besides the unit...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

besides the unit...

besides the kona unit, are there any other rigid cro-moly single speed bikes that are reasonably priced?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sutherland
    besides the kona unit, are there any other rigid cro-moly single speed bikes that are reasonably priced?
    Bianchi MUSS
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

Something's tingling

Iro Mia!

And the IRO Highlander. Then there's the Surly 1x1 and Karate Monkey. These new frames come with a rigid fork, whereas the Kona Unit does not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Also

Redline Monocog should be on that list too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    wow, thanks for the fast suggestions! i currently have a schwinn mesa gsd and though i was tempted to convert it, i also thought it be best to help a friend (in need of a bike..lets be honest, a riding partner). so i plan on selling him my bike after a trip in june, and with the funds gathered plus extra change purchase a straight up new single speeder.

i've been riding for about 15 years, i took a 4 year break, got back into the sport and was swamped by new technology....affordable front suspension, affordable disc brakes etc. although i like the disc brake technology...i really don't care for front or rear suspension systems (too much work). all my bikes prior to the mesa gsd were non-suspension, steel schwinns.

reason on going single speed: simplicity. i stay in one gear anyways, the only time i would adjust was on descents to get more push for the upcoming ascent (that would be the only real adjustment for me in converting to single speed...and the easier maintenance).

the bianchi, iro, and redline all look rather promising. there is a bianchi dealer in town, but i think for the price, the redline and iro look to be the best (must be mailordered though).

any personal testimonials on the redline and iro?
    Last edited by sutherland; 06-01-2006 at 09:31 AM.

"Mr. Britannica"
    KHS solo one, msrp $549

ali'i hua
    on-one inbred.

www.on-one.co.uk

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Go to your Bianchi dealer and see if they can get you a closeout 2005 SASS. I just got one for a good deal off MSRP since it was last years model.

The devil is an angel too
    Mar 2005
    I'd also look at the Jamis and GT singlespeeds. Both steel, yes they are not rigid, but fifty bucks will solve that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious
    And the IRO Highlander. Then there's the Surly 1x1 and Karate Monkey. These new frames come with a rigid fork, whereas the Kona Unit does not.
    Sure it does:

http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_ca...7&parentid=253

.....or were you talking about just a frame purchase? If so, you are correct, I believe.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    actually looking for a complete bike. i was leaning towards the redline and the iro. sorry, i can't bring myself to spend 1,000+ on a single speeder (it just seems like a contradiction)...and if i did, i would build it myself from components of my choice.

the more research i do on the iro, the more it sounds appealing. i'm not too familiar with the quality of the components on the bike, so i'm hoping people could provide me with some info/experiences regarding the bike.

one thing that looks to be assured with the iro is the customer service. and i've heard high marks regarding the frame quality.

mtbr member
    as far as the redline goes... It's a great price but there are a number of things that are begging to be upgraded.... the brakes and head set are the most needy things... the fricken head set on that thing never stays tight.... other than that... I love mine

Something's tingling

That's what I says!

actually looking for a complete bike. i was leaning towards the redline and the iro. sorry, i can't bring myself to spend 1,000+ on a single speeder (it just seems like a contradiction)...and if i did, i would build it myself from components of my choice.

the more research i do on the iro, the more it sounds appealing. i'm not too familiar with the quality of the components on the bike, so i'm hoping people could provide me with some info/experiences regarding the bike.

one thing that looks to be assured with the iro is the customer service. and i've heard high marks regarding the frame quality.
    I bought my Mia! as a frame and built her up with my own parts. Tony at IRO was easy to deal with and answered all my questions before I took the plunge. For the price, the frame has taken what I dished out (including my clyde-ish weight). Neutral handling all around from shredding singletrack to grinding climbs. Just be sure you zip-tie the brake line that runs under the top tube because it will chatter on small bumps.

As an added bonus, should you want to try a 96er or 29er SS, those wheels will fit in there, too.

Something's tingling

Oops.

Double post
    Last edited by Curious; 06-01-2006 at 03:06 PM.

mtbr member
    I had never hear of IRO before... I just checked out their bikes... look like preaty sweet deals. sytlen too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i was amazed by the praise it has received. i went forum hopping on several sites and found most praise coming from roadies with trial bikes.

i'm still not too sure about some of the components on the bike. it's difficult to gauge because every thing about this bike, excluding the brakes, seemed to have been fabricated in house. i'm pretty sure the components are equivelent to or beat out my 2005 schwinn mesa gsd.

mtbr member
    sweet... are you looking to have a 29er or 26? if 29, then you should check that the weels fit. Curious said they do... but it would be a good idea to double check with IRO... as for parts... is there any way you could test ride... thats realy the best way to know, although... I didnt have a chance to test ride the monocog... I just ordered it, hoped it was the right size, and rode it when it got here... i am happy with it though... It was my first dedicated SS and first 29er... both have advantages and disadvantages but I like it. it would be nice to have a more versitale bike as well... I had to sell my other mountain bike, because I wanted the redline and a comuter/cyclocross.

Got Mojo?
    Soma 4one5 if you can find one.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

"Mr. Britannica"
    i was amazed by the praise it has received. i went forum hopping on several sites and found most praise coming from roadies with trial bikes.

i'm still not too sure about some of the components on the bike. it's difficult to gauge because every thing about this bike, excluding the brakes, seemed to have been fabricated in house. i'm pretty sure the components are equivelent to or beat out my 2005 schwinn mesa gsd.

those parts are not 'fabricated in house'... more than likely they are relabeled (think Nashbar or Performance forte'), as are the frames

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    thanks to everyone for your advice. i strolled into the lbs today and they said they could get GT, Haro, and Redline single speeders in. while the sales man was rambling i got distracted by some of the fuji roadies, but mehhhh...i think i have settled on the monocog.

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Way to go joining the monocog club (or should I say cult ), one of these days they will give us not just our own Redline forum, but a Monocog forum. There is just something about that $400 cheap thing that is just too much fun to let go of.

mtbr member
    sweet... are you going to get the 29 or 26?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i was first looking at the 26, but if the lbs can get their hands on a 29er i will go ahead and take the step up. plus i believe the new monocogs have 135 spacing and not 110. i was kinda looking forward to using the more affordable bmx hubs etc.

but once i get out of this cubicle dungeon, i will stroll into the lbs and place an order for it. now....green hubs, green crank arms....any affordable makes? quite possibly put a longer handlebar on there as well, any suggestions on a healthy length?

thanks once again to everyone for the help!

Recovering couch patato
    Nashbar SS 135mm hubs run about $30 with coupons. What about cheap BMX hubs? BMX hubs take freewheels, and the SS cassette hubs take $3 cogs that go forever.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Nashbar SS 135mm hubs run about $30 with coupons. What about cheap BMX hubs? BMX hubs take freewheels, and the SS cassette hubs take $3 cogs that go forever.
    ya learn something new everyday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i opted for the 26er. the lbs contacted their redline rep, all of the 29er were in washington, 26er were on sale and there was stock in ohio (closer by, less shipping).

a part of me wished to make the adjustment up to the 29er. they only had the 19 and 15 inch frames remaining for it, i ride a 17 on 26...so a 29er with a 15 would have worked. but, mehh went for the sale and lower shipping.

with the money saved, probably buy the stuff i wish i had a bigger stock of, a crap load of pedros chain lube, ergo grips, a rigid fork for my mesa....meh, i will probably buy a bunch of old style beer and grippos chips!

Members who have read this thread: 0