack https://salsacycles.com/bikes/timber...mberjack_frame
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Downcountry AF
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Kona Unit has what I would call fairly aggressive geometry for something designed around a 470mm rigid fork.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Ideally I would say a Kona Honzo or a Transition Vanquish, but I don't know of a carbon fork long enough. Modern "trail" hardtails are coming with at least a 120mm fork now. Hard to find aggressive geometry designed with a 100mm fork in mind.

Based on what I know of your riding I'm assuming this will be bike that gets raced and thus you'll be looking for carbon not steel?

The two bikes that come to mind are the Niner Air 9 RDO and the Pivot Les. Both are SS compatible.

https://ninerbikes.com/products/air-9-rdo

https://www.pivotcycles.com/en/bike-...#geometry-link

Third choice- Salsa Timberjack https://salsacycles.com/bikes/timber...mberjack_frame
    Thanks, if I could trust niner I would buy that close out rdo and snap about 3 of them in half but then I'd half to deal with them. This bike is more for utility than racing. I have my sworks epic HT setup SS. Scared to break it day to day use though or destroy my top fuel cause I need that to race. I didn't think of the Kona Unit that other poster mentioned that may be the one forgot about that model.

I'm just going to find the longest a/c rigid fork I can find carbon or steel but I still don't think I can get away with a 120 geo frame with rigid. I def dont want a lower bb although if ebb I can raise the pedal height back up.

Are there any weird niche bikes with slacker geo but shorter a/c?

Nov 2015
    Any bike with a threaded bb would work as a SS too if it fits the criteria but don't have sliders or anything for tension.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I can't speak on their quality, but Carver makes a carbon rigid fork both in 470 and 490mm a2c. 490 might be long enough to run on a frame design around a 120 fork.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Soma Juice might be another to check out. Similar to the Unit, but the dropouts have screws to tension. I've never ridden at Pisgah so no clue which one of these might work best for you. Happy hunting.

Downcountry AF
    Cool, then if your just looking for a fun bike to pound on I'd strongly consider a Surly. Great geo, fun, durable, affordable.

Have you considered 29+? It's super fun, different, and makes a great rigid setup. It also opens up a lot of other possibilities.

https://forums.mtbr.com/26-27-5-29-p...-a-948304.html
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Cool, then if your just looking for a fun bike to pound on I'd strongly consider a Surly. Great geo, fun, durable, affordable.

Have you considered 29+? It's super fun, different, and makes a great rigid setup. It also opens up a lot of other possibilities.

https://forums.mtbr.com/26-27-5-29-p...-a-948304.html
    Can a stache still be ran rigid? I stopped keeping track of every SS in existence when I retired from SS racing. The giant xtc I totally forgot about too and my buddy has one rigid with the new niner rdo boost fork that's probably about 69 hta, is 67 possible rigid or am I dreaming with that one?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pade View Post
    Soma Juice might be another to check out. Similar to the Unit, but the dropouts have screws to tension. I've never ridden at Pisgah so no clue which one of these might work best for you. Happy hunting.
    Ive literally known at least 5 people that broke Soma frames just riding normal Midwest trails. I wouldn't trust a Vassago or Soma as far as I could throw them in trails like Asheville.

achiever
    Pretty sure Trek has a carbon rigid fork available for the Stache, the use it on the aluminum frame bikepacking model. I think you can find info about it in the plus bike sub forum.

WNC Native
    Now that you've given us more info, some of these are solid suggestions.

Surly KM, Surly Krampus, AL Stache (chainline is critical and larger chain wrap combos recommended), Kona Unit, Salsa Timberjack,
    RSD Sergeant, RSD MiddleChild (with their upcoming 510mm fork and the right mixed tire combo could be pulled off) Esker Hayduke, Jeff Jones, or Stooge Cycles Mk4 (this one has a short A to C, slack HT angle and 80mm fork offset!!)

I've seen a few Vassago's cracking lately, I wouldn't trust them or Soma. Supposedly Canfield isn't dead and may have more Nimble 9s coming.

