Bells anyone?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bells anyone?

Birdman aka JMJ

Bells anyone?

Anyone else have a bell on their SS steed? As some of you know, I hand-paint bells. Pix of my work is attached. FWIW, the hyena bell is on my SS now.

I've got one or two bell orders pending and I think I've got more 2 or 3 blank bells available to paint. If anyone wants a custom painted bell, please shoot me an email.

I was thinking of doing a CarsRCoffins bell or maybe duplicate one of Fast Freddy's top caps (FF - let me know if that's okay). Of course these are custom, so your imagination is the limit.

Is this SPAM? Maybe, but I'm only going to post it here on the SS board. If anyone objects - I'll delete it.

JMJ
    Attached Images Attached Images

Birdman aka JMJ

Whoops, Hyena bell pix...

pix of my hyena bell... jmj

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman
    Anyone else have a bell on their SS steed? As some of you know, I hand-paint bells. Pix of my work is attached. FWIW, the hyena bell is on my SS now.

I've got one or two bell orders pending and I think I've got more 2 or 3 blank bells available to paint. If anyone wants a custom painted bell, please shoot me an email.

I was thinking of doing a CarsRCoffins bell or maybe duplicate one of Fast Freddy's top caps (FF - let me know if that's okay). Of course these are custom, so your imagination is the limit.

Is this SPAM? Maybe, but I'm only going to post it here on the SS board. If anyone objects - I'll delete it.

JMJ
    Attached Images Attached Images

Faster Than Your TV!

Idea! Just a suggestion...

JMJ
    if you plan on using trademarked, copyrighted, or otherwise protected material--e.g., Cars-R-Coffins name/logo--you might want to shoot the owner an email to get permission. This is especially important if you are selling the bells for a profit.

Nice work, BTW, as I've commented before. Still thinking of painting my own, since I have some ideas.
    "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!'' -- Henri Desgrange, from an article in L'Equipe

Wrench In the Gears

Birdman aka JMJ

Good point

I typically do contact the company first (IF and Sycip come to mind). In the past, they haven't minded, since I'm only doing 1 or 2 bells with their logo, and usually they're just psyched that there are MTBers out there dedicated enough to get their logo custom painted on a bell.

He he he... and I wouldn't call it "making a profit", but I get your point.

Thanks for the kudos - JMJ

Quote Originally Posted by iconoclaSSt
    if you plan on using trademarked, copyrighted, or otherwise protected material--e.g., Cars-R-Coffins name/logo--you might want to shoot the owner an email to get permission. This is especially important if you are selling the bells for a profit.

Nice work, BTW, as I've commented before. Still thinking of painting my own, since I have some ideas.

try driving your car less

nice!

I bought two of these as gifts for family, and they are great! If you have a buddy that just got his or her new dreambike, this can be a really cool thing to get. My brother-in-law got an IF club racer (at my suggestion), and I got him a matching bell. He digs it!
    Only boring people get bored.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    You don't do PM or e-mail, so how does one get in touch with you? Thanks.

I typically do contact the company first (IF and Sycip come to mind). In the past, they haven't minded, since I'm only doing 1 or 2 bells with their logo, and usually they're just psyched that there are MTBers out there dedicated enough to get their logo custom painted on a bell.

He he he... and I wouldn't call it "making a profit", but I get your point.

Thanks for the kudos - JMJ

Birdman aka JMJ

Email

My email is: john_jans@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    You don't do PM or e-mail, so how does one get in touch with you? Thanks.
    Last edited by Birdman; 02-18-2004 at 09:39 AM. Reason: oops - wrong info

Bryn Mawr Borracho
    Jan 2004

Copyrights/Trademarks

good points; selling anything, in any quantity, with someone elses trademark is a bad thing, karma or otherwise. That said, please contact me before going forward with any CRC bells. Like the idea, btw, and run the same incredibell on all of my bikes. Better than shouting "On yer' left" to other path users, and if a group of bell users are riding together, you can get quite a symphony going.

cheers,
    -Hurl
    carsrcoffins.com

Birdman aka JMJ

Got your message, and have responded

Hurl, I'm not looking for ANY bad karma. I'll await your call or email.

JMJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hurl
    good points; selling anything, in any quantity, with someone elses trademark is a bad thing, karma or otherwise. That said, please contact me before going forward with any CRC bells. Like the idea, btw, and run the same incredibell on all of my bikes. Better than shouting "On yer' left" to other path users, and if a group of bell users are riding together, you can get quite a symphony going.

cheers,
    -Hurl

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Good job! what's the price range?

i think your work is neat-o, and if you buy a classified ad, i'm sure you'll get a great response and sell as many as you care to paint.

Birdman aka JMJ

Actually, that's the point

I had a few blank bells left over that I wanted to get rid of... I really don't WANT to paint a whole bunch, otherwise I'd have a classified ad every month.

BTW, the price is $20 which includes shipping to you. Limited availability - JMJ

I'm outta here...

Quote Originally Posted by eSSq
    i think your work is neat-o, and if you buy a classified ad, i'm sure you'll get a great response and sell as many as you care to paint.

Probably drunk right now

So you're saying....

Quote Originally Posted by Hurl

cheers,
    -Hurl
    I could be in trouble with you for embroidering CRC logo on red velvet banana hammocks and selling them for $50 each at Burning Man? F%ck. Don't tell anyone at CRC, OK?

BTW: Ran in to your old mate, Chips at the 24HOP. He ran a 36:15 on a rigid Bonty. Very nice. I was awed by his Singlespeed prowness.

Also talked to Cam about swinging from the trapeze at the SSWC's.

See you in a couple of weeks.

Quoting our English friend: "Cheers, big ears".

Ken

mtbr member
    Good looking bells. We have one like that, albeit plain-looking, on our beach tandem.

However, bells are the devil. I would much rather have a rider say hello --and much rather say hello-- than ring some damn bell and expect me to know what that means. I really don't want to hear fricken Santa Claus' reindeer on the trail, either! Better yet, just scream something primal as you blow by.

Birdman aka JMJ

A devil bell... great idea!

Just kidding. I know what you mean, but the bells are for walkers or joggers wearing walkmans (that piercing ring cuts through almost anything), and when approaching blind corners at speed. Another use for them is if your riding partner has fallen way behind... a few rings back and forth lets you know everythinggs okay (2 rings good, no rings bad).

**Insert wavy flashback fade here** It all started in Quebec... I like to ride in Gatineau Park when visiting family in Ottawa, and I think they require all bikes to have bells. So I thought, if I'm gonna have a bell, it's gotta look cool!

Anyway, now the sad part... NO MORE BELLS!

I just got 2 orders for my last 2 bells. I started this thread to prompt orders for my last few bells and they're all spoken for now. Sorry for whetting your appetites then closing the kitchen. Geez, I feel like the frumpy receptionist at the local doctor's office... "Sorry, we're not accepting any new patients". You've been HMOed!

However, if you already HAVE a bell, you can send it to me and I can paint it for you. Or if you still want to order a new hand-painted bell, maybe get a few other MTBers together for a larger order (enough to make it worth my while to order 10 more blank bells), then I can do it. No probs there.

Again, thanks for the kudos everybody. Glad most of you like my work, and see ya on the trails.

JMJ

Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    Good looking bells. We have one like that, albeit plain-looking, on our beach tandem.

However, bells are the devil. I would much rather have a rider say hello --and much rather say hello-- than ring some damn bell and expect me to know what that means. I really don't want to hear fricken Santa Claus' reindeer on the trail, either! Better yet, just scream something primal as you blow by.

Witty McWitterson
    Crap. I thought you meant Bells as in "have a Bells with me."

best damned beer made in Michigan there. Yup.