Best gear ratio for climbing?- Mtbr.com
    banned
    Nov 2011

Best gear ratio for climbing?

I have a Scott Scale 29 that I'm looking to maybe convert into a SS. What gear ratio is recommended for a guy who spends all his saddle time on the climbs? I generally climb on the middle front chainring along with the 3rd rear cog. On very long and steep climbs I switch to first chainring and 3rd or 4th rear cog.

What would be the best ratio for my needs?

mtbr member
    What gradient are you riding? How strong are you?

You will need to figure out the best ratio for you yourself. No-one else can help you. From what you have stated, start there. If it is too easy, gear up. If too difficult, gear down.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    What gradient are you riding? How strong are you?

You will need to figure out the best ratio for you yourself. No-one else can help you. From what you have stated, start there. If it is too easy, gear up. If too difficult, gear down.
    To be honest I'm not very sure of the gradient I'm riding but it is pretty steep. I would consider myself to be an extremely strong climber. I'm definitely one of the fastest climbers in my area.

What is the regular ratio singlespeeders are riding these days?

mtbr member
    Pick one of the ones you mentioned. Give it a shot. You will learn how to climb standing very quickly.

As for ratios - they are personal, decided on by the strength of the rider, their ride style (spinner/grinder), the terrain they ride etc.

There is no standard. Everyone comes upon their ratio by trial and error.

I am guessing here (I am too lazy to google it) that your middle chainring is a 32. No idea what cassette you are running, though, so you will have to work that out.

Once you have those numbers, work out the gear inches and find some equivalent gearing that will work for you.

The 'recommended' starting point is 2:1 (so 32:16). But if you are doing lots of climbing, drop that ratio.

mtbr member
    I would start with a 32x20 but I know a climbing fool like yourself who swears by his 32x22. He will sit and spin when I am standing and grinding.
    He can and has to spin a 115 cadence on the flat to keep up.

mtbr member
    use whatever gear challenges you but leaves a little forgiveness so you can make it. for a 29er, i would start with 32/20 and go to a 22t in the rear if that's too tough, or 18t if you want something harder.

mtbr member
    +1 with 32x20 for steeps. I think having a few cogs around to choose from is good.
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

Dive Bomber
    Walking is still the best ratio for climbing.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I used to reserve 34x21 (on a 29'er) for races with over 200' of climbing per mile, but recently tried an experiment of running that ratio on my local trails which only average about 100' feet per mile. It was really fun. A little slower on the climbs, a lot slower on the fireroads and the ride to the trails, but quicker in the twisty singletrack where it let me stay seated and spin fast out of every corner.

mtbr member
    Start with your middle/3rd cog combination like others have said and work from there. What works for you will depend on your local terrain and whether you're a spinner or a grinder.
    If you need me I'll be at the bar

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Addict View Post
    I generally climb on the middle front chainring along with the 3rd rear cog.
    Wherever you go... there you are.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Best gear for climbing? 22x36. You will be able to sit and spin up anything, just dont try to go fast on the flats
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious. :D

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    I used to reserve 34x21 (on a 29'er) for races with over 200' of climbing per mile, but recently tried an experiment of running that ratio on my local trails which only average about 100' feet per mile. It was really fun. A little slower on the climbs, a lot slower on the fireroads and the ride to the trails, but quicker in the twisty singletrack where it let me stay seated and spin fast out of every corner.
    same setup here for a 26'r. Works great and the for steep stuff just stand and pedal....

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    When you get your SS, just buy a bunch of cogs. My bike came with a 32/18, and I bought 20, 17,16,15, and 14T cogs. The cheap ones are like $5.

As an example, I put the 18T on there when I'm riding XC trails, and the 15 for riding around on the streets.
    Riding on the street is easy because most of it is flat, so you choose the most comfortable ratio for you on flat pavement. On the trails, you're gonna go slower and be going up more, so you want a lower ratio.

The only way is to experiment and ride. Luckily, having a geared bike makes it easy. If your geared bike is also a 29er, you can just do direct comparisons. If it's a 26er, those have slightly lower overall ratios because of the smaller wheel.
    Go ride and stay in one gear that feels right, and that's your gear.

HOV
    mtbr member
    How you climb is pretty important too. For me, singlespeed climbing is all about standing/pulling on bars/mashing on pedals. I'm adapted to the short duration, steep stuff we have here - that approach would not be viable for climbing a mountain as found out west. I'm pretty used to riding 32/18 and that keeps my speed up pretty well on climbs, but there's no way I could climb with that gearing seated.