You also could rock a rigid fat SS, yes I'm one of those freaks/idiots.

Also there are quite a few 483-510mm fork options around these days.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Downcountry AF
    Can a stache still be ran rigid? I stopped keeping track of every SS in existence when I retired from SS racing. The giant xtc I totally forgot about too and my buddy has one rigid with the new niner rdo boost fork that's probably about 69 hta, is 67 possible rigid or am I dreaming with that one?
    I'm not familiar with the current trek bikes as far as fork availability? Someone else around here will know.

67 HTA will be a little tough to do, but you can put an angleset in a Krampus or something and get close. Honestly I tend to think you'll be more limited by the rigid front end than the HTA, I don't know if there's much to be gained by slacking out a bike with a rigid fork?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Rod
    mtbr member
    I'm also in the surly club. It comes with a rigid fork, short rear so you can wheelie to get up those roots, and they're built super tough. If you get too beat up you can toss anywhere from a 100-140 on the front. I suggest the new monkey or krampus. You could even go used if you want to save money and have a more traditional geometry.

The other option is to buy a yeti or something similar and put durable wheels on it.

Enjoy Pisgah!

mtbr member
    The answer to this question is going to be very subjective based on how you like to ride. I can't see how one rigid bike would be better than another for any particular region.

Regarding putting a rigid fork on a bike that was designed around a long squish fork, my main concern would be the affect on BB height. Bike like the Honzo and Stache are built around a long fork and intended to have a lot of BB drop for stability. If you put a significantly shorter fork on it, it could set the BB dangerously low.
    Bike/frames that could me to mind, but are all very different:
    Karate Monkey - great all-around geo, frame only if you want SS or you can buy the rigid complete and put a SS cog on it and sell the shifty bits.
    Kona Unit- a bit longer than the KM. I think the SS version comes with B+ tires and wide rims
    Marin Pine Mountain- steel and not SS specific, but if you can tolerate a tensioner it could work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    NEW 2017 Trek Stache 5 29+ 17.5″ Rigid Mountain Bike (216 Center St Statesville, NC 2867) $1350 | First Flight Bicycles

very capable rigid bicycle. little finicky as a singlespeed with the elevated stays but it works for me. fun bike tho; and once you get it adjusted correctly you'll forget about the stays! about to set mine up geared again as i have a carbon version currently singlespeeded out. the rigid fork it comes with is a little off as it is not boost spaced but it rides nice and is pretty damn light for a stock fork.

Downcountry AF
    I will add the 29+ tires to make up for some of the lack of suspension. The extra cush and grip allow for a more forgiving ride, better descending, and more control in loose/technical terrain.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Nov 2015
    The problem is some companies show the geo with sag and some without. So if it's showing at sag and I go rigid I have an idea of how that's going to change things with the bb height and hta, but alot just say the a/c and don't specify so I'm left wondering if I take off 25pct sag what will that give me, then rigid drops it how much.

I recently sold my Vassago Optimus ti 29+, just to avoid breaking it, otherwise that thing would destroy Pisgah or be destroyed lol. I probably need the karate monkey cause I need boost.

I was eyeing up a salsa woodsmoke too, that thing can fit a 54 chainring, talk about chain wrap!!

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    The answer to this question is going to be very subjective based on how you like to ride. I can't see how one rigid bike would be better than another for any particular region.

Regarding putting a rigid fork on a bike that was designed around a long squish fork, my main concern would be the affect on BB height. Bike like the Honzo and Stache are built around a long fork and intended to have a lot of BB drop for stability. If you put a significantly shorter fork on it, it could set the BB dangerously low.
    Bike/frames that could me to mind, but are all very different:
    Karate Monkey - great all-around geo, frame only if you want SS or you can buy the rigid complete and put a SS cog on it and sell the shifty bits.
    Kona Unit- a bit longer than the KM. I think the SS version comes with B+ tires and wide rims
    Marin Pine Mountain- steel and not SS specific, but if you can tolerate a tensioner it could work.
    Then you obviously haven't ridden Pisgah. Yes I've taken my 16lb sworks epic ht SS down Bennet and black, once. That's the max for that.

