Best, light rear hub?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best, light rear hub?

I'd like to build up a light rear SS wheel for a Fisher Ferrous. I've used a few American Classics for geared bikes. But I don't know anything about the SS version and I absolutely hate creaking. And my AC's creak under big loads. They would be great for a light weight build. I'm using a Stan's ZTR 29er rim. I'd love a White Industries hub. But the extra weight of the freewheel puts me off. Anyone have any good luck with the AC's? I'd prefer a cassette style hub for the weight savings.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I went with the DT 240 SS when I built The Wheels of DOOM!

mtbr member
    King

Tripolar on most days
    Not to say that the DT 240 is a bad hub but I had one a few years ago and blew the bearings out at least 4 time over the course of 1.5 years. I rebuilt it a couple of times and I sent it back to DT 1 time and they blew out again. I am not a big masher, well most of the time. I weigh 180 lbs and the hub was on a 26 wheel 34x16 gears sometimes 34x17. On the other hand I think that King puts out some of the best components out there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erdownunder
    I'd like to build up a light rear SS wheel for a Fisher Ferrous. I've used a few American Classics for geared bikes. But I don't know anything about the SS version and I absolutely hate creaking. And my AC's creak under big loads. They would be great for a light weight build. I'm using a Stan's ZTR 29er rim. I'd love a White Industries hub. But the extra weight of the freewheel puts me off. Anyone have any good luck with the AC's? I'd prefer a cassette style hub for the weight savings.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.
    I'm not sure that there is much of difference weight-wise between a high-quality freewheel hub/freewheel combo like the White Ind set-up and a high quality cassette-style freehub and cog. The weight is just in a different place. Most of the weight is in the hub with a cassette hub and most of the weight is in the freewheel with a threaded hub.

That said, I prefer cassette hubs for relative ease of changing ratios. I've got a Hope Pro II trials/SS hub that I'm happy with. It's not the lightest SS hub in the world, but it's also not the most expensive.

Members who have read this thread: 0