BEST chain for my SS application.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

BEST chain for my SS application.

OK. I'm confused about chains for my SS, and want to know what you think. What is good/bad and why.

Here are my details:
    32T race face chainring, non-ramped, 4 bolt

18T WI trials freewheel

I ride a ton. In wet mucky conditions, and good conditions. I stand and hammer.

I've heard everything...8 speed sram chain, one speed sram chain, one speed bmx chain, 3/32nd versus 1/8th. I've used all of the above, but want to know what the best solution is.

I want no fuss. Strong. My chainline my be a little off, if that matters. 3.5 mm to be exact, front to back.

Discuss, and thank you in advance.

aka baycat
    There is no one chain to rule them all. Just many personal preferences dependent on conditions, bike, and past experiences.

That said I like Sram 8 speed and KMC 610hx.

one chain loop
    3.5mm is a lot of throw. drivetrain life will be short no matter how strong the chain is. there will be mixed replies between kmc and sram's 3/32 chains. can you do anything about your chainline? like 5mm longer spindle?
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member

Thanks for asking...

Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek
    3.5mm is a lot of throw. drivetrain life will be short no matter how strong the chain is. there will be mixed replies between kmc and sram's 3/32 chains. can you do anything about your chainline? like 5mm longer spindle?
    yeah...the chainline thing is kinda hard for me to figure out. I am running a hollowtech 2 shimano XT crankset. it has a 50mm chainline. ugh.

Some have suggested running the chainring in the outer position. I think that may work, but I feel like is is ghetto-ish. nothing wrong with the ghetto, i just don't wanna live there, ya know.

i might end up having to switch out to WI cranks so I can get the correct spindle length.

my BB shell is 68mm (vassago). what length spindle would be good? I am clueless.

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by badgermtb
    yeah...the chainline thing is kinda hard for me to figure out. I am running a hollowtech 2 shimano XT crankset. it has a 50mm chainline. ugh.

Some have suggested running the chainring in the outer position. I think that may work, but I feel like is is ghetto-ish. nothing wrong with the ghetto, i just don't wanna live there, ya know.

i might end up having to switch out to WI cranks so I can get the correct spindle length.

my BB shell is 68mm (vassago). what length spindle would be good? I am clueless.
    Actually think that running the chain ring on the inside is more getto as you call it. Just one opinion on the matter. If it fixes your chainline issue then your golden.

For the WI cranks it would solve the issue, but then again your going back to square taper. I for one like the squaretaper bb, but most will argue they creak, not strong enough etc. If you do go that route give Philwood a call and they will be able to get you the right BB length. That or move some of the spacers around on the XT crank cups so it minimizes the chain line delta.

BTW favorite chain for SS usage is the Izumi Super V. This thing is made for heavy track racing duty and it shows. However it will not leave you stranded.

Back on the wagon
    KMC K810. 3/32" and and so far bombproof. I've snapped 4 separate SRAM quick link plates (yes, the plates themselves snapped in half) on 2 different bikes. The last one caused me to get a look at the surface of my knee cap and left me with an infected bursa sac. Since then, I've been running the KMC with no issues for over a year.

FWIW, I only had issues with the SRAM when riding rigid. It's like the extra vibrations / jostling from riding without suspension can cause the quick-link to pop open on one side, thus snapping the other plate in half. The KMC master link is a much more secure lock, in my opinion.
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

mtbr member
    How about the SRAM PC-1? I just ordered one from CRC, one of the dedicated singlespeed chains that caught my eye.

Expert Crasher
    Run a good 9 speed chain w/ a good quick link (nothing wrong with the SRAM links), keep it clean and lubed and you will be fine.

My preference is for the SRAM PC-991 or Shimano HG-93 - both good quality 9 speed chains. I've used the SRAM gold quick link on both, 4000+ miles in the past 2.5 years and haven't broken one yet.

See #4.
    http://www.surlybikes.com/blog/spew/...d_drivetrains/
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I always run SRAM 8 speed chains on my single speed and fixed gear bikes. Never had a problem.

mtbr member
    thanks for all the replies. I think I might stick with the sram 8 speed chains.

i've been messing with the chainline and something is off. surly told me that the rear hub would yield a 53.5 mm chainline. So, I moved the front chainring to the outermost position. WAY OFF.

So i moved the chainring back to the middle position, and things are looking better now. Once I get the new chain and freewheel and get everything situated, i'll post some photos.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    There is no one chain to rule them all. Just many personal preferences dependent on conditions, bike, and past experiences.

That said I like Sram 8 speed and KMC 610hx.
    I am with you and THOR29...go with an 8-speed SRAM...

Members who have read this thread: 0