been hanging out in the garage lately...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

been hanging out in the garage lately...

putting this new rig together!

Why build up a singlespeed/fixed cross bike....why not! Honestly, I needed something for winter road rides(they use tons of road salt around here and I didn't want to trash my nice roadie), and also have been interested in riding larger wheels off road on some of my easier local trails. So...I surf eBay thinking for sure I'll get either a CrossCheck or maybe a KM, then I find this beauty!

Build is about 1/2 stuff I had and 1/2 I bought new(thanks Fast Freddy!).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004

Cable pull?

Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat

Why build up a singlespeed/fixed cross bike....why not! Honestly, I needed something for winter road rides(they use tons of road salt around here and I didn't want to trash my nice roadie), and also have been interested in riding larger wheels off road on some of my easier local trails. So...I surf eBay thinking for sure I'll get either a CrossCheck or maybe a KM, then I find this beauty!

Doe those levers move enough cable to make the V's work correctly. I had to run Travel Agents to get mine to work with Dia Compe levers.

semi-evolved simian
    Boy that looks real pretty. Had a short ride on my friend's SS/Fixie Crosscheck at the weekend, now I'm thinking I'll have to sell my old and underused hybrid commuter (replaced it with a Jake the Snake) and get something like the On-One or Surly

How's the tire clearance with the On-One frame and fork ? Can you fit 35s in there with a bit of clearance for mud ?

mtbr member

Yeah...

those levers are the Diacomp 287v's, made for pulling Vbrakes. I did have to mount them backwards to get the cable to pull smoothly. Everything seems fine now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    Doe those levers move enough cable to make the V's work correctly. I had to run Travel Agents to get mine to work with Dia Compe levers.

mtbr member

Those are

35's on the bike now. The clearance is ok with them, but I wouldn't want to ride in really sticky clay with this width. I plan on riding later this week and I'm sure it will be muddy in spots, I'll try and post a trail side shot or two showing the build up!

MC

Quote Originally Posted by Mine'sAPint
    Boy that looks real pretty. Had a short ride on my friend's SS/Fixie Crosscheck at the weekend, now I'm thinking I'll have to sell my old and underused hybrid commuter (replaced it with a Jake the Snake) and get something like the On-One or Surly

How's the tire clearance with the On-One frame and fork ? Can you fit 35s in there with a bit of clearance for mud ?

mtbr member
    Nice build! Very clean. I take it those are MTB hubs to handle the 135 mm dropout?

mtbr member

yep..

yeah, 135's. I figure if I really end up likeing the whole 700c off road thing I could always use these wheels on a KM....

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder
    Nice build! Very clean. I take it those are MTB hubs to handle the 135 mm dropout?

mtbr member

oh!

so sex-hee!
    That's a cool bike! Cross bikes should always be 1spd. All cross races should be SS cross races.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Very nice, Scott. Good score. If you have clogging issues try a less knobby tire (like a Michelin Mud cross or Schwalbe Racing Ralph 700x35). They will still grip surprisingly well.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Penis Goat!
    Wow, that turned out really nice! I like the black components. Still haven't seen your gearie roadie though!

Back to C++,
    Brian

TR
    Angry bunny
    Nice bike Scott.
    Good to see you put the 1x1 money to good use.

mtbr member

Yeah...

I was going to use the 1x1 for this type of riding but really wanted larger wheels.

Hope your having fun on the Surly, I sure did!

MC

Quote Originally Posted by TR
    Nice bike Scott.
    Good to see you put the 1x1 money to good use.

The Top Cap Guy
    Looking good my man! The wheels look very nice in there (match well and all)! Definitely paint those levers black, they would blend a ton better - unless you really plan on getting that thing muddy - where the paint on the levers will no hold up. Is that a White freehwheel on there?

Nice build Dude!
    FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

mtbr member

The wheels....

are great. No flex at all, they feel amazingly different than my 7701's on the road bike, much stiffer, but not as fast obviously!

The freewheel is a piece of shitmano I had new in the box. Haven't really ridden the bike freewheeling yet, only fixed. I plan on hitting the dirt(hopefully only the wheels hit, and not me!) this coming holiday weekend. Should be interesting to ride a cross bike around here with all the little tech stuff and short steep climbs. If all goes well I'll post a more appropriate review of the bike on dirt!

Thanks again for helping out with the parts selection. Now all I need is a FF top cap and she's finished.....

MC

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
    Looking good my man! The wheels look very nice in there (match well and all)! Definitely paint those levers black, they would blend a ton better - unless you really plan on getting that thing muddy - where the paint on the levers will no hold up. Is that a White freehwheel on there?

Nice build Dude!
    FF

mtbr member

Shig...

I hope you like the looks of this bike...cause this is the only loaner SS i have now!

I'm sure you could ride this on our trails no problem, I have plenty of gear choices too.

Let me know when you'll be in town, lets try and get the group together for a ride again.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Very nice, Scott. Good score. If you have clogging issues try a less knobby tire (like a Michelin Mud cross or Schwalbe Racing Ralph 700x35). They will still grip surprisingly well.

mtbr member

Sexy it is...

Think anybody knows what il Pompino means?

I wanna see that KM when you get it. Is it going ENO? How about talking your friends at White Ind. into make the ENO cranks in Black too?

