Best (or favorite) singlespeed cassette cog that won't break the bank- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Best (or favorite) singlespeed cassette cog that won't break the bank

Hey all,

I just finished setting up my big bike up singlespeed with the help of a cheap stamped redline cog as an experiment and really enjoyed it. I have been mostly out of the singlespeed game for the past few years (still have a bike setup the same as I did years ago with a WI Eno hub and freewheel) but haven't had to deal with cassette cogs for a while now and am sure there are some new nicer cogs out there I should entertain the thought of.

So what are your favorites?

Looking at spending a max of about 30$ unless it's super special.

I used to run Surly cogs a lot and HBC (which still owes me a chainring). I tried an Endless cog and a niner cog back in the day, but they got chewed up FAST. Granted, this bike won't see as much wear and tear on the cog as I will likely only be pedaling to get out of a hairy situation or get a little extra speed for a jump/manuever/whatever.

Looking for a fat base a long teeth for great tooth engagement (using an alfine tensioner, so chainwrap isn't wonderful).

Cheers!

mtbr member
    most people are going to recommend Surly cogs. I have a Singleworks cog on my bike, which is about the same thing as far as I can tell.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have used Wolftooth, Chris King, Singleworks, Surly and Endless. I like the Wolftooth and Endless cogs but for under the $30 mark Surly and Singleworks are your best bet

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    People above are correct,
    I shall also recommend a surly

Only have the cheap stock cog to compare it to but it takes my 105kg mashing in its stride!

Can't say the same about the wheels I've got...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Endless bike. Help a sister out. An extremely cool sister at that. Well worth the extra 20 bucks to get that thank-you note scrawled in purple ink; frame it.

mtbr member
    Both my wife and I run endless because it's a badass company and good people.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm running Endless for the first time and so far so good.

mtbr member
    I have always run Surly, but I actually took a chance on an All City cog recently and I have been very happy with it. They are a little cheaper than the Surlys and still nice and beefy.

Edit: I'm an idiot... apparently these don't come in cassette (I swore they did)

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I like the Problem Solvers setup.

mtbr member
    I have a Wolf Tooth 20T. With only 50 miles on it and the chain has indented the side of the teeth. I didn't think I was that strong...

psycho cyclo addict
    #1 Chris King - they are very well made with no slop when installed on the drive shell/free hub body.

#2 Endless
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Tempted to try an Absolute Black NW.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    #1 Chris King - they are very well made with no slop when installed on the drive shell/free hub body.
    Mine has slop on the stock Kona Unit free hub.

mtbr member
    Bikedomeworks ('bay)
    Ride more!

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Mine has slop on the stock Kona Unit free hub.
    Fascinating.

None of that on Chris King drive shells, DT Swiss, Shimano Deore or Stan's (Chosen) freehub bodies.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    Fascinating.

None of that on Chris King drive shells, DT Swiss, Shimano Deore or Stan's (Chosen) freehub bodies.
    Just want down to the shed to test...
    Marginal slop on Deore, Stan's 3.30 SS, Novatech, WTB, Kona Unit 2015 hubs.
    Lots of slop on <2015 Kona Unit, A2Z, Mavic Aksium, DT Swiss (Roval Control 26") hubs.

Less slop than Surly cogs though.

mtbr member

This crazy 8 Ti stuff

Best (or favorite) singlespeed cassette cog that won't break the bank-0610101410b.jpg Ricky Bobby thinks these items here are the real deal. Cog and chainring can be flipped to wear the other side also! 19t cog and crank currently employed on my Lynskey.
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    using absolute black's aluminum cog with an 11 speed chain (recommended by Absoluteblack. both my cog and chainring have narrow-wide teeth the way i understand it, I don't need to tension the chain as much as I normally would. While it won't last quite as long as a steel cog, it is lighter and looks abolutley pimpin. Would recommend this. A side note, I thought this was great but am bummed it never made it to market ...EB14: Single Speed Kit in a Box with Thomson's Crate Motor, Thomson Ti Bikes, more - Bikerumor

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    On-one groove armada is a wider steel cog that works well for me and is cheap. I kind of like the solid black look personally.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by khardrunner14 View Post
    On-one groove armada is a wider steel cog that works well for me and is cheap. I kind of like the solid black look personally.
    ... if you don't mind paying $16 for a cog and $20 for shipping.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Got mine from Planet x usa... $13 and like 7 for shipping.

No known cure
    A Surly 20 on one bike and a Niner Ti 20T on the other.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    shimano dx cog. don't spend more if you don't have to. in my experience nothing is smoother or will last longer.
    my thought are pretty much the same as those in this 10 year old thread:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/s...og-241251.html

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Doesn't the DX cog require you to run 8 speedish chains?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by khardrunner14 View Post
    Got mine from Planet x usa... $13 and like 7 for shipping.
    This. Love the armada cogs. I have one in each tooth size. They last forever for my 250 pounds mashing the uphills. They're under $20 from the usa on-one site.
    Beefcake. BEEFCAKE.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Endless.

mtbr member
    King...

