best chain for SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

best chain for SS

my oem chain is just about dead.............stretched 0.75........
    i want a quality chain that is both light and strong......
    I'm 90+kgs 30ring /18 cog on 180 cranks

Cost is no issue

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Any sram 8 speed chain. Done. Buy an extra 8 speed quick link too, just in case. Been running these on my if ss and never a problem on 7 yrs.

mtbr member
    please do a search in this sub-forum for threads with titles containing the word "chain." there have been dozens of discussions on the subject.

mtbr member
    And with that post you could have offered your advice on a chain. How helpful. I am sure nobody has thought about using the search...

I have used Sram 951, 971, KMC 8.93, and z610hx. All worked well. I only used each for a short time so far as i was testing out lengths and tensioners. Currently on the 610 and trust it. I am sure its one of the heavier of those i listed. I'll take more grams for confidence.

mtbr member
    Kmc k710 sl

mtbr member
    Kmc z610hx
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    And with that post you could have offered your advice on a chain. How helpful. I am sure nobody has thought about using the search...
    And yet the question still gets asked. So clearly a search fail...

beautiful jackass
    People are going to ask questions without searching first. This is a message board, and people like to have custom answers. Get over it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    These "what's the best..." threads are always annoying because everyone has their own opinions. Might as well ask "what's the best beer ever?" or "What are the perfect sized boobs?"

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I run a SRAM 8 speed chain and do epics with it. Holds up well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fryed_1 View Post
    These "what's the best..." threads are always annoying because everyone has their own opinions. Might as well ask "what's the best beer ever?" or "What are the perfect sized boobs?"
    But it's specific to SS. So it's more akin to:

"What's the best microbrew IPA from Washington State" or "What's the perfect sized boobs on someone who is 5'6" and 115lbs?"

You'll still get a lot of variation, but more focussed opinions. What is generally meant by "best X for Y" threads is, "Can you name an X you've been happy with for Y?" They are looking for experience and testing for consensus on a solution that works. Maybe if the thread title read, "Recommend me a SS chain" you'd be happier?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dubbreak View Post
    They are looking for experience and testing for consensus on a solution that works. Maybe if the thread title read, "Recommend me a SS chain" you'd be happier?
    That's the thing... It has been beaten to death on what chain is good, bad, etc... I run SRAM 850's and never had an issue. The guy next to me could have broken three in a week and swears they are possessed by the devil.

Any number of build threads and "what's the best.." threads have been posted over the years that contain the exact information needed. Search your parts - it's not a difficult task, write up your build thread and say what you like/don't like. Or post your potential build and see what people have to say about it. Chains are a dime a dozen and there's about 7 gozillion of them out there to choose from and have of those have reviews all over the internet with people both praying to them as their gods and burning them at the stake.

I dunno... I just hate laziness and Mondays. I really don't want to be stuck behind this computer all day at work either

Members who have read this thread: 0