Best Rigid Forks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Best Rigid Forks

Looking to get a rigid steel fork for my 29 ss. Most of the riding in NEPA is rocky and technical, so I've kind of been swayed away from carbon forks. In addition, I'm looking to save some $$. A quality steel fork with some flex seems ideal!

Any suggestions!? Thanks!

Apr 2007
    How much you looking to spend? Vicious, Walt, Niner are all nice. Niner is cheapest.

That said, carbon forks aren't that whimpy. I wouldn't hesitate riding one here in the Rockies.

hispanic mechanic
    I like the Salsa, pretty well thought out fork- forward facing, stainless drops are a good thing. However, if you can afford it, I'd still take a serious look at the Niner carbon. Not exactly cheap, but in comparison to some of the high end suspension...

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    Waltworks. You can thank me later.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    And the number one goes to Voodoo Zombie 500.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Nice! Thanks, I'll def. start checking some of these out!

Kicker of Elves
    Anyone used a Kona P2? I have one on my, get this, Kona Unit but don't have experience with anything else to compare it to.

Kosher Princess

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by dixie whiskey
    Waltworks. You can thank me later.
    I Waltworks, long time.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I don't think there is a magic cure. You're looking for a rigid fork. It'll feel rigid.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    How much you looking to spend? Vicious, Walt, Niner are all nice. Niner is cheapest.

That said, carbon forks aren't that whimpy. I wouldn't hesitate riding one here in the Rockies.
    vicious? they're still in business? if they are they have to be the most difficult company ever to get hold of.

surly inbred
    I've not found one I like better than my Salsa, but keep in mind I won't pony up for carbon.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum
    I've not found one I like better than my Salsa, but keep in mind I won't pony up for carbon.
    I have the 26" Salsa Cromoto. When I first got it I would just stare at the welds in disbelief they were so nice (admittedly to my untrained eye). It was a great riding fork (frame I was using it with broke).

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by Apaulo88
    Looking to get a rigid steel fork for my 29 ss. Most of the riding in NEPA is rocky and technical, so I've kind of been swayed away from carbon forks. In addition, I'm looking to save some $$. A quality steel fork with some flex seems ideal!

Any suggestions!? Thanks!
    If trying to save some cash and still get a nice rigid fork, my first choice would be a Salsa. If I had the extra cash, another vote for Waltworks.

WNC Native
    I'd get the Salsa or the Vassago Odis.

I've put time on the Zion, Redline MC, Soul Cycles, On One Superlight Steel, and Vassago steel fork. The Vassago was the best out of those. I haven't ridden the Salsa but I know several that love it.
    If considering Carbon, look at the On One Superlight Carbon.

My next one will be the Salsa Enabler.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    I thought about the Salsa also but the weight and price didn’t seem worth the effort in comparison to Walt’s which will be considerably lighter (depending on your weight) and custom configured to your riding style. I was initially thinking of a carbon fork, believe it or not my Walt fork is not much heavier than the White Brothers carbon fork.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by dixie whiskey
    I thought about the Salsa also but the weight and price didn’t seem worth the effort in comparison to Walt’s which will be considerably lighter (depending on your weight) and custom configured to your riding style. I was initially thinking of a carbon fork, believe it or not my Walt fork is not much heavier than the White Brothers carbon fork.
    How is the Walt for brake shudder? That was one thing that I noticed improved when I put an eXotic carbon fork on my KM, was the brake shudder was greatly reduced, and that's what, 1200g? I would imagine it is difficult to engineer a steel fork @ 800-900g (my eXotic weighs like 820g), that is stiff enough in the 29'er length (I'm <140 lbs BTW).
    Just curious.

mtbr member
    No brake shudder, I have never experienced that before so don't know if I can comment much either way. I run Formula K24s so it's teh most precise setup I ever ran.

As for weightage, I am pretty sure when I calculated it is in the mid 900ish range. I run 650b on mine and modeled it off the base Bianchi fork (which fits 29).

Dirty South Underdog
    I have the Niner Carbon fork, and it's a tough. Granted, I'm not huge, and I don't get off the ground for more than a foot at a time, but I do ride lots of rocky, nasty trail, and refuse to "baby" it just because it's carbon.

Sample rocks- the "Stairway to Heaven" (fun to ride down):

Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    I was lucky enough to pick up a Soul Cycles Hooligan fork for $9 on clearance. I'm a big rider, rough rider too. Lots of jumps, drops, and wheelies on top of the regular riding, and I love this fork. I just suggest that the OP shop around and do his research.

mtbr member
    Yo, Squatch, I love that bike. Looks like it's meant to be ridden.

Kosher Princess

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    How is the Walt for brake shudder?
    I have three Walt built forks. I only experience shudder with my taper leg version, and that's when I'm asking too much of a super light XC fork. My straight legged versions are noticeably stiffer and capable of serious AM abuses if one was so daring.

Most of Waltworks stuff is built for heavy hitters, just mind the taper legged versions. I don't imagine they're designed to withstand SS Clydes bombing anything but untorrential singletrack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad
    Yo, Squatch, I love that bike. Looks like it's meant to be ridden.
    I love it too, it takes a lot of abuse. I'm just very thankful that I was able to find a frame that's my size at a price I could handle to make this build possible. 22" and cost me nothin I did spend $75 on powdercoat though

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    $75 powdercoat? where at?
    crap! i gotta learn to climb. - 2011

Climbing ain't so bad. - 2019

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmfat
    $75 powdercoat? where at?
    Spitfire Custom Coaters newly located to Loveland Ohio. Special order copper vein PC and it's just one coat. I decided to skip clearcoat and I'm glad I did because it is strong as hell as is. $75 is a great deal. He is in the process of downsizing and moving so he should be back up soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 120
    Anyone used a Kona P2? I have one on my, get this, Kona Unit but don't have experience with anything else to compare it to.
    I own a Kona Unit, and have replaced the P2 fork with an Origin 8 carbon fork. The carbon fork reduced the weight of the front end by 400g which is nice and makes clearing logs/rocks a fraction easier, it also reduced small trail chatter and feels much nicer cruising down a fire road etc, BUT the carbon fork is still rigid and you'll never get away from that.
    I'm in no hurry to put the P2 back on if that helps!!

Kicker of Elves
    Quote Originally Posted by nath8
    I own a Kona Unit, and have replaced the P2 fork with an Origin 8 carbon fork. The carbon fork reduced the weight of the front end by 400g which is nice and makes clearing logs/rocks a fraction easier, it also reduced small trail chatter and feels much nicer cruising down a fire road etc, BUT the carbon fork is still rigid and you'll never get away from that.
    I'm in no hurry to put the P2 back on if that helps!!
    Thanks for the input! I'll likely swap it out someday...

mtbr member
    I've got the Niner Carbon fork and love it, that's where my vote goes!

Members who have read this thread: 2