Best overall SS rear hub ? ? ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best overall SS rear hub ? ? ?

What is the best overall SS rear hub? I would like to find something that is durable and light. I am interested in the DT Swiss 240 bolt-on and the Hope Pro II bolt-on hubs.

Also, has anyone tried the new Stan's 355 wheels yet? Any good?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by single speed kid
    What is the best overall SS rear hub?
    There is no answer for this question. I have been very happy with my Hope Pro II SS hub but that does not mean it is the best overall. You won't go wrong with the HPII and that is all I can tell you with certainty. I have no experience with the DT 240 Singlespeed hub but I have the 240's on my road bike and think they are a great product. I would look at pricing, I think you will save a pretty penny with the Hope hubs over the DT's and if it were me that would guide my decision between these two excellent hubs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hope has a great mix of cost, bling, and engagement. The one negative is it is pretty loud, but I actually like it, makes it so people can hear me around the trail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    DT Swiss 240 is what I'm going to go with. Light, strong, expensive. Perfect. I'll probably get the engagement upgrade as well.

mtbr member
    hope pro II SS and replace the stock 6mm allen bolts with some 15mm hex bolts from your local hardware store.

Monocog Masher
    What about Chris King ISO? Where does that fit into the mix?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Merost
    What about Chris King ISO? Where does that fit into the mix?
    Heavy.

mtbr member
    A Phil Wood Kiss Off, White Industries or Paul Word hub with a White Industries free wheel would be my choice.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

jk
    mtbr member

Heavy???

Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Heavy.
    Hope's website states 361g for their 135mm ss disc hub while King's website states 374g for hub, lockring, funbolts, and spacers...

Don't get me wrong; Hope makes a nice hub and for the price and engagement its great, but in my experience (20+ years mtb'ing + the group I ride with collectively has close to, if not over 100+ years, including 15+ years of racing) King rules.

As an added bonus you can own a QUALITY product built in the USA. Not too often you can say you own something built here and is actually built well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jk
    Hope's website states 361g for their 135mm ss disc hub while King's website states 374g for hub, lockring, funbolts, and spacers...

Don't get me wrong; Hope makes a nice hub and for the price and engagement its great, but in my experience (20+ years mtb'ing + the group I ride with collectively has close to, if not over 100+ years, including 15+ years of racing) King rules.

As an added bonus you can own a QUALITY product built in the USA. Not too often you can say you own something built here and is actually built well.
    I have dealt with King customer service on at least three separate occasions and each time they went so far and above what was fair that I felt guilty. They treat customers like Kings.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have a DT 240 with the 36 step upgrade, and the 10mm RWS setup. I am very happy with this hub.

I'm gonna have to kill ya
    Overall I would say Hope Pro2 as it is priced keenly looks good, reasonable weight with very good engagement.

As has been said the supplied bolts are a bit weak but I switched to QR (tool-less upgrade costing 12)

It is a bit noisy but not anymore than my CK 9 speed just a different pitch

The DT240 is a lighter option but costs more and lacks the bling

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    dt swiss 240
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Phil-wood, White Ind., Chris King... All good all the time!!! those are my top three, King being my first choice. King best bang for my buck and rebuildable, great warranty, and customer service!! Three thumbs up!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    bulls eye

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renovatio
    Hope has a great mix of cost, bling, and engagement. The one negative is it is pretty loud, but I actually like it, makes it so people can hear me around the trail.
    -How is a hub being loud a negative? I love that sound...especially when you catch air and its all you hear. When I search for new wheels I look for loud ones. I hear people talking about packing king and niner hubs with grease to quiet them down and it makes me wanna hit them and tell them they are ruining the whole point of having high end hubs!!!!!!! but in the end i guess it comes down to personal preferance. just my $.02

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    CK all the way! Again, all the choices are great, but I hope to be riding my new SS with CK hubs this week.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    wut...no love for Industry 9?....120 points of engagement...hard to beat IMO...

Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM

Personally I would go with I9, if the budget allowed

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Love my I9 hubs for my FS 29er, BUT...

