Belt drive chain stay bolt through idea..- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Belt drive chain stay bolt through idea..

Hi, I've been researching belt drive and looking at ideas to convert my rockhopper, which is currently single speed, into belt drive, using an EBB rather than track ends or sliders.

My main thoughts have been around the split needed in the rear triangle, and keeping strength and rigidity.

I have thought of a "bolt through" design which comprises of a captive nut welded inside the chain stay a few inches from the dropout and a stout bolt which passes through the dropout area into the chain stay. The join would be flanged and reinforced and the bolt must be of considerable tensile strength.

Any thoughts? It seems to me like a simple solution and a low impact solution?

Very crude sketch!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Do not cut the chain stay. Cut the seat stay. The reason why you don't see any cut chain stays conversions is because that tube has the most stress on it.

Tim

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ah ok. In that case the conversions i have seen are probably the best! Silly of me to think there may be another way! lol.

Could be hard with this frame as the stays are not round.

mtbr member
    I was looking at the Gates site, and they show a split at the dropout. Would that be possible?

Will an EBB offer enough adjustability?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I suggest use what's there, big derailleur hanger sized hole!
    cut through it from the inside of the rear triangle and into the axle slot, make a plate to cover the entire area with axle hole cut out of that.
    two chainring bolts through two holes in the frame's axle plates (one on seatstay side, one on chainstay) and the new cover plate.
    can locate the two holes off the axle or qr so the rear tri would always be aligned.

splitting rear tri's makes me nervous, so if it were my project, I'd aim for honking strong plate to hold it all together instead of aesthetically hidden.

FWIW ebb's aren't (supposed to be) able to generate enough tension for gates belts.
    not saying it won't work, just that those belts are supposed to be under serious tension to prevent skipping, whereas chains are supposed to be under no tension, just kept taut enough to not skip.
    So an EBB meant for lengthening the chain won't necessarily be designed to tension the belt properly.
    any way to check whether you can get the required tension before you start with the snippy snippy?

I've wondered whether a too tight magic gear would work for gates as an informal (and unmeasurable until tried) tensioning method.
    migth get lucky? a magic gear that was too tight would stretch the belt (hopefully enough) and the axle would always be aligned perfectly...
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    first thing to do is finalize your gear ratio and get an SS ring
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=617192

Check out the thread on my own belt drive conversion.
    Yes you can use a EBB it does give you enough tension. Sliders are the best way for a belt drive in only because it makes lining up the chain line easier. the chain line has to be dead nuts. On your bike I would split the drop out and use a plate. Gates has all the info on belt and cog/gear sizes. In my write up I explain on how to measure your stay and such.

Tim

mtbr member
    That frame wont clear the front ring, and you can't add an EBB. check what gear you want to use and make sure they have a belt length that will work with your chainstay length.

Also you can't put the belt on the ring half way and pedal it on like you can a chain, if you mount a belt in that manner it will snap on the first ride
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

master blaster
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter916
    you can't add an EBB.
    sure you can.
    http://forwardcomponents.blogspot.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.
    :D

Members who have read this thread: 0