Being Followed- Mtbr.com

Thread: Being Followed

mtbr member

Being Followed

Some dork was following me in his pickup truck for about 12 miles this morning.
    It started to get scary when I noticed he would stay way back, going about the same speed I was.

At first he honked at me, then passed me, then slowed down, then passed me again. I was like, whatever.

No open window to talk or yell at me, or whatever he wanted to do.

After 9 miles of creepy, I decided to abruptly stop at a boat launch. Keep in mind we're in the middle of a winter wonderland here, so there's slippery snow everywhere and I am still sore from the crashes I had earlier in the week.

So I stop, and this guy keeps on driving past me, very slow. I waited...a couple of minutes passed and I got on riding again. This Fu k k er was at the top of the hill, on someone's driveway. He pulls out and drives down the hill.

I saw in my mirror...turns around and kept the shenannigans. By now, I am scared.

Kept on riding and I lost sight of him a few times. Then again, there he was.

He wails on the HEMI (it was a Ford truck, and I know those don't have the so called HEMI), passes me, cuts in front to make a right turn on Dorn Rd...never saw him again.

I am still a little unnerved about this experience. Anyone ever had something similar happen?

mtbr member
    I never have, but it wouldn't surprise me the Wisconsin people I know

poser Administrator
    Maybe it is time to take a commuting break. Seems you gots youself some bad mojo going right now. I'm just sayin' that is some scary stuff. I have had a tailer but only for a few blocks before but miles, yer freakin me out.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Scary.

Curmudgeon
    I'd start carrying a roscoe. ;-)
    ...got chuck to join my Rock Racing SS team....

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    maybe the dude was just lost and looking for Dorn Rd?????

mtbr member
    It happened when I was younger. It kept going on for a long time, always the same person. It really freaked me out, but now we have two kids and a mortgage so I am fairly sure I can't shake her.

wot no bike?
    You probably should have noted the plate and reported it, that's creepy and you're not the last. Pretty disturbing behavior!
    pete

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelonius71
    It happened when I was younger. It kept going on for a long time, always the same person. It really freaked me out, but now we have two kids and a mortgage so I am fairly sure I can't shake her.

mtbr member

wish I had

Quote Originally Posted by pahearn
    You probably should have noted the plate and reported it, that's creepy and you're not the last. Pretty disturbing behavior!
    His lic plate was covered in snow. I am going to have nightmares about it.

banned
    Carry a cell and call the police is the advice. He was either gunning for you and your bike, disturbed, or doing this to others as well. If you call the cops, I can guarantee they'll find more on this person than you imagined.

mtbr member
    I never had something that crazy happen, but a guy with a huge, lifted, diesel Dodge Ram came up behind me at 3am and kept belching black smoke at me. He then got on his PA and started yelling stuff at me from behind. I couldn't tell what he was saying, but he would drive up the road, turn around, and pass me again while still yelling. He did this 4 times before I pulled off into a school parking lot. So very strange.

mtbr member
    People are idiots. I deem him bad karma for the rest of his life....
    I do carry a cell with, but what was I going to tell the police?
    The whole time I was thinking about my wife and little girl, and also, choosing another parking lot to arrive to so he wouldn't know where I work aside from all the other cycling stuff I do.
    Life is too short to feel like this, or to have a moron have fun at my expense.

mtbr member
    Had a moment like that with me and my wife riding back home after a group urban night ride in downtown Houston on our mountain bikes. This car obviously from a bad neighborhood with no plates was very much following us probably wanting to yank our bikes. Now we were on my turf and I could have very easily lost them, BUT my wife would not have been able to catch up. I had her ride in front of me because if she panicked and crashed I would have had a hard time turning back around in time since we were riding pretty fast. luckily i knew the area and knew we could make it to a high traffic area soon enough as long as this jerk didn't make a move. Well as soon as we turned into a crowded, well lit parking lot I told her to stop and we started yelling that the car was following us to call the police knowing the car would take off. I knew (and I was right that nobody would respond, but we were safe and that's all I cared about.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Report it as a stolen car. That'll at least get the police out for him to do some explaining...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    People are idiots. I deem him bad karma for the rest of his life....
    I do carry a cell with, but what was I going to tell the police?
    The whole time I was thinking about my wife and little girl, and also, choosing another parking lot to arrive to so he wouldn't know where I work aside from all the other cycling stuff I do.
    Life is too short to feel like this, or to have a moron have fun at my expense.
    You would have told them exactly what you posted- a car has been following you for miles and menacing you. Done. Once it's logged in, a car would have been there in no time. By making the call, you will not only be protecting yourself and your family, but perhaps others as well.

