BEST HUB and Cassette- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

BEST HUB and Cassette

I ride a Juan Solo with Surly Hub. My front hub seems to have great bearing and fluid movement but my back wheel is not spinning that well.

Is that the Hub or the actually bearing in the cassette. A mecanic told me that the actually 20t casette that I have might be the only problem.Is their also different quality in the gear that I have in the back beside the actual Hub?

I am basically looking for the best possible Hub and casette bearing in the back that money can buy. I am working hard enough as is I need good component

mtbr member
    cassette or freewheel?

mtbr member

What kind of "cassette?"

Singlespeed "cassettes" are generally called freewheels. At least the type that go on a Surly hub. Presuming you have a Shimano or ACS freewheel on your hub, there are nicer freewheels out there. There are also nicer hubs than the Surly hub. One thing to check on the hub is the adjustable cartridge bearings...are they adjusted properly? You can also replace the bearings if they are shot.

Here are some nicer hubs than the Surly (IMHO)
    Freewheel type
    Paul
    Phil Wood
    White Industries ENO

Cassette type
    Hadley
    Hope
    DT Swiss
    Chris King

The White Industries ENO freewheel is the cat's meow as far as freewheels (cassettes, as you call it in your original post) go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thank you for the clarification on the terminology of casette vs freewheel.

I will look into both the higher end Hub as well as the Freewheel

Thank you for your input

Dan

mtbr member
    hey dan, i run a white industries hub, and they run enduro brand seald bearings which are very smooth at first, but after a while get a smidge sluggish, but you will never notice it, i love the quality of the hub itself, i also run the White Industries Trials Freehweel (green)(72 engagment points). but you will be fine with an ACS Claws, i love those also, cheap and good, but i would never run anything shimano.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    if you put good bearings in a surly hub it should spin every bit as well as a more expensive hub.

i say, spend some money on phil wood bearings (or ceramic) and keep your hub. with all the work involved in replacing the hub you'd probably be better off to just sell the old wheel and build a new one.

and if your looking for the best freewheel no doubt, white industries.

Members who have read this thread: 0