One thing to consider is the amount of teeth that the chain will contact. 36/18 should produce similar results as 32/16, but the larger setup will have more teeth contacing the chain, which I like. The flip side to that is a larger chainring has a greater chance of being bashed. With a 3x tooth chainring though, I don't think that's a huge factor.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I am running 33/20 and love it for climbing. I wear out the local college students who are running geared expensive bikes. Makes me happy when I power past them on climbs while they do the walk of shame.

Tommy
    2010 Motobecane Outcast 29er. SS and Rigid.
    Upgrades:
    Z Sette Post
    Z Sette Stumpy
    Azonic Strip Bar
    Surely Rear rim

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    34/18 works perfect in the hill of eastern virginia.

lurkkid
    May 2012
    I run 32x24..... Seriously. So much of Pisgah is straight up, then straight down, spinning out is the least of my concerns. There is probably about 10 miles of "contour" trail in the 400+ miles of bike access. 32x24 makes 7 miles continuous climbing doable for me. Quality time in the forest has become more important to me than speed. If I don't blow up within an hour of leaving the trail head, I'm in a position to ride all day long. And I love that.

mtbr member
    Whatever your heart can handle. It will be hurting before your legs do.
    I run 34/20 on a 29er.
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    May 2005
    33x21 on mine.

mtbr member
    What gear ratio is recommended for a guy who spends all his saddle time on the climbs? I generally climb on the middle front chainring along with the 3rd rear cog. On very long and steep climbs I switch to first chainring and 3rd or 4th rear cog.
    On a SS, you don't choose a ratio for climbing, you choose 1 ratio to ride everything. You might need to change your climbing style (stand and mash!) to make it up long steep climbs.
    Ride more!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HOV View Post
    How you climb is pretty important too. For me, singlespeed climbing is all about standing/pulling on bars/mashing on pedals. I'm adapted to the short duration, steep stuff we have here - that approach would not be viable for climbing a mountain as found out west. I'm pretty used to riding 32/18 and that keeps my speed up pretty well on climbs, but there's no way I could climb with that gearing seated.

One thing to consider is the amount of teeth that the chain will contact. 36/18 should produce similar results as 32/16, but the larger setup will have more teeth contacing the chain, which I like. The flip side to that is a larger chainring has a greater chance of being bashed. With a 3x tooth chainring though, I don't think that's a huge factor.
    Also, the larger your chainring, the finer you can change your ratio by switching cogs. Since the chain is fixed half inch pitch, the smallest increment you can change ratios is by one tooth (obviously). The larger the chainring, the less percent change there is from going up or down one tooth on the cog.

However, larger chainrings and cogs means more weight from the cogs and the extra chain needed. It does wear slightly slower, but this really isn't much of an issue with SS stuff because it's so cheap and lasts so long compared to derailleur geared stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fryed_1 View Post
    34/18 works perfect in the hill of eastern virginia.
    Ouch. My local SoCal trails have common 300+ per mile climbs. I would walk more than i ride with that ratio. Big power need only apply to turn those pedals over.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Start with a normal 32t chain ring and start anywhere from 18-21 on the rear. I'd do 32x20 to start. I run 32x21 in the winter just because it's a lil harder to pedal obviously.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    38-16

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    38-16
    Ok, now i'm calling bs. Unless you don't have hills with more than 8% grade, you are NOT spinning that gear up a hill more than 400yds. Let alone, mashing. Got a Strava segment to show you going 13mph (spinning 70rpm with a 26in tire) up a hill?

Maybe you thought this was roadbikereview.com ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    Ok, now i'm calling bs. Unless you don't have hills with more than 8% grade, you are NOT spinning that gear up a hill more than 400yds. Let alone, mashing. Got a Strava segment to show you going 13mph (spinning 70rpm with a 26in tire) up a hill?

Or he's just a badass mofo.

mtbr member
    You would have to be the father of BAMFers to sit and spin 90+ rpm at 16mph up steeps. And thats with a 26" wheel. Running a 29er, that would be around 18mph.

banned
    Jun 2007

These SS gearing threads always bring da lulz.
    Why is it that anyone who runs different gearing is automatically suspect?
    Sure call BS on the dude who only posted "38x16".
    He did not imply speed, cadence, or steep hills - you did.
    What's your point? He rides a different gear, and somehow you feel threatened.

As a masher, I stand often, and grind my way up most sections in a 32x17.
    Is it fast - no, most can crawl faster, yet I cannot spin a 32x20 on the flats to keep up to those with gears.
    Run what ya brung, have fun, and quit being one of the doubtful d-bags.