MC

Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    so sex-hee!
    That's a cool bike! Cross bikes should always be 1spd. All cross races should be SS cross races.

Penis Goat!
    Let me know when you'll be in town, lets try and get the group together for a ride again.
    Amen! That was a great ride.

Where's Toto?

Tires???

Sweet looking ride!

What tires are you running? They look like Redlines or Ritcheys?

ride your bike

WOW! That bike is wicked stylee! Very nice.
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

mtbr member

Redlines....

picked them up off ebay for a nice price. They seem to roll pretty well and have some aggressive looking tread!

MC

Quote Originally Posted by endure26
    Sweet looking ride!

What tires are you running? They look like Redlines or Ritcheys?

mtbr member

Build question

What size seat clamp did you use? What kind and where'd you get it?

I'm having a heck of time finding a 30 mm, can't even find a 29.8. Looks like you even use a QR type.

mtbr member

the frame...

came with a QR clamp. I tried a Salsa one I had laying around, but it was just a bit to tight.

MC

What size seat clamp did you use? What kind and where'd you get it?

I'm having a heck of time finding a 30 mm, can't even find a 29.8. Looks like you even use a QR type.

mtbr member

How come you're selling it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Your bike is for sale....

Saw your bike this morning on ebay, are you selling it or is it a scam?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Build is about 1/2 stuff I had and 1/2 I bought new(thanks Fast Freddy!).[/QUOTE]

The Top Cap Guy
    That would be MellowCat's Ebay name.... no scam - I had no idea he was going to sell it - last I heard he loved it....

He must have a new project in mind??!!??

FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

Penis Goat!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
    That would be MellowCat's Ebay name.... no scam - I had no idea he was going to sell it - last I heard he loved it....

He must have a new project in mind??!!??

FF
    I'm sure MC will jump in later in his own words, but the short version is that it didn't fit as well as his Burley road bike, and he didn't really see the need for having both of them. He wants to simplify, so no project either.

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    I haven't seen a Il Pompino in a clour other than blue.
    Think anybody knows what il Pompino means?
    I don't speak Italian but I think it means blowjob.

mtbr member

Figured....

somebody would catch it on the bay.

Yes, I decided to sell it. Why, well a host of things, mostly the reality that I have a really nice top of the line road bike sitting around doing nothing. So, the other week I do 10 miles on the ilPompino and the same 10 on my Burley. Well, after that ride the On-One was no longer gettting ridden. The fit and fun just wasn't the same as the nice roadie. Where I live there are ton's of short hills(think mile long climbs at lot) and the fixie is a pain with all the decending honestly. If it was flatter here and the bike fit me better I would think differently, but its not.

I am officially a two bike person! My Spot offroad and the Burley on road, I need nothing else. Besides, I have that old sports car in the garage to finish up and I was tired of all the loose change going to bike stuff!

Please, feel free to bid and bid often!

MC

Quote Originally Posted by Burger
    Saw your bike this morning on ebay, are you selling it or is it a scam?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

[/QUOTE]

Penis Goat!
    Besides, I have that old sports car in the garage to finish up and I was tired of all the loose change going to bike stuff!
    True dat....I'm looking forward to seeing some progress on that thing!

semi-evolved simian
    MC,

Shame you had to sell, it's a pretty looking bike!

You probably didn't have much chance to try them out, but what was your opinion of those Alex DA28 rims ?

Cheers,
    Ian.

mtbr member

The wheels

are much stiffer side to side than my Shimano 7700's on my road bike, but the 7700's seem way faster...gee, maybe the huge spoke count and weight difference make them feel that way!

If I was going to build another fixie/cross/29'er I would get the Alex's again, but probably with less spokes, 32 is over kill with the rims being so strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mine'sAPint
    MC,

Shame you had to sell, it's a pretty looking bike!

You probably didn't have much chance to try them out, but what was your opinion of those Alex DA28 rims ?

Cheers,
    Ian.

semi-evolved simian
    are much stiffer side to side than my Shimano 7700's on my road bike, but the 7700's seem way faster...gee, maybe the huge spoke count and weight difference make them feel that way!

If I was going to build another fixie/cross/29'er I would get the Alex's again, but probably with less spokes, 32 is over kill with the rims being so strong.
    Thanks, they sound like a good choice! I'll be building up something with the Surly fixed/free hub, so I think 32 holes is my only option. At 200lbs I don't really want to go below 32 holes anyway.

mtbr member
    wow, someone got a deal on your bike.

mtbr member

believe it or not...

my costs were covered plus alittle bit. So not bad.

I can't believe it didn't go higher either, 39 watchers....I guess they only watch, not do!

Enjoy your on-one man!

MC

wow, someone got a deal on your bike.

mtbr member
    my costs were covered plus alittle bit. So not bad.

I can't believe it didn't go higher either, 39 watchers....I guess they only watch, not do!

Enjoy your on-one man!

MC
    Count me as a watcher... I was hoping no one would bite and I'd ask to buy your wheels...

Just got may last few parts, so I'm trying to hook up w/ my local wrench who'll put it together for me. Too busy w/ the holidays and the kid. Should be good to go for the new year.

Have a good holiday and thanks for the inspiration. Hopefully my post will draw as much views as yours.