Been thinking about SS for a long time - here is my situation- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Been thinking about SS for a long time - here is my situation

I live in Florida, a plus for SS riding IMO. My main trail of choice is Santos in Ocala.

I have a Jamis Komodo with a crappy derailer which makes me want to switch to SS even more.

I pretty much commute in middle/middle at all times. Is this the proper setup for a SS bike as well?

My main question is what gear to set it at and what to tell the LBS. I am expecting a conversion to cost around $100 I would imagine.

Anyone convert a Komodo? I am sure it is fine, just curious, since it is a DJ hybrid.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    go here:
    http://www.mtbr.com/ssfaqcrx.aspx

gearing is up to you....find the gear that fits the most situations for your area and go that way....

and just so ya know...you can SS anything*....

* well....maybe not socks or soup....but pretty much everything else...
    Click Here for Forum Rules

Apr 2007
    Dude, you can do this yourself. You don't need no bike shop help. It's very very easy. First, look at what your middle chainring is (usually 32 or 34T). Then look at which cog your chain is on. You can either count the number of teeth or some have them stamped. That's your ratio.

Nest steps just involve taking off that nasty shifting bits, adding chainring/cog, and a tensioner. 5 year olds can do this, so don't worry.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    Dude, you can do this yourself. You don't need no bike shop help. It's very very easy. First, look at what your middle chainring is (usually 32 or 34T). Then look at which cog your chain is on. You can either count the number of teeth or some have them stamped. That's your ratio.

Nest steps just involve taking off that nasty shifting bits, adding chainring/cog, and a tensioner. 5 year olds can do this, so don't worry.
    I didn't know 5 year olds had cassette removal tools!
    That's really cool, when I was 5 we just had wooden blocks, plastic toy soldiers, and stuff like that.

Will the 5 year old know that he has to buy a spacer kit to go with that new cog? If so, I'm really impressed by the bike knowledge that 5 year olds have these days. I've met dudes in their 20s who can't even fix a flat on a bike...

the discerning hooligan
    Santos will be killer nice on the ss.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    Santos will be killer nice on the ss.
    That's what I am thinking as well. I have always hated gears and thought about doing this conversion for a long time.

mtbr member
    Found a shop that will do it for under $100 with sprockets/parts.I have a cassette and basically dont have the tools or parts or know how required to do this task myself.

I guess my only other question (after reading the FAQ..excellent link, thank you) is on rigid vs suspension. I have a screwed up wrist from riding rigid BMX and was wondering if an MTB is easier to ride rigid with. I was screwing up (landing front tire first at times) and doing tricks on cement as well with the BMX. I am not opposed to switching to a rigid fork because the fork that comes with the Jamis blows and I need a new one anyway. I just wondered how it affected dirt jumping and trail riding for you guys.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    I didn't know 5 year olds had cassette removal tools!
    That's really cool, when I was 5 we just had wooden blocks, plastic toy soldiers, and stuff like that.

Will the 5 year old know that he has to buy a spacer kit to go with that new cog? If so, I'm really impressed by the bike knowledge that 5 year olds have these days. I've met dudes in their 20s who can't even fix a flat on a bike...
    I know 5 year olds that know bikes. LOTS of 5 year olds.