He did this because he can, and not calling confirms it.

used to be uno-speedo....
    Maybe he liked you in lycra?

Is dang happy!
    Yes, I use to have yahoos, punks or whatever mentally disturbed motorists threaten me
    all the time. It makes you paranoid as all the possible scenarios play out in your head but I eventually put those fears to rest and kept on riding.
    Are you in an area that has no cell service? I have found that since cell phones became popular the frequency of harassment has gone down greatly. If you just made a gesture that you were calling 911 it may be enough to scare them off.

I used to carry bear mace on urban night commutes in Seattle and left it at home when biking in bear country here in montana.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

one chain loop
    bike paparazzi strikes again. be safe bro.

when you feel in danger, just hit the rocket button.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

I am back!
    With all honesty scary indeed! I had that happen when I lived in NYC and commuted to my Pm shift from riverdale in the bronx to midtown manhattan and back to the bronx again. My shift use to end at 11pm and so I would be on my way home late at night. For several nights I had seen the same car around the same area kind of follow me for a few blocks. One time the car followed me for a good ten minutes almost to the point of getting into the area where I lived in. I lost him over a red light, so I thought. A few weeks later the guy was waiting for me in front of my house. Seating on his hood. He just thought that I was handsome and was wondering if I was interested in men. I obviusly was spooked, and very angry. We got into a small altercation at that point my wife had heard the commultion outside and called the police. By the time the police arrived he had left , I told the police everything that had happened and they just laughed and said that they would look into it.

Nothing ever came of it the police never contacted me again. Needles to say I never again commuted from work to home at night. It is a little silly having your bike in the subway!

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    He had probably just never seen anyone crazy enough to ride in those conditions, or maybe he thought that you were the guy who stole Bret Favre's mojo. There's one dude that you'll never see riding a bike in the snow. Watching him desperately stuffing heat packs into his balaclava was just pathetic.
    Also, the streets are full of horizontal dropouts...

BSNYC

mtbr member
    I've never been followed, but have had a few dicey situations over the years. One time, some guy started shouting at me. When he stopped at the 4-way, he pulled out his pool cue and started to get out of the car. After shouting some more incoherent nonsense, his girlfriend pulled him back into the car and they sped off.
    Another time some jerk swerved at me (going the same direction) and ran me off the road. Luckily, the shoulder was smooth, so loosing control was not an issue. I called the police when I got home, and as it turned out, they knew the guy. The cop that came to my house said they arrested his drunk ass.
    Yet another time, as I was sprinting off of an overpass and going a reasonably high rate of speed, some ******* brushed me with his car and I did an ender over my handlebars and was taken to the hospital for X-rays. Nothing broken, but I ended up with a huge, swollen mass of a hematoma, and was out of action for awhile. My old Bell hardshell (this was, after all, the early 80s) probably saved me from major head trauma.
    I guess you're lucky things didn't end up bad for you. Too much anger out there.

is buachail foighneach me
    i've never been followed that i know of, but have had a beer bottle or two thrown at me.

did you try waving at or acknowledgin him in any way? a nod? is there a chance he was calling the cops about the crazy lunatic on a bike in the middle of winter? maybe you were just going really fast and genuinely passing him back and forth? maybe you were riding down his paper route.....

mtbr member
    There was a guy here in Portland harassing women cyclists around town and one women reported it to the police and posted it to bikeportland.org. After her posting and calling it in to the police several women came forward about this individual. It took a while but they finally caught the a-hole.

mtbr member
    http://velonews.com/article/71866

i read this article on velonews today. not exactly a tailer, but just another example of how much respect we get as cyclists.
    im wearing clothes right now.