Quote Originally Posted by CHUM

...spokes break too readily and contacting their customer service is difficult, IMHO. They make beautiful products, but I wonder how long they can be doing this without Chris King's customer service and reliability. That's why I went with Chris King hubs for my SS.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by S:Drive
    I have a DT 240 with the 36 step upgrade, and the 10mm RWS setup. I am very happy with this hub.
    I have to second this vote. I have King SS bolt on, Hope pro II SS bolt on, and DT swiss 240s SS with RWS. The Kings whine when freewheeling, not too loud really, engage instantly, but definitely build up into a heavier wheelset. The hopes are most certainly loud and the engagement is good. The 240s are sick light, far quieter then the other two, engage fast even though I don't have the 32 point engagement upgrade yet. I am eventually paring down to one single speed wheelset as I am switching over to 29er and selling off all my other parts. I am going to go with the 240s SS with RWS when I do. I am going to have them laced up to either the Stan's 355 or the arch rims (most likely the 355). It is going to make for a seriously light and easily serviced wheelset. I would venture a guess that the 240s are as reliable as the Kings but I am only one data point. I have yet to read a bad review on any of the three however so I am sure you can't make a mistake going with any of them.
    My one experience with DT swiss customer service was far beyond expectations in that I was straight with them in saying I bough the wheelset used and thought it was set up for the RWS when in fact it was quick release. No questions asked they sent me out free end caps to upgrade to the RWS hub. Freeeeeee. I didn't pay a dime for a 35-45 dollar upgrade even though I wasn't even the first owner. Crazy, never even heard of service like that. Oh and fitting a rotor or changing a rotor is a breeze on the DT's as they don't use 6 bolts. You either get the shimano rotors or add the adapter that holds the disc on with a lock ring. Change rotors or take them off for truing in seconds flat.

Pedal smarter, not harder
    May 2007

since you asked AGAIN

This ? seems to be popular.

Chub hub with a White freewheel

light and cheap.

onespeeding is suposed to be simple, remember?

Schipperkes are cool.
    240 bolt, adapted for the RWS thru-bolt and 36* ratchet upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

Out spokin'
    What is simpler about that option?

--Sparty

Quote Originally Posted by cbetony
    This ? seems to be popular.

Chub hub with a White freewheel

light and cheap.

onespeeding is suposed to be simple, remember?
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ever seen the insides of a King hub? No silly pawls to break! Nothing else compares - not even close. Kings are designed to last a lifetime, are lighter than most, have unsurpassed customer service, designed & built in the US, etc. They're not perfect, but almost. I do wish they would adjust the flange spacing for more evenly tensioned rear wheels & offer a centerlock version (it is a better design than ISO).
    Last edited by B R H; 11-30-2009 at 08:13 PM.

Pedal smarter, not harder
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    What is simpler about that option?

--Sparty
    I was refering to the fact that some people tend to spend a lot of time worrying about what parts to put on their bike, when most everything out there is of high quality these days; that and the fact that the Chub hub is simple (two bearings, no freehub to wear out) as is the thread on freewheel from White Industries. (although you can take it apart and rebuild it if you really feel you must). less time worrying about bikes = more time to ride them.
    That my friend is the long, not the short, of what makes it the simpler option.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i ride pauls on my SS bikes because i like to support him and i ride a white industries freehub and its as good as chris king (as in number of engagement points) but id say a chris king or I9 (i like king though) would be nice if i could afford it. im super happy with my paul word hubs thought- and theyre cheaper than freehub style SS hubs.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by B R H
    Ever seen the insides of a King hub? No silly pawls to break! Nothing else compares - not even close. Kings are designed to last a lifetime, are lighter than most, have unsurpassed customer service, designed & built in the US, etc. They're not perfect, but almost. I do wish they would adjust the flange spacing for more evenly tensioned rear wheels & offer a centerlock version (it is a better design than ISO).
    no pawls in the 240s either if I'm not mistaken. And by lighter then most, what exactly do you mean? They are heavier then every hub mentioned in this thread. Sounds like your desires of equal flange spacing and centerlock make you a DT 240s fan as well since that is precisely what they offer.

Members who have read this thread: 0