AZ
    banned
    Ride whatever gear allows you to ride 90% of the hills. Or not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    These SS gearing threads always bring da lulz.
    Why is it that anyone who runs different gearing is automatically suspect?
    Since the response with "38x16" was to the question-

What gear ratio is recommended for a guy who spends all his saddle time on the climbs? I generally climb on the middle front chainring along with the 3rd rear cog. On very long and steep climbs I switch to first chainring and 3rd or 4th rear cog.

What would be the best ratio for my needs?
    I felt it was right to assume bt was saying thats what he/she runs in those conditions. I stand by calling that one out. The OPer doesn't need responses with unreasonable gear ratios that will not suit the type of riding he is asking about.

What's your point? He rides a different gear, and somehow you feel threatened.
    I don't feel threatened at all. Often times, my climbing gear is walking. And thats with a wimpy 32x20 ratio i mash up the hill. Calling BS is not from being threatened, its from smelling BS. But, hey, you're welcome to your opinion as well. Have at it.

banned
    Nov 2011
    I specifically emphasized climbing. If he posted a ridiculous 38x16 on a thread that is specifically about climbing and gear ratios, then don't you think he's trying to make it seem like he spends his time climbing on 38x16?

I'm with jetboy on this one. I call BS on the guy who said 38x16.

But anyways as an update I have bought several different chainrings and cogs, my LBS gave them to me at an outstanding price. I haven't installed them yet but I think I will start off with 32x20 and see where it takes me from there. I'll keep the thread updated.

banned
    Jun 2007
    Okay, so perhaps I was too hasty to defend Mr. 38x16, yet I feel the OP's premise flawed.
    Too many factors make it impossible to predict the correct gearing for anyone else,
    especially for one who rides a geared bike with (most likely) a suspension.
    [Your examples of middle ring + 3 down = 32 x 26 / or first ring + 4 down = 22 x 23 appears a 3x9 setup.]
    Both of these indicate that you're either an uber spinner, or deal with r-e-a-l-l-y steep climbs.

Is it not possible that 38 x 16 is a masher, and the biggest hill is 200' vertical @ 4% grade?
    So, although his gearing may not work for you, it's perfect for him - and hence my point.

To find your own best gearing - try locking out the suspension, use the middle ring, select and hold one cog for the entire ride. Once on a dedicated SS, most are likely to run a bigger gear, as the bike will be both lighter and more efficient.
    So just go on, and ride Sally ride,

mtbr member
    42x12

Lighten up guys lol
    I'm sure 38x16 boy is sitting back with a case of the lolz
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    Btw, my first SS will be at my house Monday and I'll be starting with 32x20. I just left one of my usual training trails with the thought that I'm getting in over my head haha
    I rode a few climby sections locked into 32x20 and I could only mash for so long. I will be walking a bit at first for sure.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

banned
    Nov 2011
    100x6 is what I ride

mtbr member
    I have 32/18, and thinking about going 20t in the rear. But I feel 32/18 is good compromise between hills and flats. Not too slow on flat, not too difficult on hills. I'm only considering 20t for the rear, because of the closest park with single track (which I frequent the most often) has 200m rocky hill at about 45 degrees, and I feel like throwing up every time I climb it.

mtbr member
    I think only the rider can decide what the best gearing is for him/herself, based on one's fitness, and terrain they ride the most. If your favorite trail is 80% flat and 20% crazy uphills, you'll have to decide if you want to go fast on flat and walk uphill or go slow on flat and ride uphill. People on the forum can only give you a range of gear ratios (32-22/21/20/19, etc), and it's up to you to figure out what's best for you.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 4nbstd View Post
    I have 32/18, and thinking about going 20t in the rear. But I feel 32/18 is good compromise between hills and flats. Not too slow on flat, not too difficult on hills. I'm only considering 20t for the rear, because of the closest park with single track (which I frequent the most often) has 200m rocky hill at about 45 degrees, and I feel like throwing up every time I climb it.

Just keep climbing that hill.

banned
    Apr 2012
    I specifically emphasized climbing. If he posted a ridiculous 38x16 on a thread that is specifically about climbing and gear ratios, then don't you think he's trying to make it seem like he spends his time climbing on 38x16?