Lots of places have bumps, lots of places have DH with speed, but not a lot of places have wet roots and rocks and DH speed. So I'm going to lose the front end and smash this bike off the ground a few times, would you want to do that on a rdo with rdo fork, or some 6lb tank frame? So it's very specific to this region and the combination of rigid and SS. I'll probably want a heavy frame with dropper routing that can still have effective geo with a rigid fork.

mtbr member
    I see what you mean. I was thinking in terms of ride charateristics based on geometry, but you're looking for a stout bike that will take a lot of abuse, is that correct? The region specificity threw us off if that is the case because this is an international forum of people, most of whom have not been to Pisgah either.

This place is tough on bikes so need something with no moving parts.
    That's all you needed to say.

If you want a rigid bike, go for it. It could be argued, however, that suspension would be more durable in the long run because suspension allows the bike to give and move with the terrain rather than just rattle the welds to death. That's more maintenance and fussy stuff that I don't want to fool with either though. 29+ tires on a rigid bike male a lot of sense for this application.

Prophesy males a stout aluminum hardtail but I i don't know how it would handle with a rigid fork.

The Nimble 9 is beefy, has a high BB and a slack HTA that could convert nicely with a rigid fork.

Can't go wrong with a Karate Monkey, which is why I just bought one.

mtbr member
    Since no one is asking this far into the thread, ill just ask... what the hell would ever make you want to ride Bennett Gap or the like on a rigid bike? I took a trip out there with my Yeti SB5, my buddy had his Niner HT with a 140 fork set up single speed. We are about dead equal in terms of riding skills and he couldn't keep up with me to save his life, that's with a 140 fork.

Im not saying you cant ride Black Mountain on a rigid bike, but why? Im a die hard single speeder but that sounds like literally no fun.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSteven View Post
    Since no one is asking this far into the thread, ill just ask... what the hell would ever make you want to ride Bennett Gap or the like on a rigid bike? I took a trip out there with my Yeti SB5, my buddy had his Niner HT with a 140 fork set up single speed. We are about dead equal in terms of riding skills and he couldn't keep up with me to save his life, that's with a 140 fork.

Im not saying you cant ride Black Mountain on a rigid bike, but why? Im a die hard single speeder but that sounds like literally no fun.
    Your buddy isnt Cole Trickle obviously!

I would say putting the 140 fork was counterproductive for him. Steeper hta is faster DH, ALWAYS. Its a matter if you can handle it though. He obviously was scared and needed a 140mm diaper up front just i case he pooped his pants

I live in Brevard, those are the local trails, and i have other bikes to go fast DH Sometimes its better to go slow, to see new lines you didnt see gapping and boosting everything on a bro bike. Plus i am climbing up them and will be gassed anyways at the top, so a casual ride to the bottom, or a suicide mission, wont cost me my race bike frame.

I have to ride in all weather and conditions too. So horses for courses. Ride it hard put it away wet and muddy. Crash it, throw it, carry it, sweat and bleed on it. Its a tool.

mtbr member
    Steeper hta is faster DH, ALWAYS.
    I think you may have just lost all credibility to anything you've said on this site... I'm all ears though.

Nov 2015
    I think you may have just lost all credibility to anything you've said on this site... I'm all ears though.
    Why because basic science is fakenews now?

There are many factors in DH speed. Lets keep it simple, the steeper the hta, the faster it will pick up speed DH. Fact. Thats "on paper". Its just a lot EASIER to carry MORE speed with a slacker hta cause it gives you more reaction time. Not everyone can be a fighter pilot. Hence slack hta, lots of travel, shorter stems and wider bars to SPEED up the steering to make it feel FASTER like it was before you slacked it, raised it, shortend it, etc.

Come on man. You can use deductive reasoning on this too. Why are dh bikes more slack? So they dont pick up speed so fast you cant be in control. Basic science

On the trail is not on paper though. Except some people want faster steering and climbing so they ride xc bikes on enduro trails. Cause riding bikes is easy, we just make it hard.

