Best $$/quality Rigid fork?- Mtbr.com
    you go ahead
    Feb 2005

Best $$/quality Rigid fork?

well the title explains most...

I'm looking for an affordable rigid fork that won't break in its first year of use
    I don't have discs yet, so disc tabs are not essential.

And finally, I have no idea what suspension corrected means, so would someone enlighten me? This frame I'm SSing is a '95. If that helps at all.

Thanks
    rustybearingz

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBearings
    well the title explains most...

I'm looking for an affordable rigid fork that won't break in its first year of use
    I don't have discs yet, so disc tabs are not essential.

And finally, I have no idea what suspension corrected means, so would someone enlighten me? This frame I'm SSing is a '95. If that helps at all.

Thanks
    rustybearingz

the Kona P2 is a good value at $50-60 or so, not sure if it is available with both disc and canti mounts tho.... otherwise, Surly 1x1 has both. I think the P2 is shorter at 410mm a-c, which Kona says is 80mm-corrected and is short in comparison to other 80mm-corrected rigid forks. Does that 95 frame take 1-1/8" headset and is it unthreaded? If not, you might be limited to something like a Dimension/QBP fork (and/or have to get a new headset and/or stem).

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    the Kona P2 is a good value at $50-60 or so, not sure if it is available with both disc and canti mounts tho.... otherwise, Surly 1x1 has both. I think the P2 is shorter at 410mm a-c, which Kona says is 80mm-corrected and is short in comparison to other 80mm-corrected rigid forks. Does that 95 frame take 1-1/8" headset and is it unthreaded? If not, you might be limited to something like a Dimension/QBP fork (and/or have to get a new headset and/or stem).
    The frame is unthreaded...

Thanks for the input btw, I'll go look up the P2.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Kona JUmp fork also

The frame is unthreaded...

Thanks for the input btw, I'll go look up the P2.
    The kona jf or Jump fork is similar to the P2 but a little beefeir, about 2.4-2.5 pounds, compared to just under 2 #. I found mine at a bike swap 2 years ago for the staggering price of$25 it was a takeoff from a Kona scab FR rigid HT. It comes with both disc and canti post, but I cut off the canti tabs and repainted it, can't hardly tell. I think the lengh is very similiar to the P2, but it should be a little bit tougher.

mtbr member

check your LBS

mine had several rigid "take offs" from bikes that customers had added suspension to

got a Specialized cromo rigid fork for $10, and they cut it down for me

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Cheap on eBay

I just bought a CroMo silver polished (non suspension corrected fork) on eBay for $1, with shipping it came to $11. Great deals @ Tony's Bikes.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    As you probably know, not all rigid forks are created equal. I've ridden a few now and some were so rough I felt my brains leaking out of my ears after about a mile or so. Others are so supple (if that's possible on a rigid fork!) that one forgets all about suspension forks and the like. I'll give another vote for the Kona Project 2 fork. I'd argue it does indeed have the best $$$/quality ratio of any rigid fork on the market.

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    Anyone like or dislike the Surly 1x1?

It's $43 on webcyclery, while the Project 2 is something like $54 at bikeman.com

Not a big difference, I'll admit.

King Pin

Smile Surly...ahhh.

Nothing wrong with the Surly 1X1 fork, nor the Surly Instigator offering. I use 'em both and trust that I won't lose any teeth with either!

I've broken several good steel boutique forks in my career, yet continue to trust those produced by Surly without question.

Currently using the Instigator on my 1X1, Ti Sofa King and Santa Cruz Chameleon without incident. Not the lightest on the market, but I can't break one! Momma's "soon to come" Retrotec wll be awarded a custom painted Surly fork as well.

(I'd also happily trust a Kona Project fork if they would make the fork tubes long enough for me!)

It's $43 on webcyclery, while the Project 2 is something like $54 at bikeman.com

mtbr member
    May 2005

Kona Project 2

You can get the Kona Project 2 with disc tabs at bikeco.com for $50 or the canti tabs that are triple butted for $57. I actually just picked up a Kona Project 2 off ebay for $1.50. I haven't got it yet though.

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Barby
    You can get the Kona Project 2 with disc tabs at bikeco.com for $50 or the canti tabs that are triple butted for $57. I actually just picked up a Kona Project 2 off ebay for $1.50. I haven't got it yet though.
    Ran way over my budget on this project, so I'll be getting a cheap-o fork for now. I'll upgrade it on some other occasion.

Don't even know how I'm going to get clipless pedals