Best light SS Chain- Mtbr.com
    Ahhh the pain....

Best light SS Chain

Man, I know this topic has been beat to death, but folks like KMC keep coming out with new chain types that are a little lighter and pretty cheap.
    OK, so here's the question, best lightweight chain for the $... if it's more than $20, don't post it. If it's a SRAM chain, don't post it... I love cheap and reliable and have been running KMC 8.93 chains for years and love them. Amazon has them for under $8 a piece! But if someone has found another KMC chain that rocks for under $20 and a bit lighter, I could be swayed...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    How bout smaller sized cog and ring so you can run fewer links? Less weight on all three components

mtbr member
    I know this is not what you want to hear, but your chain is a foolish place to try to save weight. just keep using the KMC 8.93 chains you like.

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I know this is not what you want to hear, but your chain is a foolish place to try to save weight. just keep using the KMC 8.93 chains you like.
    second that. always remember keith's sage advice: light, strong, cheap... pick two.

that being said, Sram's PC-1 will always be the only singlespeed chain for me... I'll let you guess which two of the three aforementioned descriptors I think best describe this chain.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    Ha. I like how single speed = simple = cheap on most people's minds.

I won't use anything else besides a Sram Eagle 12 speed chain. And it has to be gold.

I guess I'm not in the same camp as most SS'ers.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    The words 'light' and 'chain' should not be used together when talking about a singlespeed bike. Saving a couple of grams? Stick with what's working for you.

I've settled on older SRAM 8 speed chains, PC58 and PC68. I picked up a box of them super cheap when they were discontinued many years ago and have enough for the rest of my cycling life. They've been the most reliable and longest lasting for me. I tried a PC1 at one point, it stretched super fast and made lots of weird pinging noises. I went back to the 8 speed chains and made some Christmas ornaments out of the PC1...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ive tried a lot. I like the KMC X10L. It isn't under 20 dollars though

Rod
    mtbr member
    Light, chain, and single speed... nothing can go wrong with that combination.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    i'd like to find a good one in Yellow if possible .. Gold would work tho too

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I really like my KMC Z610HX, reasonable price, nickel plated so it'll look cool for a while, and durable.

mtbr member
    How often do you replace your chains, and how do you know when it's time?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Chain checker. I check mine every month or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by babybabe View Post
    Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by babybabe View Post
    https://www.parktool.com/product/cha...category=Chain

When the chain checker goes on at .75 its time for a new chain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i am gonna agree with everyone about not using a "light" chain but i weigh 225 so if your a hundred less or so feel free to ignore me...

i also like the kmc chains but think maybe the shimano are SLIGHTLY better? i have had really good luck with these:
    https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...oaAj2QEALw_wcB

under 20 bucks; no clue how light; but shimano has some of the longest wearing metal parts i have used and i think the chains are right up there with everything else.

the SRAM chins are very stretchy IMHO unless you get the nicer ones which are still not better than the shimano or kmc basic chains. I wouldn't use a PC-1 if you gave me it free; worst chain EVAR.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Funny, I've had pretty good luck with SRAM chains. I'll run whatever speed in a 50 level (850 or 1051) and usually go through around two per year. I usually swap them about the time that the factory lube is completely gone. I'll supplement with some Tenacious oil, but once it starts to get really dry and gritty it's about time to change it anyway in my experience.

How about free?

I've always used the chains from my geary. Once they get a little worn on the geared bike, they are ready for the SS. I know that will horrify some folks, but I've probably broken one chain on my SS in 15 years. And that's with doing a ton of miles.

A friend of mine has run a chain until the rollers started falling off the links. You can get away with alot on an SS.