Up In Smoke
    LMAO, looking forward to see where this goes....

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    LMAO, looking forward to see where this goes....
    DH fast. How fast? Depends on HTA and the size of your balls.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    RSD makes (or will be making soon) a boost, AL 510AC fork.
    https://rsdbikes.com/product/510mm-aluminum-fork/

I know, I know... it's AL.

WNC Native

Bennett and Black can be fun on a rigid bike, maybe not at warp speed but they definitely can be fun on rigid.

I was eyeing up a salsa woodsmoke too
    Run away from the Woodsmoke, fast!

mtbr member
    Why because basic science is fakenews now?

There are many factors in DH speed. Lets keep it simple, the steeper the hta, the faster it will pick up speed DH. Fact. Thats "on paper". Its just a lot EASIER to carry MORE speed with a slacker hta cause it gives you more reaction time. Not everyone can be a fighter pilot. Hence slack hta, lots of travel, shorter stems and wider bars to SPEED up the steering to make it feel FASTER like it was before you slacked it, raised it, shortend it, etc.

Come on man. You can use deductive reasoning on this too. Why are dh bikes more slack? So they dont pick up speed so fast you cant be in control. Basic science

On the trail is not on paper though. Except some people want faster steering and climbing so they ride xc bikes on enduro trails. Cause riding bikes is easy, we just make it hard.
    So your answer to me asking a simple question of why you want to ride a rigid bike in Pisgah, is that "steep hta is faster DH"... when I ask you to clarify you say that steep hta being faster is "on paper" and act like I know nothing about science...

So you're building a rigid SS to ride DH trails, even though its not faster but is faster on paper... and I don't know anything about science. Got it.

A simple "I just think riding rigid SS in Pisgah would be fun and challenging" would have sufficed as an answer. Instead you went the mentally unstable internet troll route.

Cool.

Nov 2015
    So your answer to me asking a simple question of why you want to ride a rigid bike in Pisgah, is that "steep hta is faster DH"... when I ask you to clarify you say that steep hta being faster is "on paper" and act like I know nothing about science...

So you're building a rigid SS to ride DH trails, even though its not faster but is faster on paper... and I don't know anything about science. Got it.

A simple "I just think riding rigid SS in Pisgah would be fun and challenging" would have sufficed as an answer. Instead you went the mentally unstable internet troll route.

Cool.
    You still havent got what I'm saying.

Some people can ride a steep hta on DH trails just fine. Some need a slacker one.

These are not DH trails in any way shape or form.

I used "on paper" to explain your theory, not mine. My theory is in reality. Point an xc bike downhill and you'll see how fast it picks up speed. Now, can you handle that speed? Sounds like your friend couldn't so he put a 140 fork on an XC bike to make it slower DH "on paper", even though "in reality" you can probably go faster with 140. Don't tell me that something steeper doesn't induce gravity faster though lol. You're confusing bikes geometry with actual geometry.

I'm also building this bike to climb these trails, it's a training bike, one tool, of many. I'm not building a rigid ss DH bike like your mind is telling you. I'm building a bike that can..

Handle daily use in Pisgah
    Can take a rigid fork
    Can tension a chain for SS
    Run a dropper

Now don't start yapping about how I'm an internet troll when you can't even comprehend what I'm saying. I can ride a rigid SS downhill faster than you can ride a DH bike downhill cause I got balls and skill and you have fear and excuses. Now back to figuring out what tool for the job.

Nov 2015
    Bennett and Black can be fun on a rigid bike, maybe not at warp speed but they definitely can be fun on rigid.

Run away from the Woodsmoke, fast!
    Thank you, at no point did I say fast. I said climb to the top, make it to the bottom safely.

WNC Native
    Thank you, at no point did I say fast. I said climb to the top, make it to the bottom safely.
    Yeah that part of the comment wasn't directed at you.

since 4/10/2009
    just wow.

I think LDC and dragracer88 should hang out

Nov 2015
    Yeah that part of the comment wasn't directed at you.
    I was saying thank you, as in thank you for having some reason here and understanding what I'm after.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    just wow.