But anyways as an update I have bought several different chainrings and cogs, my LBS gave them to me at an outstanding price. I haven't installed them yet but I think I will start off with 32x20 and see where it takes me from there. I'll keep the thread updated.
    135 pound internet strong man.

banned
    Nov 2011
    nevermind
    Last edited by Trail Addict; 06-23-2012 at 07:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I think that we should start calling our bikes 'All Terrain Bikes' instead of 'Mountain Bikes' because I know for damn sure that some of these bikes never come close to being in the mountains, not with the gear combinations stated.

Telling us your location would go a long way towards understanding your choice of gearing. I cant imagine anything bigger than 32/20 on a 26" bike or 32/22 on a 29er. I live in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in Alberta Canada. 38/16 dude is invited to come for a ride anytime.

mtbr member
    I ride in southern Idaho. We have some really good climbs, and we've also got nice flowy terrain. I ride 34/20, and can make it up most of the hills I have to climb. I may not go very fast, but I've perfected the slow mash to keep my HR down. Thus I am better able to ride the flats and more flowy sections by maintaining momentum.
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    Im running 32-23 here for southern Ohio. I have tried 18 and 20. But for my fat butt 23 is perfect for me....

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    bump
    Last edited by bt; 06-25-2012 at 10:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Been running 32-20 here in SLC, UT for the last 5 years.......no need to change. I like to be able to adjust my riding instead of my gear ratio. It's quite nice to spin a little on the flats after mashing it up some serious steeps!! Definitely depends on the main terrain of your domain!!

SS Pusher Man
    The best gear ratio you can climb on is the one that your ego can handle the best. If you cant handle others riders giving you crap because you are not running 2:1....then you will probably be walking quite a bit.

My ego is fine with 32x22. Can climb most trails here in So. Cal comfortably, and be able to actually sit on gradual climbs.
    Bicycles don’t have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

banned
    Nov 2011
    32x18 seems to be working just fine for me. It's a hell of a workout but it will build up my endurance more than where it's already at.

Thanks for the replies guys.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I revert back to a 35x19 when I need to go easy - coming from the midwest in a location where the climbs are steep yet cover about 400' of vertical per climb (or less).

My question back is: What did you do to convert your Scott Scale to a S.S.?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Necro quote post. Here's a Strava segment. It's steep. It's ~350 yards, so it's close. It is NOT 13mph. ~30 pound 38/19 69er and I'm 205lbs

https://www.strava.com/activities/482997964

Downcountry AF
    Revival!!!!
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin View Post
    Necro quote post. Here's a Strava segment. It's steep. It's ~350 yards, so it's close. It is NOT 13mph. ~30 pound 38/19 69er and I'm 205lbs

https://www.strava.com/activities/482997964

That is a road segment....not sure what your point is????
    Bicycles don’t have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

No known cure
    34X20 on my two 26" single speeds has worked fine in Big Bear, CA and now Prescott, AZ. I had no where to start so I simply asked my frame builder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best gear ratio for climbing?-20160131_132141-2-.jpg  

Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    For mostly climbing, I'd start with 32-20 and work from there.

It's a good ratio and you can adjust up or down from there.

I started with a 32-20 and moved to a 32-18 for my everyday gear ratio on my 29+. Sure I still walk some sections, but it's the best overall ratio for me and my fitness (for now).

Fort Ord/Sea Otter is where I ride 99%of the time.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    32/21 on my 13.5kg 29er and I'm still walking bits of most rides.
    34/20 on the 26er, but it's about 10kg, so feels similar.

mtbr member
    Sitting down, Standing up, walking - those are my three gears.

I use the last one A LOT in Japan. This place has nothing but steep hills! I ride 32:23 on 29+ rubber. Most of the locals on "skinny" 29ers are on 32:22. Nobody is unfit or fat/heavy, but shit's steep.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter one bit - just ride the gear that gives you the most fun on the trails.

On a 29er I'd say start on 32:20 and go from there. Buy a bunch of cogs - most singlespeeders have a bunch of cogs in the garage.

If anything get a rigid fork - makes for so much more fun embracing the grind on the climbs ;-)
    Age is a state of mind

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    32x22 on 29er in Colorado. I could probably ride 32x20, but that's easy to say here at the computer in my office. When I'm in the mountains I am very happy with my set up

mtbr member
    30 tooth oval with white ind 23 rear. Great for the technical, and I sit longer on climbs. Along with plus size 29 wheels; rigid SS is too much fun . I'm 46 and 190 lbs. I'm all about keeping it fun.

mtbr member
    This is a total math nerd question, but for you guys who write "x" in between the ratio.... Like 32x20. . . Why do you do that? A ratio is fraction. It's division.

