best 26" disc fork under $125- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

best 26" disc fork under $125

A slick disc only carbon fork would be awesome but all of them I'm seeing are rather spendy. What would you recommend in the under $125 range? I know a 1x1 fork would be tough as nails and the salsa cromoto looks alright as well but I would hate to overlook something that is much better for not much more money.

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    Mosso offer an aluminmun rigid fork on E-Bay. I have three of them. They are light as sh%t and cheap about $50. really a great fork. They ship from China and take a while, but are worth every penny. You won't be disappointed. try them,

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have a Salsa Chromoto on my Jamis Exile and it rocks. I weigh 220 and am about as subtle as a monkey on crack when I ride. The fork is tough, and gives a little more than the 1 X 1. I love mine.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Mosso also makes a CF on ebay, methinks.

I have a dimension steel fork and it was fine. I'd probably get a Salsa if I were spending the monies.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Go for a 1x1 fork so you can run a big front tire.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    does anyone know what the max tire size is for a Cromoto 26?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have a set of 2.35 Shwalbe Big Apples on my 26'er Cromoto...plenty of room

also the cromo's a great fork

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

not only which but should i?

ive been shopping online for a rigid fork all evening. was just about to "pull the trigger" on a surly 1x1 but held off even tho i worked a helluva deal thru price matching @ cambria. i just cant decide if its the right move.

heres the story...

i blew the manitou mars fork on my beloved '01 stumpjumper this weekend & want to do sumthing pretty quick. i farted around with it last night & it looks bad. of course parts are impossible to find so i gotta send it to hippie tech just to find out what they can do & see how much more than the $150 estimate over the phone that they will actually charge. just duznt seem worth it. so afterwards i shopped replacement suspension forks. well i cant afford to spend the $ its gonna take to get anything decent & it just duznt seem right to throw a dart onto such a beautiful (in my biased opinion) bike.

so i got the bright idea of going rigid. (that sounds kinda obscene ) looks to me like i can get a lotta fork for little money with the surly. gives me a chance to try sumthing new & if i dont like it at least i can ride my baby while i take my time finding decent front shocks for it. right?

anybody here got suggestions or comments? yea or nay on the surly for an older stumpy ht? am i making any sense?

mtbr member
    CRC has Nuke Proof CF forks for 125 Euros. I have my eye on this fork to upgrade my stock fork on my SS. From what I understand Nuke Proof makes their own forks, unlike the WB, Pace, Pro, Origin 8 which are all made by the same company.

Low Rep Count
    Upgrade again! Spend the money. I got a White Brothers carbon for $274 on line after doing a little searching. Love it but I am a carbon hore!

I'm just messing with you
    @markaitch - I went through the same thing with my Phoenix. The Z2 BAM fork on it quit damping, a good replacement 80mm fork is $5-700, and it'd be a crying shame to put a cheap heavy fork on such a nice frame. So, after shopping around, I ended up with a rigid Kona P2 fork.

One bit of advice to you is to make sure that whatever fork you choose has the appropriate A-C measurement to match the frame's design, so you don't mess up the handling. That's why I went with the Kona over a Salsa or Surly.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetdog
    does anyone know what the max tire size is for a Cromoto 26?
    If you mean the 425mm axle/crown version, then the answer is as big as you like - I'm using mine with a 29" wheel and there's still plenty of clearance for a 2.35" Rampage.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    thanx for the input...
    well, i still have not been able to decide what to do. indecision has me in its grip.
    i actually did look at a kona p2, came off a shonky. i especially liked it because it was white which matches my stumpy. but the weight compared to other rigid forks? kona tech actually weighed one for me & it was 3.62 lbs, as much as the mars that i blew.
    the other rigid forks i looked at were all below 1100g. if im going to give up suspension, i at least want some weight loss. the surly i almost bought did say it was for 26' & 80mm.
    meanwhile, i am leaning back towards getting a suspension fork.
    yesterday i found a low-end 100 mm rockshox tora 289, its not the u-turn, but for about $150 & about 4 1/2 lbs i thought it would do for the time being since i am older & not very aggressive anymore.
    waddaya think? anybody?
    btw, wv_bob, where in wv are you? i lived in beckley for a couple years a while ago. beautiful country if you look past the mines.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by markaitch
    thanx for the input...
    well, i still have not been able to decide what to do. indecision has me in its grip.
    i actually did look at a kona p2, came off a shonky. i especially liked it because it was white which matches my stumpy. but the weight compared to other rigid forks? kona tech actually weighed one for me & it was 3.62 lbs, as much as the mars that i blew.
    the other rigid forks i looked at were all below 1100g. if im going to give up suspension, i at least want some weight loss. the surly i almost bought did say it was for 26' & 80mm.
    meanwhile, i am leaning back towards getting a suspension fork.
    yesterday i found a low-end 100 mm rockshox tora 289, its not the u-turn, but for about $150 & about 4 1/2 lbs i thought it would do for the time being since i am older & not very aggressive anymore.
    waddaya think? anybody?
    btw, wv_bob, where in wv are you? i lived in beckley for a couple years a while ago. beautiful country if you look past the mines.
    Personally I let where & how I ride dictate what I ride.

In the winter when our PNW hardpack has turned to mud and the high country is under snow and rides are shorter and speeds are slower, I ride rigid. But this time of year, when I'm bombing 8 mile long chattery descents with roots, rocks, switchbacks, braking bumps and extended stretches that require endless brake lever squeezing, I wouldn't consider a non-suspended front end.

Seems like if you're not sure which way to go, a rigid fork would probably do just fine.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

I'm just messing with you
    Quote Originally Posted by markaitch
    btw, wv_bob, where in wv are you?
    I'm in Barboursville.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Proud Snob
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by henrymiller1
    Mosso offer an aluminmun rigid fork on E-Bay. I have three of them. They are light as sh%t and cheap about $50. really a great fork. They ship from China and take a while, but are worth every penny. You won't be disappointed. try them,
    By chance are the decals on top of the clear coat? Can they be removed easily?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I can put that surly fork on a scale if you want but AFAIR they claim a little over 2lbs. I ended up using a fork from Redline 29'er since it had the right axle to crown ($35 off craigslist).

Members who have read this thread: 0