I think LDC and dragracer88 should hang out
    He only has a few hours cause after that LDC is DED. In his place will rise a humble and kind champion.

since 4/10/2009
    I was saying thank you, as in thank you for having some reason here and understanding what I'm after.
    some tact might convey what you're after much better, without all the extra....whatever.

Nov 2015
    some tact might convey what you're after much better, without all the extra....whatever.
    It was all good till the stupid question right?..

Why do you want a rigid SS for Pisgah?

since 4/10/2009
    It was all good till the stupid question right?..

Why do you want a rigid SS for Pisgah?
    it's not a stupid question. it's a legit question that would serve to clarify your goals if you answered it respectfully.

your response to it was ridiculously over the top and created unnecessary conflict. does every discussion need to be a dick-measuring contest with you?

I see people riding damn near everything out here. I don't think anybody needed your speal about how rough Pisgah is on bikes. Seriously, just about anything will actually work. It's really not THAT unique of a place. But what will work best for you depends on your specific reasons for wanting to own the bike. THAT is more relevant information than all that BS about downhill speeds and how hard Pisgah is on bikes and whatever.

mtbr member
    it's not a stupid question. it's a legit question that would serve to clarify your goals if you answered it respectfully.

your response to it was ridiculously over the top and created unnecessary conflict. does every discussion need to be a dick-measuring contest with you?

I see people riding damn near everything out here. I don't think anybody needed your speal about how rough Pisgah is on bikes. Seriously, just about anything will actually work. It's really not THAT unique of a place. But what will work best for you depends on your specific reasons for wanting to own the bike. THAT is more relevant information than all that BS about downhill speeds and how hard Pisgah is on bikes and whatever.
    Hes got quite the reputation over in the endurance racing forum too. I should have known better than to comment on one of his threads.

mtbr member
    Dude, you're all over the place! I have no clue why you think a bike with a steeper HTA will pick up speed faster going down hill, that's totally false. That would defy the laws of physics!

So do you want a bike with a steep or slack HTA? What else are you looking for geometry wise? ultra short chainstays? Long and low? Steep or slack STA?

Sounds like you want something durable, so steel or aluminum makes sense. For what you describe, I think Plus or chubby tires would make a lot of sense, anywhere from 2.6 up to 3.0 would take the edge off and allow you to travel safer at a slightly higher speed than skinny tires. Also, how tall are you? If smaller than 5'9" or so, maybe consider 27+, if taller, look for 29+. And if you want durable, stay away from carbon forks. You'l have to do some research on the longest metal forks available, or give Waltworks a call, he'll make whatever you want in steel.

Nov 2015
    Hes got quite the reputation over in the endurance racing forum too. I should have known better than to comment on one of his threads.
    You mean make a silly comment not a legit one, then you started saying how you dropped your buddy on his niner. I'm not your buddy, obviously.

Nov 2015
    I thought riding a rigid SS would be a good idea to keep the wear off my expensive parts and suspension and be a good workout and a good time. I'm over 6'1 so I can sometimes get an XL frame which will have a taller headtube which with the rigid fork should give that slight increase in bar height I want from my pure xc height. I don't care what hta it is truly I just know there are only so many options. I don't like plus tires they are too heavy. I can ride 2.1s just fine.

mtbr member
    You mean make a silly comment not a legit one, then you started saying how you dropped your buddy on his niner. I'm not your buddy, obviously.
    I didnt say I dropped him, I said he was struggling to keep up on a hard tail. You've admitted in this thread that you're not trying to go fast, so you're basically agreeing with me. Im sure in your head you think you're super smart and "tOtaLlY PwNiNg" people online, but the rest of us are just trying to chat bikes.

mtbr member
    I thought I would be helpful in this thread but it suddenly turned stupid. Good for you, you have massive balls and can name-drop trails.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I thought I would be helpful in this thread but it suddenly turned stupid. Good for you, you have massive balls and can name-drop trails.
    Make no mistake man, you were helpful, and I appreciate it. There's a ton of good info related to what I asked and I have like 15 bikes I've never even heard of to look at. That was the point, some non obvious bikes. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Get a Spot Rocker.

