Thread: Best cogs

mtbr member
    May 2008

Best cogs

I'm looking to pick up some new cogs and will probably go with either Endless, Niner or Surly. Endless is made in my home state (NC) and really light, but being aluminum, I'm wondering if they're as durable. I'm a big fan of Niner bikes and customer service. My Surly Singulator has been great so I'm guessing the cogs are good too and they're the cheapest out of the bunch.

mtbr member
    I've only had experience with the Surly cogs and I definitely plan on getting them again if these ever wear down.

mtbr member
    Surly sprockets are long-lasting and good value for money, as are On-One Groove Armada sprockets. I use Chris King (stainless).

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I am a big fan of the Endless cogs. The are more concentric vs. other cogs that I have used. Concentricity helps on direct style single speeds because it reduces the tight/loose cycle that occurs in drive-train phases. Good customer service and the chance to get cogs that match your personal color scheme.

steel is real
    +1 For Endless cogs. They are great quality and last a long time.
    ride dirt.

mtbr member
    i run endless, chris king and surly, all great!!

currently running the chris king, stainless for around 50 is a great deal

mtbr member
    Can't go wrong with any of them. But if you have concerns about Aluminum's durability go steel, doubt is more likely to hurt you than a busted cog.

I broke a tooth off an endless cog once (with the solid base I think this is about the extent of possible damage I could do to their cog without it being deliberate) and didn't notice it till I went to clean the chain some weeks/months later. I've acquired 3 more through various avenues since then and they've all been fine. Endless says they have a tight fit on some freehub bodies so make sure you're comfortable with a file if going that route
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Ive used king,on-one,surly,rennen,and I still prefer Endless over all of them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Another vote for Endless. I have one of their cogs that I bought used from a bike shop in Asheville in spring of 2012. Still running that same cog and I put about 1800 miles on the SS last year. It's amazing too how much quieter my drivetrains are with an Endless cog. Surly isn't bad, but heavy. The last Niner cog last a month before it looked worn out, and I put a new chain on at the same time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Best cogs

+1 for Endless! I've had good luck with them when I ran a freehub.
    ACCESS Stealth 3.0 carbon 29'er
    GT-R Pro
    Surly 1x1
    Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by febikes View Post
    Concentricity helps on direct style single speeds because it reduces the tight/loose cycle that occurs in drive-train phases.
    many votes for endless, but i'm trying to understand what you said. concentricity, as in more than one circle sharing a center? or, endless has better tolerances in a fixed radius than the others? this is probably a bigger issue with chainrings.

for aesthetics, and the wider base for your hub, but not cost, machined > stamped.

i'm all about circles: round wheels, round chainrings, round cogs, and turn circles with pedals.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
    many votes for endless, but i'm trying to understand what you said. concentricity, as in more than one circle sharing a center? or, endless has better tolerances in a fixed radius than the others? this is probably a bigger issue with chainrings.

for aesthetics, and the wider base for your hub, but not cost, machined > stamped.

i'm all about circles: round wheels, round chainrings, round cogs, and turn circles with pedals.
    In my experience Endless cogs have been the most concentric. The issue with cogs becoming non-concentric has it's source in tolerances.

Most stamped cogs are made by tools that produce cogs with "slop". If the cog has slop it will not fit tightly on the cassette. A cog that has slop will be pulled tight to the cassette in one place and loose in another part such that it's teeth are no longer moving concentric with the drive train.

Cogs that are produced on CNC machines are also prone to concentric issues from slop and from potential wear or tolerance problems in the tools that made them. Most cogs are made on milling machines. In some cases the "X" movement of such machines is not the same as the "Y" movement due to wear such that the computer says make a circle and the machine makes something very slightly oval. The cogs will still look good and the tolerance problem may be 0.01". The small issue may not be a problem but will produce tight/loose drive train for direct drive single speeds.

Tolerance problems can also exist if the cassette is not made correctly.