32 / 20 X 29 = 46.4 gear inches

32 / 16 x 26 = 52 gear inches

etc.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4130 View Post
    This is a total math nerd question, but for you guys who write "x" in between the ratio.... Like 32x20. . . Why do you do that? A ratio is fraction. It's division.

32 / 20 X 29 = 46.4 gear inches

32 / 16 x 26 = 52 gear inches

etc.
    Technically when quoting ratios, isn't the correct way to do it, like this?: 32:16 (2:1), 32:18, 34:20, etc.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4130 View Post
    probably the same reason why a board approximately 2 inches in one dimension and 4 inches in the other is called a "two by four" or 2x4. or a "four by four" truck is a 4X4. X is not a mathmatical stand-in, but a lingual one for "by." it's not accurate and probably confusing, but one of those things that has just become a kind of colloquialism within the cycling community.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Um....the one you like?

No seriously, it's just trial and error for the terrain around you (probably echoing much of this thread!). Most folks around me (Austin) run 32:20. I ran 32:19 for a long time and was fine, then switched to 30:19 with 170mm cranks after a proper bike fit. Feels great to me, climbs a little easier and I don't feel like I'm giving up much on the flats. Plus it gives a bit more chainring clearance for the constant ledges and rock gardens we call trails!
    Pedal through it!

Rod
    mtbr member
    Can we just leave this four year old thread alone? There's no hope for the OP if he hasn't figured out his gearing by now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    32:22 and can make just about all steep technical climbs. cant go very fast on flats tho

mtbr member

Can someone remind me what the issue is with sticking to a 1xN geared bike ? Seems alot of trouble and cost building the perfect SS for climbing. Commuting or cruising I can understand but climbing, hmmm

Actually, don't remind me. I can guess.

mtbr member
    Nice revival of the thread.

I have to assume there is a reason a big bike manufacturer named Specialized has a 32/20 on the Crave SL. Probably because, like floorguy724 said, it is a good starting point. When I was new to the SS game that is what I rode and even raced for the first time and it worked well.

FWIW, I ride trails around Bend, OR and run 32/17 this year after graduating from 32/18 last year. It keeps the technical stuff plenty challenging while giving decent speed on the flats.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by c8stom View Post
    Can someone remind me what the issue is with sticking to a 1xN geared bike ? Seems alot of trouble and cost building the perfect SS for climbing. Commuting or cruising I can understand but climbing, hmmm

Actually, don't remind me. I can guess.
    The issue with 1xN is if N>1 then it's not a single speed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    32x20 works a charm where I ride (SoCal mountains--Angeles, San Bernardino, etc.--rocky, gnarly climbing…constantly….climbing….). Maybe I'm not that strong but even with 32x20 I still almost never sit down

edit: didn't realize old thread. let it die

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nomit View Post
    edit: didn't realize old thread. let it die
    And that makes it irrelevant?

mtbr member
    GHEY- just ride your effin bike. Put whatever gear you want on it, when it sucks try a different one. And eff you math nerd. This is not math, its riding bikes. For ****s sake, some people try to make riding bikes like real life with rules and shit.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    Put whatever gear you want on it, when it sucks try a different one.
    Amen! Haaaaaaaa!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    33:21

It's a scientifically proven fact that chainrings and cogs with an odd number of teeth are easier to pedal. Even better than oval.

mtbr member
    GHEY- just ride your effin bike. Put whatever gear you want on it, when it sucks try a different one. And eff you math nerd. This is not math, its riding bikes. For ****s sake, some people try to make riding bikes like real life with rules and shit.
    And I even got neg rep from Varaxis. Thanks Choda-Boy!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    And I even got neg rep from Varaxis.
    I understand why.

mtbr member
    I run a 34x22 on the 29er.

On steep climbs I have to say the 180mm cranks also help a lot with out of the saddle efforts

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedScott View Post
    I run a 34x22 on the 29er.

On steep climbs I have to say the 180mm cranks also help a lot with out of the saddle efforts
    I've just changed from 180s to 175s to help with my spinning.
    Yet to see any climbing impact.

Always in the wrong gear
    32x22 29er.
    Spinning out at 120rpm only going 14-ish mph gets a little annoying some days, but I can generally ride 100% of any loop, so it's a trade-off I'll take.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    32x22 29er.
    Spinning out at 120rpm only going 14-ish mph gets a little annoying some days.
    I treat it as enforced recovery and only spin to about 100rpm

Members who have read this thread: 10