853 buttery steel. Nice Geo. Built around a 120 fork. Get a rigid segmented fork and call it a day.

I rode a Spot for a season. Mostly SS, 120 Fox 34, and a dropper. Was a truly fun bike.

I know I guy selling a Rocker frame (size L) custom powdercoated metallic brown.
    Hightower
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Surly Wednesday
    RSD Catalyst all road bike
    On One fixed
    1999 Chameleon SS

Go faster!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Coconino.

Rod
    mtbr member
    You're over thinking this. Get a Surly of some type. The Krampus if you want 3.0, it's designed for it, or the Karate monkey, which can still take a 3.0, but I'm not sure how much clearance you would have in the rear with a 3.0 with the pisgah mud. Not interested in a rear 3.0 then the monkey is the one to buy.

Save money and go ride. If it breaks the frame is 500 bucks. Good luck trying to break it.

mtbr member
    Reeb and Vassago have some nice options as well. Check the used market for a used Transition Trans AM or Niner ROS 9+.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by redwarrior View Post
    Pretty sure Trek has a carbon rigid fork available for the Stache, the use it on the aluminum frame bikepacking model. I think you can find info about it in the plus bike sub forum.
    495 A-C but no Boost option:

https://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en_CA/e...-fork/p/12931/

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    No, that's not the one he's talking about.

The fork that comes standard on the Trek 1120 can be purchased separately, although I can't find it on the website. It uses Boost 110 spacing and has an A-C distance or 510mm I think. Also has mounts for everything cages as well as the proprietary rack that mounts to that bike.

More info here: https://forums.mtbr.com/trek/1120-ad...e-1088170.html

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    No, that's not the one he's talking about.

The fork that comes standard on the Trek 1120 can be purchased separately, although I can't find it on the website. It uses Boost 110 spacing and has an A-C distance or 510mm I think. Also has mounts for everything cages as well as the proprietary rack that mounts to that bike.

More info here: https://forums.mtbr.com/trek/1120-ad...e-1088170.html
    Doh, I member now. I wrote that fork off when I saw the warts.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    Doh, I member now. I wrote that fork off when I saw the warts.
    I like warts!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    Dude, you're all over the place! I have no clue why you think a bike with a steeper HTA will pick up speed faster going down hill, that's totally false. That would defy the laws of physics!
    How fast downhill do you want to go? Here is the new downhill rig. 90 degree head angle and a seat with cutouts so you don't sit on your huge balls on the way down. I heard Gwin is on something similar this year.

Up In Smoke
    Red white and blue! Sign me up.

Aaron Gwin sold a lot of yt's

since 4/10/2009
    Looks fast.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Downcountry AF
    Looks fast.
    According to some it just takes big ballz to descend fast on a bike with no suspension and a steep HTA. I say lets get some video proving this theory, the bike pictured seems like a perfect experimental vehicle.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    "I live in Brevard"

Did you move? I thought you lived in Michigan?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teamplayr View Post
    "I live in Brevard"

Did you move? I thought you lived in Michigan?
    Its easy to move when you literally live in a van.

Nov 2015
    Its easy to move when you literally live in a van.
    If you want to be my PR guy you should send me your resume and let me hire you, it's not a volunteer position.

mtbr member
    we ride there often, [almost] always on singles, and a few guys on rigids.

i personally think the best setup is hardtail ss with a 100/120 squish if they were my hometown trails., but rigid I would probly go with a steel frame and something that wont kill you in the wallet when it cracks. carbon or ti is so spendy. ive rode my sir9, ros9, spot rocker, pivot les and last trip brought 2 bikes my spot ss and a fs bike to see the difference. i prefer my hardtail ss anyday there, just as fast and more thrill. the fs bike took all the pucker factor out of it for me. still super fun as always but never felt like i was on the edge like a hardtail does.

i guess something like the spot, canfield, ros 9 etc. steel frames with ability to run a big fork [if you ever wanted to] and can handle the abuse. not sure what rigid fork to suggest