Single Speed Junkie
    Had some jack ### in a red truck down in Rochester MN pull a similar stunt, but was now as drawn out as your new friend. Our new found redneck friend was nice enough to clip us with the mirror on the truck. We never saw him again.

Now living down in NM have heard stories about some trails where you can be shot at for riding on or next to some ones land. Rumor is that a guy with a shot gun came out of his cabin and started to threaten the cyclist. Words were exchanged, cyclist felt as if his life was in danger enough to the point where he drew his own weapon and shot the guy. Not sure if this is true, but makes me wonder about what the world is coming too.

With any luck you will never cross paths again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    When riding in the center of town (Eau Claire) I don't have any problem, when I start heading to the outside where it gets less bike friendly, people can be rather rude. I've been nearly run off the road by school buses. I had a cup thrown at me. I had a guy on foot throw a rock at me. I stopped and exchanged words with him. People tend to back off when confronted by me. I usually politely inform them of my rights and if they get lippy I let it escalate on their end and remain calm. Call the police, whatever. Usually people yell at me to get off the road. I yell back, "I have a right to the road!" Sometimes they try to start **** but I can handle myself. I always feel like I'm at war with the cars, especially in the winter.

mtbr member
    I've had bottles (missed in all occasions ) thrown at me, people yelling at me, etc. Goes with the unseen warning. Kind of like cigarettes: WARNING - Cycling as a mode of transportation requires balls of steel, so watch out for jerks

Single Speed Junkie
    It does take balls of steel to ride the road. I normally avoid it because of this.

Recall on occasion where I was hit by some teenage lady. She pulled right out in front of me and I went over the hood. Of course her reaction was to speed away leaving me in a pile on the side of the road. Picked up the bike and caught her at the next light. Funny thing is that she would not make eye contact even though I was knocking on her window. Light turned green and that was the last I saw of her.

Funny how 99% of cities are now designed around the car. One would think that travel by foot followed by bike would of been our primary mode of transportation historically. Now if you choose to travel by any other means besides an Auto you have automatically become a second class citizen.

Knuckle Smuggler
    I'm guessing he is one of those hardcore Packer fans. You know, the ones with the big yellow and green G on their mail box and the giant Packers mural on the garage door--now that football season is over, those freaks don't have anything else to do...

You probably remember all the weird stuff that used to happen to me in S.E. Wisconsin. One of the guys on my road team would pack a .38 just for the occasion.

Carry your cell phone, take a picture of the jackass, and call the POlice next time.

I really do think he is a Packer fan. I think there's a underlying correlation between Packer fans and commuter stalkers somewhere in this story...

I am back!
    John Wayne style! I wonder how many grams the .38 added to his cycling weight
    Growing up in the big apple I have heard my share of stories. We are a bit short of pick up truck rednecks but no shortage of wackos. We have cabbies, I am not sure if cycling in the roads around NYC or in the city in it self qualifies as an extreme sport. In my day I have heard stories of cabbies catching the broadside of a bike in the face after bumping a cyclist of the road. Or the messenger who cought a ride on the hood of a cab for a few blocks with his bike attached to his feet. I had the door opening act done to me once and still proudly have the chip on my tooth to remind me. Talk about agressive riding!

Some MTBers pack guns when going to certain trails upstate where hunting is allowed. Since back the 90's someone was bike jacked while riding solo by some kids with shot guns that were out supposedly turkey hunting.

Everywhere in the developed world cyclist are respected in some 3rd world countries like Colombia, Bolivia, Peru and even the Dominican Republic cyclist are respected, cycling news sometimes make the front page on their newspapers.On sundays after church is normal for families to line up on the side of the roads to watch the colored caravans of cyclist going out into the mountains. It is a shame that in the greatest nation in the world we are seen as a pest. Even though the USA has produced the best and most prolific winning cyclist of our generation.
    Last edited by markito200; 02-09-2008 at 08:47 AM.