I don't know the exact machines that Endless uses but assume they are very high quality and kept in proper adjustment. The people involved care about single speeding and pay attention to the little things that make the cogs work well.

Endless also works closely with Industry Nine. The fit between Endless cogs and the cassettes they mount on is tight without binding. The result is that an Endless cog mounted on an Industry Nine wheel will be about as concentric as possible.

Endless chainrings are also nice but they only currently make rings for 104 bolt circles so the best that they can get is tolerance to match what the crank bolt circles provide. Each bolt can be the source of a tiny bit of tolerance slop.

Yes, I am such a geek and think way too much about this.... I will wrap up the novel quickly....

For chainrings I think the best on the market right now is the Race Face Cinch system because it mounts more concentrically on their crank vs. other options that I have tried.

With 100% new stuff the drivetrain is nearly perfect..... With a little wear some concentric issues will occur because the power on the chainring will deform it more in your power phase vs. the non power phase. The SRAM style single ring design can only be mounted in one phase. The Race Face ring design can be rotated to spread the wear out over time.

So as a single speed geek, my bike runs Paragon Sliders, 142x12 TA, KMC Chain, Race Face CINCH PF30 spindle crank, and Industry Nine wheels. The idea is to get an accurate drive with minimal tight/loose. I get a pretty darn concentric drive train for at least the first few hundred miles before slight wear sets in.

Does it matter?......(no, not really but I am a geek).

mtbr member
    Lots of love for the Endless cogs here, but I am not a fan. I had one many years ago, a 22t, and after a couple of rides, the teeth were already deformed/mushroomed. I took it off and never went back to Endless, or any other aluminum cog for that matter. Maybe their early cogs used inferior material, not sure.

I just think aluminum is a poor material choice for a SS cog. Even cassettes use steel and titanium cogs, and the wear is spread out over 10 or so cogs. On a singlespeed, all the wear is on one cog, wearing it out that much faster. I will only use steel or titanium cogs and they have been bombproof for me. I have used and had great luck with Boone & Homebrewed Components titanium cogs for many, many years. Unfortunately, neither are available anymore. I would suggest King steel or Niner titanium.

SS Pusher Man
    I am gonna put my vote in for the Surly cogs.....inexpensive, last forever, come in a good variety of sizes. They are not sexy or cool....kind of industrial looking.

I have put 6000 miles on my Surly cog in the last 10 months...and it still looks damn near brand new.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

mtbr member
    Problem Solvers is the latest I'm running. I very much like the fact that the cog itself is a 6-bolt, so I can use the same cogs for fixed riding. The base is a separate piece that fits a HG spline and has 6 bolts to mount the cog. I have plenty of Velosolo disc cogs already, so the PS adapter comes to good use.

SCRUBDUNKER
    I have had Endless cogs on an Industry Nine pillar carbon wheelset.

I can't tell a difference between Endless, Surly and Niner.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I struggled with chain skip on my SS and tried some different and found that they make a difference... Surly was by far the most prone to skipping, Chris King was the best, and Endless was a close second.

The Surly rings weren't the real problem but they certainly made the underlying problem a lot worse. I think it's the square-ish tooth profile on the CK that makes it hold the chain better. The Surly teeth are more pointy, which I guess makes it easier for the chain to ride up and skip.

After adding more chain tension I've almost got the problem solved - no skips at all on the last few rides.

Running 32t/14t might be part of the problem, but I just got a 12t cog, which will probably make things worse. I've optimized for descents, but I still gotta climb sometimes.

psycho cyclo addict
    Stainless Chris King cogs are my choice (though I typically buy used ones for $15-20). They fit the driveshell / freehub body quite snugly compared to others and haven't show signs of significant wear. I also run some Surly's (definitely show signs of wear over time), haven't tried Endless...

As for chain rings: Blackspire, Middleburn and MRP are what I run.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have used Surly mostly because they are cheap and I like to have all options, but I really like my Endless. I have an Alum and SS cogs coming from Wolftooth, it is nice to have another option.