You get what you pay for. I've had the most consistent chain tension/life while running them. Endless is a good alternative, I've run several and had very good luck with them. They are cheaper and come in nice fancy colors, I find that the King's do last quite a bit longer though.

mtbr member
    not sure why anyone would buy an aluminum SS cog, unless they don't mind paying 4x as much for something that lasts 1/4 as long as a steel cog. or am I missing something- do Endless cogs last anywhere close to as long as a steel cog?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    not sure why anyone would buy an aluminum SS cog, unless they don't mind paying 4x as much for something that lasts 1/4 as long as a steel cog. or am I missing something- do Endless cogs last anywhere close to as long as a steel cog?
    I'm with you. I will never run an aluminum SS cog, even in my preferred 24t size. Steel or titanium only for a high wear item like a rear cog. I tried an Endless many years ago, and the teeth were deformed after a couple of rides. And no, I'm no clyd or super strong rider.

King's have been around forever and have a solid reputation. Stay away from the King aluminum cogs, though I think they stopped making them.

Surly are a good lower cost option, but they use a softer steel so they don't last quite as long.

The On One Groove Armada seems to be another solid choice. I've never used one but have only heard good things. Weird that I can't get to their US site anymore where shipping was cheaper.

For something a little nicer, check out the Wolftooth Components stainless cogs, really nice.

Then there's the Niner titanium cogs, yummy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    I'm with you. I will never run an aluminum SS cog, even in my preferred 24t size. Steel or titanium only for a high wear item like a rear cog. I tried an Endless many years ago, and the teeth were deformed after a couple of rides. And no, I'm no clyd or super strong rider.

King's have been around forever and have a solid reputation. Stay away from the King aluminum cogs, though I think they stopped making them.

Surly are a good lower cost option, but they use a softer steel so they don't last quite as long.

The On One Groove Armada seems to be another solid choice. I've never used one but have only heard good things. Weird that I can't get to their US site anymore where shipping was cheaper.

For something a little nicer, check out the Wolftooth Components stainless cogs, really nice.

Then there's the Niner titanium cogs, yummy!
    I think there is something up with the Planet-x-usa.com site. I just tried my bookmark and got redirected to the UK site. Also the Planet-X-Usa facebook page says it won't be monitored anymore and directs folks to the UK page. This must have just happened, since I was just on their page last week looking for a 19 tooth cog. Hopefully it's temporary and now I'm glad I bought as many as I did last year.

If you want an 18 or 20T cog the Q2's form Pricepoint are solid. I ran those for a few years before the Armadas. The Armada's have a 1/4" base while the Pricepoint cogs have a 3/16" base.
    Beefcake. BEEFCAKE.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    I think there is something up with the Planet-x-usa.com site. I just tried my bookmark and got redirected to the UK site. Also the Planet-X-Usa facebook page says it won't be monitored anymore and directs folks to the UK page. This must have just happened, since I was just on their page last week looking for a 19 tooth cog. Hopefully it's temporary and now I'm glad I bought as many as I did last year.
    I am under the impression that there was a fire in the US warehouse some time ago and they have not yet gotten the US store up and running again. it does not look like they plan to get it started either.

http://forums.mtbr.com/one/has-one-f...et-969189.html
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 03-18-2016 at 07:10 AM.

mtbr member
    I'm still rock'n the Homebrewed Components chainrings and cogs on both my SS. No issues what so ever.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Another vote for Problem Solvers' cog and carrier. Easy to use, no damage to the freehub.

Trail Ninja
    Tried to replace my chain frequently, going by the chain gauge 0.75, but new chain sticks to a Niner alloy cog (chain suck sort of, only on the cog). Makes noise when the chain breaks loose from the cog, making a *thun*, *thun-thun-thun* sound, since some points are stickier than others. Should've just ran that thing until something gave, rather than use my derailleur drivetrain based habits.

Going to go Surly 22t this time with a 36/37 chainring up front, but don't think it'll really matter based on my new habits. Might as well go with a $4 Shimano BMX 15/16/18t cog and a $16 SRAM DM GXP 28t steel X-Sync chainring, living with any damage the cog causes to the freehub.
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

Ahhh the pain....
    Agree that the king cogs seemingly last forever... I do however, have a JBC cog (also stainless) in a 21t that is awesome. For bigger sizes though, I usually buy aluminum cogs only because 1) I don't run them that much and 2) they're light...a 22t or 23t surly is a boat anchor!
    The Wolf Tooth cogs look a lot like a king but have cooler looking cutouts..wish they were a smidge cheaper but still I'll bet they last a long time.