wot no bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by markito200
    I had the door opening act done to me once and still proudly have the chip on my tooth to remind me.
    Not to change the subject but a courier friend of mine gave me some great advice regarding getting doored: If a door opens and there's no way you're not going to hit it, try to veer your bike inwards towards the car rather than away from it. If you're lucky you'll jetison through the "V" gap the top of the door makes with the car frame, and won't slam your body into door. I thought that was great advice. Anyways, as you were.
    pete

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Scary stuff! Why do they do this s**t? Because they can. What can we do about it? Not riding solo is key. as is carrying a cell, and using it. You could pack heat, but then you'd always be seen as the one escalating, and in the wrong, almost no matter what. Plus, the recoil makes it hard for me to keep the bike steady But...better to me judged by 12, then carried by 6. I have to confess that the .45, stuck in my Lycra pants, looks ridiculous. So, I've stopped wearing Lycra. Coincidental or not, the amount of harrassment I get has dropped off to nil

mtbr member

its ok now

Quote Originally Posted by Doggity
    Scary stuff! Why do they do this s**t? Because they can. What can we do about it? Not riding solo is key. as is carrying a cell, and using it. You could pack heat, but then you'd always be seen as the one escalating, and in the wrong, almost no matter what. Plus, the recoil makes it hard for me to keep the bike steady But...better to me judged by 12, then carried by 6. I have to confess that the .45, stuck in my Lycra pants, looks ridiculous. So, I've stopped wearing Lycra. Coincidental or not, the amount of harrassment I get has dropped off to nil
    its ok now. I've not ridden since then. I got pneumonia on Friday and just got it taken care of yesterday...and it hurts, so no riding for a bit.

I have to choose a different route now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Sorry to hear you got pneumonia...hope you recover speedily! Heh...it'd be really ironic, surviving a potential assault from a creepo, only to succumb to pneumonia, sustained from riding in the snow!

Sweep the leg!
    You got purty mouth... Was I too obvious? Okay, I'll go back to the binoculars.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by markito200
    John Wayne style! I wonder how many grams the .38 added to his cycling weight.
    A .38 is John Wayne style? I'll admit I know nothing of John Wayne, but I imagine him having a big honking .357 Magnum. Our .38 special was my favorite pistol to shoot in my pre-teen years because it didn't pack a kick like the .45 so I could have fun with it/group well with it.

Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by pahearn
    Not to change the subject but a courier friend of mine gave me some great advice regarding getting doored: If a door opens and there's no way you're not going to hit it, try to veer your bike inwards towards the car rather than away from it. If you're lucky you'll jetison through the "V" gap the top of the door makes with the car frame, and won't slam your body into door. I thought that was great advice. Anyways, as you were.
    And you are going closer to the jack ass that just opened the door on you too, and more likely to 'accidentally' hit them.

mtbr member
    Reminds me of the movie, Duel.

mtbr member
    Duel on bikes...the perpetrator would have to be a 300+ linebacker on a huge tricycle.

WHEELVALUTION
    With fist flying thro the air........contact sports?
    Okay,okay,so how do I put it back together,and where did this spring come from

WHEELVALUTION
    over in england in my early teens a guy opened his semi truck door on me,I was lucky that the corner of the door was one that goes over the wheel arch so there was no corner,just enuff for my head to get past.If it were a normal door It properbly would have taken my head off or broke my neck,here in N.Z there isnt a great deal of big news worthy reports but we get our fair share of abuse and near misses,awhile ago an escaped prisoner shot and killed 3 people in a reserve ,a quod bike rider and I think it was a farther and daughter on a bike ride,we get afew hit and runs resulting in death as well,becouse of gun laws here you wont find anyone with a gun on the trails unless they are tending to their crops.I can only imagin what it is like to ride in a majer city like N.Y

dh1
    mtbr member
    Just be thankful it wasn't Chuck Norris. You would have been dead by now.

mtbr member

or Danny

Quote Originally Posted by dh1
    Just be thankful it wasn't Chuck Norris. You would have been dead by now.
    or Danny Trejo

http://ernestolube.com/danny/danny.html

WHEELVALUTION
    Now Danny is the man to be fearfull of,Mucho respect for the homeboy

Members who have read this thread: 0