best reasonably priced rear SS hub- Mtbr.com
    the half breed devil

best reasonably priced rear SS hub

i am considering having tubeless wheels built for my ageing rigid karate monkey.

my LBS suggested i build around my existing surly hubs, but i don't want to use my existing surly hubs because they are on another single speed i don't ride, and i don't want to use a bolt-on rear wheel. the hubs i'm currently running are from an '07 KHS solo one which has been ridden a fair amount over the years but not on anything ultra-gnarly.

i'm 5'10 and a pot-bellied 190 and will be using the bike mostly for short medium rides on moderate trails (mostly widely space roots and a few rocks) with no sustained climbs and maybe two or three rides a year which would involve long, hateful road and fire road ascents.

mind you, i'll be riding my geared trail bike four or five times for every time i ride the SS.

currently, my wheels are sun rhino something or the other rim brake rims laced to whatever generic hubs KHS used on the solo one. i asked the LBS to convert these wheels to tubeless but for whatever reason they declined, and i implicitly trust the owner's judgement. he's suggested building tubeless wheels around these hubs, the reason being a 135mm rear single-speed specific hub might be a bit costly.

now i'm thinking about going ahead and having him lace a new tubeless rim to the generic front hub and building an entirely new tubeless wheel around a single-speed specific hub in the $200 range if one can be found.

i see the hope pro 4 SS hub can be had for under $300 but a conversion kit is needed for 10x135QR .

i also see this velocity 10x135 hub for a very reasonable price, but i don't know anything about them or if my LBS can source it:

https://www.bikemania.biz/velocity-a...-rear-hub.html

admittedly, i'm not extremely knowledgeable in the realm of single-speed wheels and hubs, so any insights pointing me in the right direction you can give me are appreciated.

so to recap, i want to lace a new rim and spokes around my current generic front hub and new rims and spokes around either my generic (10x135) rear hub or a new one--on a single speed i don't ride often, but often enough to want tubeless wheels.

mtbr member
    Just buy this and a set of the end caps you want, great price for the Hope hub:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hope-Pro-4-...gAAOSwVVBeqIFr

mtbr member
    I would just use a Hope SS hub or a Surly hub with a White Industries trials freewheel. there are not as many SS options for boost frames if you want to actually make use of wider hubs and tires, so you're kind of lucky in that you can use a SS 135 hub.

The Paul WORD hub and White ENO (not the eccentric one, you don't need that) are also excellent options. you can probably find those used and maybe pop some new bearings in them. I have a ENO hub that I purchased used with a 16t freewheel for $100 for my cyclocross bike.

Always in the wrong gear
    A Hope Pro4 SS/T hub is tough to beat honestly when considering price, serviceability, and performance. 88 PoE is nothing to sneeze at, which is double the engagement of the 'regular' version.

Excluding the unlikely possibility of scoring something like a used King SS hub laced to an old 26" wheel (occasionally seen on PB classifieds, or eBay), a Hope is a good choice, I don't regret the purchase of mine.
    Shiftin' jumps and huckin' gears

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Impetus View Post
    A Hope Pro4 SS/T hub is tough to beat honestly when considering price, serviceability, and performance. 88 PoE is nothing to sneeze at, which is double the engagement of the 'regular' version.

Excluding the unlikely possibility of scoring something like a used King SS hub laced to an old 26" wheel (occasionally seen on PB classifieds, or eBay), a Hope is a good choice, I don't regret the purchase of mine.
    I have been out of cycling for a few years, but just logged back in to catch up a bit.

However unlikely I have a set of Chris King Hubs laced with DT double butted spokes to Mavic 819 rims brand new and never ridden. Hubs are the CK pewter color. I'd sell them for $500 for everything. PM / Email if interested.

the half breed devil
    update:

my LBS is building WTB i-29's around my current front hub and the hope pro 4 singlespeed hub.

thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    update:

my LBS is building WTB i-29's around my current front hub and the hope pro 4 singlespeed hub.

thanks for the input!
    Good choice, I have the Hope Pro4 SS/Trials hub paired with WTB Asym35 rims.
    Seven Sola fully rigid MTN SS
    #1⚙️All year
    Seven Evergreen gravel grinder
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Hope Pro4 SS/Trials hub rear with Hope Pro4 front

The Hope Pro4 SS/Trials hub is a great choice. Mine has been going strong for about 2 years with constant abuse of grinding up my local trails 2-3x a week with lots of water crossing. I havenít serviced them yet but they have been perfect so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails best reasonably priced rear SS hub-7cf27661-0644-4249-9384-6c05e1d13d37.jpg  

#1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

the half breed devil
    the monkey definitely rolls faster with new wheels. i was running thirteen year old rhynos designed for rim brakes. that's a lovely titanium bicycle, BTW.

best reasonably priced rear SS hub-img_7171.jpg

best reasonably priced rear SS hub-img_7173.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Awesome! Thanks for posting up a pic of your SS rig, yep it was time for a new wheel set. You wonít be disappointed with your Hope hubs.
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    240s single speed is good

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ReturnOfTheMTB View Post
    240s single speed is good
    can you get those in 148mm rear spacing?